Mailing List Archive

VoIP Deployment Questions
Hi all. I am in need of some guidance regarding uptime, packet loss and
latency for national / international VoIP network. We will be rolling out a
VoIP network. The first phase of the deployment will consist of getting the
customer HQ located in Boca Raton, Fl. and one of the remote offices located
in Los Angeles. LA will have a fractional T1 to the local POP and Boca will
have a full T1 at the main office to the local POP. We will have VPNs
between the remote offices and the HQ. Future deployment will also include
New York and London. All packets (voice and data) will leave the network in
either location as a standard IP packet. I am in the process of looking at
a few different carriers and selecting one for this national / International
VoIP rollout. QoS end-to-end is a big concern for me.

One of the carriers I am looking claims that it guarantees a 99.97% uptime
and no more than .05% packet loss during any calendar month. However they
do not offer QoS.

Is this consider acceptable for a VoIP deployment? What sort of uptime and
latency and packet loss should I be looking for? Would you still require
QoS if the network utilization of the carrier is half of its capacity?

Any recommendations for carriers?

Thanks.

Mario Puras
SoluNet/SoluServe TAC Lead
Web Address: http://www.solunet.com
* Mailto: mpuras@solunet.com
* Direct: (321) 309-1410
6 Fax: (321) 676-1287
* Toll Free: 888.449.5766 (USA) / 888.SOLUNET (Canada)
Re: VoIP Deployment Questions [ In reply to ]
On Mon, Oct 27, 2003 at 11:13:24AM -0500, MPuras@solunet.com wrote:
> Hi all. I am in need of some guidance regarding uptime, packet loss and
> latency for national / international VoIP network. We will be rolling out a
> VoIP network. The first phase of the deployment will consist of getting the
> customer HQ located in Boca Raton, Fl. and one of the remote offices located
> in Los Angeles. LA will have a fractional T1 to the local POP and Boca will
> have a full T1 at the main office to the local POP. We will have VPNs
> between the remote offices and the HQ. Future deployment will also include
> New York and London. All packets (voice and data) will leave the network in
> either location as a standard IP packet. I am in the process of looking at
> a few different carriers and selecting one for this national / International
> VoIP rollout. QoS end-to-end is a big concern for me.
>
> One of the carriers I am looking claims that it guarantees a 99.97% uptime
> and no more than .05% packet loss during any calendar month. However they
> do not offer QoS.
>
> Is this consider acceptable for a VoIP deployment? What sort of uptime and
> latency and packet loss should I be looking for? Would you still require
> QoS if the network utilization of the carrier is half of its capacity?
>
> Any recommendations for carriers?

My experience is that no QoS is not necessary at all. The
key is that they have sufficent bandwidth on their network
to carry the traffic and do not perform any (significant) packet
reordering.

As part of the inoc-dba project <http://www.pch.net/inoc-dba>
i've participated in multi-country international VoIP calls where
there is no QoS involved and some people are behind cable modems
or other providers that do not offer QoS. We've seen no
problems with voice quality. The key is to insure there is sufficent
bandwidth for a constant bitrate of 88.2k/s (with g711ulaw codec - 64k
data plus ip packet overhead). Outside of that most people can not
tell the difference between VoIP and a PSTN telephone link.

- jared

--
Jared Mauch | pgp key available via finger from jared@puck.nether.net
clue++; | http://puck.nether.net/~jared/ My statements are only mine.
RE: VoIP Deployment Questions [ In reply to ]
Mario,

Voice traffic is extremely sensitive to jitter and latency, just
take a look at the Cisco QOS design guides to get an idea how critical:
http://www.cisco.com/go/srnd

"Delay can cause voice quality degradation if it is above 200 ms. If the
end-to-end voice delay becomes
too long (for example, 250 ms), the conversation begins to sound like two
parties talking on over a
satellite link or even a CB radio. The ITU standard for VoIP (G.114) states
that a 150 ms one-way delay
budget is acceptable for high voice quality. The Cisco Technical Marketing
Team has shown that there
is a negligible difference in voice quality scores using networks built with
200 ms delay budgets."

The QOS design guide and IP Telephony for CallManager design guides provide
good insight on the factors leading to good voice quality.

In TAC we see many deployments over DSL and cable modem that provide
"acceptable" voice quality so long as utilization is low, but anytime
network usage surges, the lack of QOS will immediately and directly impact
voice quality.

/Wes