Mailing List Archive

1 2 3 4  View All
Re: LDPv6 Census Check [ In reply to ]
On 11/Jun/20 11:58, Nick Hilliard wrote:

> Nearly impossible, apparently.
>
> It would require a change of mindset.

I'll leave that to the Coronavirus - it will open eyes.

Mark.
Re: LDPv6 Census Check [ In reply to ]
On 11/Jun/20 11:57, Robert Raszuk wrote:

> Nope that was not the main reason.
>
> Main reason was the belief that labels MUST be locally significant -
> and not domain wide unique. Just look at Juniper's SRm6 or now SRH ...
> they keep this notion of locally significant SIDs. It is deep in their
> DNA ... still.
>
> We argued about it a lot in cisco back in TDP days - and we lost.

I get this for VLAN's, being only 4,096 per broadcast domain and all.

But are we struggling with scaling label space?

Just my 1+1, since I may be over-simplifying the issue.

> - - -
>
> Now to your runt that MPLS is great because of exact match perhaps you
> missed it but number of solutions on the table (including RbR[**] I
> recently proposed) use exact match 4B locator based lookup in the v6
> packets to get from segment end to segment end.
>
> On the other hand your comments about greatness of MPLS ... simplified
> data plane and depending on the hardware difference in jitter (in sub
> ms ranges - if that even matters) comes up with a lot of control plane
> complexity when you want to build a network across all continents, yet
> keep it scoped from IGP to areas or levels. No summarization in MPLS
> in FECs is something we should not sweep under the carpet.

I found multi-level IS-IS to be useless in an MPLS network because you
still need to leak routes between L2 and L1 in order to form MPLS FEC's.
So you simplify the network by having a single L2 (or just Area 0 in
OSPF), because today's control planes can handle it. And yes, some are
brave enough to run RFC 3107 if it becomes a problem, but if you can
afford to string a network together across all continents, I doubt an
x86-based control plane with 64GB of RAM is topping the list of your
problems.

Mark.
Re: LDPv6 Census Check [ In reply to ]
On Thu, 11 Jun 2020 at 12:57, Robert Raszuk <robert@raszuk.net> wrote:

> Nope that was not the main reason.
>
> Main reason was the belief that labels MUST be locally significant - and not domain wide unique. Just look at Juniper's SRm6 or now SRH ... they keep this notion of locally significant SIDs. It is deep in their DNA ... still.

Seems weird, because neither LDP or SR implies globally significant
labels, implementation choice. What SR does imply is a continuous
block of labels of equal size in domain.

> Now to your runt that MPLS is great because of exact match perhaps you missed it but number of solutions on the table (including RbR[**] I recently proposed) use exact match 4B locator based lookup in the v6 packets to get from segment end to segment end.

Which is making a simple thing a complex thing.

> On the other hand your comments about greatness of MPLS ... simplified data plane and depending on the hardware difference in jitter (in sub ms ranges - if that even matters) comes up with a lot of control plane complexity when you want to build a network across all continents, yet keep it scoped from IGP to areas or levels. No summarization in MPLS in FECs is something we should not sweep under the carpet.

MPLS complexity is trivial in control-plane and forwarding-plane
compared to IPV6 or SRv6 or RbR[**]. I'm not saying we can't do better
than MPLS, but the proposal here is blatantly worse.

--
++ytti
Re: LDPv6 Census Check [ In reply to ]
/* removing nanog list as I am not subscribed there and it bounces back */

> I found multi-level IS-IS to be useless in an MPLS network because you
still need to leak routes between L2 and L1 in order to form
> MPLS FEC's. So you simplify the network by having a single L2 (or just
Area 0 in OSPF), because today's control planes can handle it.

Spot on ! OSPF is not any better.

And yes you can build a global flat IGP. But this is not a design I would
endorse in most networks.

Reason is that most networks do not have latest connectivity restoration
techniques and still wait for typical "IGP convergence" So if you flood
globally you need to adjust your IGP & SPF timers with the notion of global
flooding.

If you however scope your flooding domains to be relatively small (say per
1-few regions in a continent) you can easily and safely make those timers
much more aggressive hence significantly reducing connectivity restoration
times upon failures.

Many thx,
R.

Re: LDPv6 Census Check [ In reply to ]
> Seems weird, because neither LDP or SR implies globally significant
> labels, implementation choice. What SR does imply is a continuous
> block of labels of equal size in domain.

LDP or MPLS LSPs require hop by hop label swapping (directly connected or
over say IP tunnels). So labels in LDP are always locally significant.

SR-MPLS implies globally (domain wide) label significance. Index in the IGP
extensions is there just to relax requirement to use the same block on all
nodes - so the block does not need to be continuous in an SR domain. It is
recommended by Cisco but not required by standard.

Thx
R.
Re: LDPv6 Census Check [ In reply to ]
On 11/Jun/20 12:28, Robert Raszuk wrote:

> Spot on ! OSPF is not any better.
>
> And yes you can build a global flat IGP. But this is not a design I
> would endorse in most networks.
>
> Reason is that most networks do not have latest connectivity
> restoration techniques and still wait for typical "IGP convergence" So
> if you flood globally you need to adjust your IGP & SPF timers with
> the notion of global flooding.
>
> If you however scope your flooding domains to be relatively small (say
> per 1-few regions in a continent) you can easily and safely make those
> timers much more aggressive hence significantly reducing connectivity
> restoration times upon failures.

Well, we operate a single IS-IS L2 domain across 3 continents.

We use what-I'd-call aggressive IS-IS detection and convergence timers,
in addition to BFD and LFA/IP-FRR.

