Mailing List Archive

PW-Eth routing weirdness
Hello all ...

I have a strange routing issue involving a PW-Ether interface on an
ASR9001 which I cannot seem to get my head around.

Feel like I'm missing something really stupid, but, here goes:

Had an EoMPLS tunnel between a content-provider and some gear that they
wished to manage on our network remotely. Used an l2vpn xconnect and
worked fine for eons. Something like this:

l2vpn
xconnect group THING
p2p THING
interface Bundle-Ether1.1234
neighbor ipv4 A.B.C.D pw-id 1234

No issues, fine. Works great.

Then, CDN decided that the IP-space they were using to manage said
devices was too small, so they requested that we route something bigger
for them.

So I moved the L3 anchor-point upstream and added a routable interface
for them.

l2vpn
xconnect group THING
p2p THING
interface PW-Ether1234
neighbor ipv4 A.B.C.D pw-id 1234

... plus ...

interface Bundle-Ether1.1000
description The_slash_24_you_requested
vrf MY_SUPER_FUN_VRF
ipv4 address 10.0.0.1 255.255.255.0
encapsulation dot1q 1000
!

interface PW-Ether1234
description Your_original_slash_29_that_you_outgrew
vrf MY_SUPER_FUN_VRF
ipv4 address 10.10.10.1 255.255.255.248
attach generic-interface-list GIL1
!

xconnect comes up; I can ping around locally.

So here's where things get weird.

From this ASR, I can hit and ping all things in 10.10.10.0/29, and I
can hit and ping all things in 10.10.10.0/29 when sourcing from 10.0.0.1.

But anything else in 10.0.0.0/24 can't hit anything in 10.10.10.0/29
(except for .1)

I've tested this from both directions: setting up an SVI at the A-LOC in
the 10.10.10.0/29 subnet and trying to hit anything in 10.0.0.0/24
(other than .1) -- no go.

Setting up an SVI at the Z-LOC in 10.0.0.0/24 and trying to ping
anything (other than .1) in 10.10.10.0/29 -- no joy.

I see ARP entries on both interfaces -- all looks fine. I just can't
seem to route between them.

Is there something funky or special about PW-Ether interfaces that I'm
missing? Sorry if this is a noob question, but I am perplexed. Turning
the Google crank did not help.

ASR is running 5.3.4-sp8.

Thank you in advance!

- bryan