If you have received this message in error, please immediately notify
the sender and/or Fenwick & West LLP by telephone at (650) 988-8500
and delete or destroy any copy of this message.
RE: Outgoing Caller ID [ In reply to ]
The outgoing *name* is not generated by your equipment -- it's done by a
reverse-lookup that is done on the far-end (called party's) switch.

I did some research a while ago when calls made from one of our PRI's
would appear on CID displays with a number but no name. As it turned
out, there was some misconfiguration between our PRI provider and the
company that maintained the master database. Who maintained the
database? Verisign. Surprise. Turns out that Verisign bought up the
company that maintains the database a couple years ago.

As far as the displayed *number* goes, it's up to your PRI provider to
determine what you're allowed to put there. On our AT&T PRI, we can put
anything we want. On our Verizon PRI, they won't let us put anything --
they force the DID number that was used to place the call.