We do very okay.

Mark.
Re: LDPv6 Census Check [ In reply to ]
> Well, we operate a single IS-IS L2 domain across 3 continents.
>
> We use what-I'd-call aggressive IS-IS detection and convergence timers,
> in addition to BFD and LFA/IP-FRR.
>
> We do very okay.

No doubt.

However one network is not equal the other. Especially SP/ISP network
requirements and any to any traffic patterns there are very different from
typical hub and spoke connectivity in the content or service serving
enterprise.

So if I am to put 1000 routers in the flat network, reduce OSPF timers and
inject all 1000 BGP next hops with label to all 999 PEs while I only need
999 PEs to ever reach 10 next hops I would keep to argue flat IGP is not
the right choice.

Moreover as one of the best industry IGP developer and expert I highly
respect stated very recently the end to end flooding time should stay below
200 ms. That is not your ICMP RTT ... that is time to receive the LSA/LSP
to local RE, install in LSDB and send it back. That determines the flooding
radius you should try not to exceed. And the time packet takes to even get
from LC to RE is very platform dependent as I am sure most of you know very
well :)

Cheers,
R.
Re: LDPv6 Census Check [ In reply to ]
We're deploying some new POPs with a mix of IOS-XR as borders, BNG and
PEs and IOS-XE for LNSs. LDPv6 would be awesome to have availabke on
IOS-XE alongside LDPv4. We're being pushed by Cisco to go one flavour
or another of SR as well by Cisco, but i'd much prefer to have LDPv4 &
LDPv6 right now.

We have some buying power with Cisco at the moment, so let me know how
I can help from the land 'down under'.

Drikus.
Re: LDPv6 Census Check [ In reply to ]
On 11/Jun/20 12:54, Robert Raszuk wrote:

> No doubt.
>
> However one network is not equal the other. Especially SP/ISP network
> requirements and any to any traffic patterns there are very different
> from typical hub and spoke connectivity in the content or service
> serving enterprise.

Totally agree, which is why I said if you are building a backbone across
all continents, the ability of your hardware is the least of your problems.

You'll probably spend more time dealing with backbone and license issues.

> So if I am to put 1000 routers in the flat network, reduce OSPF timers
> and inject all 1000 BGP next hops with label to all 999 PEs while I
> only need 999 PEs to ever reach 10 next hops I would keep to argue
> flat IGP is not the right choice.

While I don't use OSPF, that almost sounds like something you'd do at an
EBC with a vendor in the lab.

Real networks may operate slightly less over-zealously :-).

But who knows, only time will tell. The problem is each time we seem to
reach the peak of what control planes can do, they up the ante.

If I was having this discussion with you 10 years ago, I'd be in total
agreement.

> Moreover as one of the best industry IGP developer and expert I highly
> respect stated very recently the end to end flooding time should stay
> below 200 ms. That is not your ICMP RTT ... that is time to receive
> the LSA/LSP to local RE, install in LSDB and send it back. That
> determines the flooding radius you should try not to exceed. And the
> time packet takes to even get from LC to RE is very platform dependent
> as I am sure most of you know very well :)

I won't diss the IGP developers, they help us to eat. But after being in
the game this long, I've often found that caution and real life don't
always align.

Naturally, we will take the considerations, and see what feedback we get
from the actual network, and adjust accordingly.

Mark.
Re: LDPv6 Census Check [ In reply to ]
On 11/Jun/20 13:03, Drikus Brits wrote:
> We're deploying some new POPs with a mix of IOS-XR as borders, BNG and
> PEs and IOS-XE for LNSs. LDPv6 would be awesome to have availabke on
> IOS-XE alongside LDPv4. We're being pushed by Cisco to go one flavour
> or another of SR as well by Cisco, but i'd much prefer to have LDPv4 &
> LDPv6 right now.
>
> We have some buying power with Cisco at the moment, so let me know how
> I can help from the land 'down under'.

Thanks, Drikus.

If you can get your AM to get in touch with the ASR920 and ASR1000 BU's
to ask for LDPv6, that will help a great deal. Cisco are saying "no one"
is asking for LDPv6, forgetting that it's more about IPv6, than other
lower/higher-level services it can support, LDPv6 included.

As with you, they are trying to shove SRv6 down our throats, which can
only come on an NCS540 for the moment, which is odd since that runs IOS
XR, which supports LDPv6. So basically, swap out tons of boxes to get a
feature that can easily be coded for in existing hardware... makes you
wonder about the thought-process;

It's been a crazy two weeks with our Cisco AM's and the platform TME's
on heated calls about this that it's almost old testament biblical :-).
It's at the stage where it's going up the chain to the BU's who will
make the final call. So if they can get some noise from you as well, it
certainly won't hurt.

You don't need new hardware features on the ASR920 or ASR1000 to support
LDPv6. You might do for SRv6. Either way, both platforms would need both
features developed in code, and I think it's safe to assume which one
will be practically easier to build and roll-out to the entire MPLS
customer base, today.

Mark.

Re: LDPv6 Census Check [ In reply to ]
On Thu, 11 Jun 2020 at 13:33, Robert Raszuk <robert@raszuk.net> wrote:

> SR-MPLS implies globally (domain wide) label significance. Index in the IGP extensions is there just to relax requirement to use the same block on all nodes - so the block does not need to be continuous in an SR domain. It is recommended by Cisco but not required by standard.

As all need to agree on having label at a given offset for the
application, the range either needs to be continuous or have the same
holes which are not used by anyone. It is slightly more convenient to
an equal size continuous label.
This is not unlike VPLS.

--
++ytti