Is this the norm for the Cisco 10/25 switches as well? I don't have any to test with at the moment.

Thanks,
-Drew

Re: 10/25 interface behavior [ In reply to ]

> Is this the norm for the Cisco 10/25 switches as well? I don't have any to
> test with at the moment.
>
> Cisco 3850's have some 1/10 uplink module ports that are identified as
Gigabit or TenGigabit based on the configuration. However, both types of
interfaces always exist logically, they just don't get used until you
configure/use the physical port one way or the other. On the other hand, I
have played with a number of 1/10/25 and 40/100 interfaces on the Nexus
line and the name and internal references remain the same regardless of the
configured use.

_Nathan
Re: 10/25 interface behavior [ In reply to ]
On 28/01/2020 14:49, Nathan Lannine wrote:
> Gigabit or TenGigabit based on the configuration. However, both
> types of interfaces always exist logically, they just don't get used
> until you configure/use the physical port one way or the other.

Yes, this is the Catalyst/IOS method -- which I don't mind as such on
routers (such as the TwinX ports on the 4900M) but it would get quite
confusing on higher density switches, particularly if you have 1/10/25?

> On the other hand, I have played with a number of 1/10/25 and 40/100
> interfaces on the Nexus line and the name and internal references
> remain the same regardless of the configured use.

I'm much more in favour of the Nexus/NX-OS naming method - everything
starts with 'Ethernet x/y' and that's SO much nicer. :)

--
Tom
Re: 10/25 interface behavior [ In reply to ]
At least on the Catalyst 9000 series it looks like they switched to always using the highest bandwidth that would potentially be available on that interface... just checked on a 9200L and a 9500-16X: The interface name is always TenGigabitEthernet, even if you use 1Gbit SFPs in them.

Much better imho, different interface names with different transceivers is just such a pain..

Or the way nexus does it - E for everything, best of all.

This message originates from outside of your organisation.