Colleagues,

What IOS feature set do I need to have an NTP server (not just SNTP
client) in a 800 Series router?

If it is not available at all, what technology could I use to
broadcast NTP packets to a remote network behind a c805?

Thanks a lot in advance.
--
Victor Sudakov, VAS4-RIPE, VAS47-RIPN
Re: [nsp] NTP server in 800 Series routers [ In reply to ]
Victor,

The NTP server functionality is available in the IP feature set.

You can refer to the Feature Navigator on CCO to get what features are
available in what feature sets or releases.

http://www.cisco.com/cgi-bin/Support/FeatureNav/FN.pl

At 09:32 AM 9/24/2002 +0700, Victor Sudakov wrote:
>Colleagues,
>
>What IOS feature set do I need to have an NTP server (not just SNTP
>client) in a 800 Series router?
>
>If it is not available at all, what technology could I use to
>broadcast NTP packets to a remote network behind a c805?
>
>Thanks a lot in advance.
>--
>Victor Sudakov, VAS4-RIPE, VAS47-RIPN

Harold Ritter, CCIE 4168
Advanced Network Services - ISP East
Cisco Systems
300 Apollo Drive
Chelmsford, MA 01824 USA
Phone: 978 497 3129
Fax: 978 497 3129
Cisco Systems- "Empowering the Internet Generation."
Re: [nsp] NTP server in 800 Series routers [ In reply to ]
Harold Ritter wrote:

> The NTP server functionality is available in the IP feature set.

Does not seem to be:

SibPTUS(config)#n?
netbios no
SibPTUS(config)#sn?
snmp snmp-server sntp
SibPTUS(config)#

The box is running
IOS (tm) C828 Software (C828-SY6-M), Version 12.2(8)T1, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc2)

> You can refer to the Feature Navigator on CCO to get what features are
> available in what feature sets or releases.
>
> http://www.cisco.com/cgi-bin/Support/FeatureNav/FN.pl

Yes, according to the Feature Navigator it's there, but its information
does not seem to always be 100% accurate.

Re: [nsp] NTP server in 800 Series routers [ In reply to ]
On Tue, Sep 24, 2002 at 09:32:01AM +0700, Victor Sudakov wrote:
| What IOS feature set do I need to have an NTP server (not just SNTP
| client) in a 800 Series router?

Judging from the release notes through IOS 12.2, the 800 series does
not support full NTP in any feature set.

| If it is not available at all, what technology could I use to
| broadcast NTP packets to a remote network behind a c805?

You are wanting to push time updates to clients instead of having the
clients poll a server? If your network topology will permit it, you
might be able to have your NTP server use multicast for updates. You
will need a "plus" image to get multicast support on the 805, and then
you only get relaying, but that should be enough for this application.

Release notes for the various IOS versions for the 805 are at:

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/access/acs_fix/805/805rlnts/index.htm

-James
Re: [nsp] NTP server in 800 Series routers [ In reply to ]
James Sneeringer wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 24, 2002 at 09:32:01AM +0700, Victor Sudakov wrote:
> | What IOS feature set do I need to have an NTP server (not just SNTP
> | client) in a 800 Series router?
>
> Judging from the release notes through IOS 12.2, the 800 series does
> not support full NTP in any feature set.

Should I believe you or Harold? :)

> | If it is not available at all, what technology could I use to
> | broadcast NTP packets to a remote network behind a c805?
>
> You are wanting to push time updates to clients instead of having the
> clients poll a server? If your network topology will permit it, you
> might be able to have your NTP server use multicast for updates. You
> will need a "plus" image to get multicast support on the 805, and then

Sounds too complicated. What if I just enable "ip directed-broadcast"
on the spoke router and make the hub router send NTP broadcasts to the
remote net's broadcast address?

Re: [nsp] NTP server in 800 Series routers [ In reply to ]
Victor,

James is right. The release notes state that only SNTP is available. Sorry
about that.

Re: [nsp] NTP server in 800 Series routers [ In reply to ]
On Tue, Sep 24, 2002 at 01:45:26PM +0700, Victor Sudakov wrote:
| James Sneeringer wrote:
| > Judging from the release notes through IOS 12.2, the 800 series does
| > not support full NTP in any feature set.
|
| Should I believe you or Harold? :)

In Harold's defense, Feature Navigator specifically lists only the 805 and
806 with NTP support. You mentioned you had an 805, but the command output
you showed us was from an 828. Have you tested it on an 805?

| Sounds too complicated. What if I just enable "ip directed-broadcast"
| on the spoke router and make the hub router send NTP broadcasts to the
| remote net's broadcast address?

I suppose that would work. Just be sure to prevent unauthorized hosts
from also sending directed broadcasts, otherwise you could end us being
used as a smurf amplifier.

-James
Re: [nsp] NTP server in 800 Series routers [ In reply to ]
James Sneeringer wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 24, 2002 at 01:45:26PM +0700, Victor Sudakov wrote:
> | James Sneeringer wrote:
> | > Judging from the release notes through IOS 12.2, the 800 series does
> | > not support full NTP in any feature set.
> |
> | Should I believe you or Harold? :)
>
> In Harold's defense, Feature Navigator specifically lists only the 805 and
> 806 with NTP support. You mentioned you had an 805, but the command output
> you showed us was from an 828. Have you tested it on an 805?

No, I have not. I have none at the moment, therefore I was asking
here. We are planning to buy several 805 to connect remote workshops
over V.35.

> | Sounds too complicated. What if I just enable "ip directed-broadcast"
> | on the spoke router and make the hub router send NTP broadcasts to the
> | remote net's broadcast address?
>
> I suppose that would work. Just be sure to prevent unauthorized hosts
> from also sending directed broadcasts, otherwise you could end us being
> used as a smurf amplifier.

I believe an ACL applied to the "ip directed-broadcast" statement
should suffice.

Thanks a lot for responding.

--
Victor Sudakov, VAS4-RIPE, VAS47-RIPN
Re: [nsp] NTP server in 800 Series routers [ In reply to ]
Victor Sudakov wrote:
> James Sneeringer wrote:

>>| Should I believe you or Harold? :)
>>
>>In Harold's defense, Feature Navigator specifically lists only the 805 and
>>806 with NTP support. You mentioned you had an 805, but the command output
>>you showed us was from an 828. Have you tested it on an 805?
>

> No, I have not. I have none at the moment, therefore I was asking
> here. We are planning to buy several 805 to connect remote workshops
> over V.35.

Just tested it for you - 805 is good for NTP:

IOS (tm) C805 Software (C805-Y6-MW), Version 12.2(12.6), MAINTENANCE INTERIM
SOFTWARE
Cisco C805 (MPC850) processor (revision 0) with 44564K bytes of virtual memory.

Bean(config)#ntp ?
access-group Control NTP access
authenticate Authenticate time sources
authentication-key Authentication key for trusted time sources
broadcastdelay Estimated round-trip delay
clock-period Length of hardware clock tick
master Act as NTP master clock
max-associations Set maximum number of associations
peer Configure NTP peer
server Configure NTP server
source Configure interface for source address
trusted-key Key numbers for trusted time sources

HTH,

Rich

--

# _.|._.|._ | Richard Gallagher | Direct: +32 2 704 5421 #