Mailing List Archive

Odd 7960 rebooting problem
Re: Odd 7960 rebooting problem [ In reply to ]
On Tue, Nov 18, 2003 at 09:25:13PM -0500, Peter Grace wrote:

> Dear Group,
> ~ I've had two 7960 units connected to my asterisk system for
> several months -- everything's been working fine, no complaints..
> Something odd is happening now, though. Both 7960's will crash and
> reboot, about half a second into a call once the call is officially in
> progress.. I was wondering that maybe since I've been fiddling with

What software are you running?

> my routing tables that possibly I've managed to firewall off rtp
> between the phones and the server, but I don't think that's the case
> since the sip packets do appear to correctly start the call...
>
> Does anyone know why phones would just, out of the blue, after several
> months of working fine, synchronously start rebooting?

I've never really noticed anything quite like that, are you
using the latest asterisk cvs, or 0.5 release ?

you are aware and upgraded your devices and asterisk for
the sip security stuff earlier this year I presume? :)

- Jared

--
Jared Mauch | pgp key available via finger from jared@puck.nether.net
clue++; | http://puck.nether.net/~jared/ My statements are only mine.
Re: Odd 7960 rebooting problem [ In reply to ]
Re: Odd 7960 rebooting problem [ In reply to ]
On Wed, Nov 19, 2003 at 08:29:20AM -0500, Peter Grace wrote:

> Jared,
>
> The phones are running SIP 4-04-00 -- I tried downgrading the
> software a few releases then upgrading back to 4-04 but the same
> problem persists. I'm concerned about going to binary-signed 5, since
> someone told me to do that to my last phone (which was having a
> different reboot problem) and it essentially just turned the phone
> into a $350 paperweight. What is the SIP security stuff from earlier
> this year? :) I was running a previous version of asterisk in CVS, and
> even updated to the latest CVS version, but the problem still happens...

I believe the signed binaries are to prevent the phone from
becoming a paperweight. First, it's not like someone else is going to write
software for the phones besides cisco. Second, since they use TFTP
which is a very easy/insecure protocol for fetching its software/images,
this actually will prevent the loading of a corrupted (ie: non signed)
binary on the phone if your tftp server files are damaged, or if
there is a data corruption problem while fetching the image.

I would recommend going to 6.0, I've seen no problems with it
in our environment, it fixes a lot of problems that were in the 4.x
series and provides new features that work well with asterisk.
Since the support on the phones is something like $8 /yr, you may
want to look at that.

As far as the SIP security advisory goes, please
see this: http://www.cert.org/advisories/CA-2003-06.html

- Jared