i would be glad if you could help me in this project.

regards
karthi
Re: voip rural setup [ In reply to ]
On Wed, Sep 17, 2003 at 06:54:05PM +0300, Karthikeyan Arumugam wrote:
> dear sir;
>
> Dear lists,
>
> this is my first posting in the list and i hope that i get some suggestion.
>
> I am planning to setup very low cost rural VOIP using VSAT and wiress loop ie with access point
> in point to multipoint mode with IP phones at the CPE.
>
> the problem iam facing is how do I limit just only 4 users or IP conversation/call at a time.
>
> let me explain clearly...i have bandwidth through VSAT of about 34Kbps and so 4 users can have voice channels at 8 Kbps compression. for instance i have 15 users or subscribers with IP phones connected to wireless.if more users at a time request for IP call then voiceIP call would be degraded.now how do i control them.
> could you pls kindly suggest me or help on this.
>
> IPphone > Accesspoint > Router > VSAT <
>
> can you suggest where i can make to limit only 4 users at a time.
> i cant limit in the wireless loop as the AP allow all the IP call request
> what kind of low end router or access product or VOIP products i can use to limit IP calls at anyone time
> this setup is in remote rural areas. all these rural is connected to our NOC through VSAT
> if a user picks IP phone he gets IVR from NOC through VSAT:
>
> i would be glad if you could help me in this project.

What you probally want to do is do some congestion
managment. I'm not sure what sort of call manager/sip proxy/whatnot
you are using in this situation, but what you want to do
is track these users in a group of some sort and when the phone attempts
to do a call setup either provide a busy tone back or a congestion/fast busy
tone back to the user. If you signal back to the VoIP endpoint a
busy tone they will likely retry after a short period when
there are less people using the link.

I'm not familiar with VSAT (is this a satellite link? that's my
guess by the name) so can't provide much assistance with ideas
here.

- Jared

--
Jared Mauch | pgp key available via finger from jared@puck.nether.net
clue++; | http://puck.nether.net/~jared/ My statements are only mine.
Re: voip rural setup [ In reply to ]
Jared,

Not sure what protocol you're using to control the phones at the CPE.
If you're using callmanager+sccp(skinny) you can use the "locations"
feature to do your call admission control (CAC).

If you're running h323, you can use a gatekeeper.
For SIP, sorry no idea, just starting down that path.

/Wes