Q. Is anyone deploying TCP Authentication Option (TCP-AO) on their BGP peering Sessions?

I’m not touching routers right now. I’m wondering if anyone has deployed, your experiences, and thoughts?

This is suppose to be the “replacement” for BGP MD5, ‘but’ I’m hearing …..

1. The Vendors are not supporting yet. Which means a lot of older systems would not be able to support a BGP session with TCP-AO.
2. People have to tried is operationally.

Sharing you thoughts would be helpful …...

Thanks,

Barry
Re: Q. Is anyone deploying TCP Authentication Option (TCP-AO) on their BGP peering Sessions? [ In reply to ]
Hi,

On Wed, Sep 27, 2023 at 08:48:44AM +0800, Barry Greene via cisco-nsp wrote:
> Q. Is anyone deploying TCP Authentication Option (TCP-AO) on their BGP peering Sessions?

Not me. Not sure if my vendors do support it (IOS XR and Arista EOS),
but I do not see significant benefit.

TBH, most of our (non-multihop) eBGP sessions do not even deploy MD5, as
the whole password management thing adds another source of operational
friction.

gert

Gert Doering - Munich, Germany gert@greenie.muc.de