Mailing List Archive

Re: [External] Re: Resolving Sectigo root expiration affecting MRA
I was wondering the same thing. You may be able to skip that one, but it
advises you to restart it when updating the callmanager-trust store, so we
did it.

Re: [External] Re: Resolving Sectigo root expiration affecting MRA [ In reply to ]
Probably confusion with the tomcat cert, versus the tomcat-trust.

Remember this defect?
https://bst.cloudapps.cisco.com/bugsearch/bug/CSCuy13916

Re: [External] Re: Resolving Sectigo root expiration affecting MRA [ In reply to ]
Oh, I didn't know about that issue, but it explains why you have to restart
TFTP. Anything that takes a restart for tomcat will also take a restart for
tomcat-trust.

Why? Because Tomcat (and most apps) ship the server cert *and
intermediates* with the TLS transaction. Cisco Unified stuff seems to
generate the intermediate chain from the tomcat-trust chain. So any time
you alter tomcat-trust, you have to restart everything that serves the
tomcat cert, so that it will start serving the correct intermediates. (This
is also why you have to reboot Expressway-E when changing the root and
intermediates. It doesn't tell you this when you change them, but it will
not start shipping the new root and intermediates with its transactions
until it is rebooted - and MRA phones will not work in that state!)

For example, here I am connecting to our TFTP port using the OpenSSL CLI
and grepping for the cert CNs, and you can see it is actually sending FOUR
certs - not just the server cert. The other three are from tomcat-trust.

hf0002@burrito ~$ openssl s_client -connect vbhucmpub.voip.uah.edu:6972
-showcerts -prexit 2>/dev/null | grep -E '[0-9] s:'
0 s:/C=US/ST=Alabama/L=Huntsville/O=The University of Alabama in
Huntsville/OU=Office of Information Technology (OIT)/CN=
libimsub-ms.voip.uah.edu
1 s:/C=US/ST=MI/L=Ann Arbor/O=Internet2/OU=InCommon/CN=InCommon RSA Server
CA
2 s:/C=US/ST=New Jersey/L=Jersey City/O=The USERTRUST Network/CN=USERTrust
RSA Certification Authority
3 s:/C=GB/ST=Greater Manchester/L=Salford/O=Comodo CA Limited/CN=AAA
Certificate Services

--
Hunter Fuller (they)
Router Jockey
VBH Annex B-5
+1 256 824 5331

Office of Information Technology
The University of Alabama in Huntsville
Network Engineering

--
Hunter Fuller (they)
Router Jockey
VBH Annex B-5
+1 256 824 5331

Office of Information Technology
The University of Alabama in Huntsville
Network Engineering

On Sun, May 31, 2020 at 2:16 AM Anthony Holloway <

Re: [External] Re: Resolving Sectigo root expiration affecting MRA [ In reply to ]
We have a handful of reasons for the certs in CUCM, some to do with MRA,
some not.

- Users use the Self Care Portal, and some pickier browsers don't like
being sent the wrong root.
- Something to do with SSO? I was never super clear on this. Either our
SSO IdP didn't trust the cert from UCM or the other way around. We fixed
both at the same time, so I guess I will never know.
- We are, in fact, checking crypto for all the Expressway tunnels
(ExpE-ExpC tunnel as well as ExpC-CUCM).

Honorable mention:
- Because it's a bad idea to leave expired certs laying around in there,
and I never know what one of my colleagues may have configured that relies
on the TLS verify working. :)

--
Hunter Fuller (they)
Router Jockey
VBH Annex B-5
+1 256 824 5331

Office of Information Technology
The University of Alabama in Huntsville
Network Engineering

On Wed, Jun 3, 2020 at 8:28 AM Anthony Holloway <

Re: [External] Re: Resolving Sectigo root expiration affecting MRA [ In reply to ]
Ah ok, in your original email you only mentioned MRA, and so I was very
focused on how CUCM might need certs in the store for MRA. You are in fact
doing more than just MRA. Got it.

Re: [External] Re: Resolving Sectigo root expiration affecting MRA [ In reply to ]
We are doing a lot more than MRA, but it all kinda got wrapped up together.
The initial report being "Jabber no worky," and of course I know it's cert
related, but in my head I'm like, "well that's either an Expressway-E issue
or a CUCM issue or some issue with the traversal zone or..."

I guess if you don't use SSO, the certs probably matter a lot less. But if
you do use SSO, a lot of things happen that look like MRA issues but are
actually SSO sign-in or ticket issues.

Regarding monitoring cert expiration, emails from the CA are our go-to, but
it doesn't help when it's their damn root that's expiring. They were
shockingly silent on that, and when they did say something, it was
basically "this won't affect anything!" Wow, thanks.

--
Hunter Fuller (they)
Router Jockey
VBH Annex B-5
+1 256 824 5331

Office of Information Technology
The University of Alabama in Huntsville
Network Engineering

On Wed, Jun 3, 2020 at 12:26 PM Anthony Holloway <