take down the phone system to do it.

TIA

Scott
RE: rebooting CM [ In reply to ]
Scott,

Inline.... /Wes

> If I have all my phones pointed at the sub and I reboot the pub, will I
> loose any CM Services?

For the period of time the pub is down, database updates will not be
allowed. This means Extension Mobility login/logout will not be available.
Also, you will not be able to CFA or clear CFA from the phones. These
functions will be restored within ~5mins after publisher comes back online.

> Once I have rebooted the Pub and want to reboot the Sub, What will
> happen? Will it automatically re-register with the Pub?

Yes, phones will failover to pub (assuming you have it as the secondary in
your Callmanager group). The sub will reboot. Then it will come back
online and re-estabilsh all connections with the pub. Phones will
gracefully and randomly re-home back to the sub.

> How long will that take?
It's a random timer in the phones. Somewhere between 3 mins and 30 mins to
rehome to primary. It varies per version, but there is no real harm in
having a phone homed to a backup server.

> Will calls drop?
So long as you are not:
1. using h323 gateways
2. not using MTP or transcoder

MGCP is your friend. Phones will not rehome in either direction until they
are idle.

> If it re-registers with the pub will it re-register to the sub when it
comes back up?

Yes, see above.
Re: rebooting CM [ In reply to ]
I am not sure about the dropped calls, but I know the phones will all
register themselves appropriately, and then re-register when you kick
the other system. I keep up with Cisco's patch updates and do the
rebooting once a month, but never have done it while checking to see if
live calls are lost.. I think one time I tested it and as long as
you're not restarting the GW you may be ok... I don't think the CCM is
required after the call is in progress.. I think at that point packets
go from the phone to the GW....I usually do my reboots at night after
notifying the company that the phones will be offline / down for 15-30
minutes (depending how long the patches take)...

just my $0.02..