Mailing List Archive

ASR9K XR 6.4.2 and SNMP monitoring
Hello everyone,

I am trying to find out if there is a way to monitor the CRIT, MAJ, MIN and
Fail alarms via SNMP. I read through a boatload of documentation on SNMP
monitoring for the ASR but was not able to find anything on these alarms. I
want to poll the system for status, bit trap send them.

Does anyone know if this is possible?
These are the alarms we are looking for,
#sh environment leds
Tue Dec 17 14:25:26.016 PST
R/S/I Modules LED Status
0/RSP0/*
host Critical-Alarm Off
host Major-Alarm Off
host Minor-Alarm Off
host ACO Off
host Fail Off
0/RSP1/*
host Critical-Alarm Off
host Major-Alarm Off
host Minor-Alarm Off
host ACO Off
host Fail Off

Best,

-Lee
Re: ASR9K XR 6.4.2 and SNMP monitoring [ In reply to ]
On 12/17/2019 2:30 PM, Lee Starnes wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> I am trying to find out if there is a way to monitor the CRIT, MAJ, MIN and
> Fail alarms via SNMP. I read through a boatload of documentation on SNMP
> monitoring for the ASR but was not able to find anything on these alarms. I
> want to poll the system for status, bit trap send them.
>
> Does anyone know if this is possible?
> These are the alarms we are looking for,
> #sh environment leds
> Tue Dec 17 14:25:26.016 PST
> R/S/I Modules LED Status
> 0/RSP0/*
> host Critical-Alarm Off
> host Major-Alarm Off
> host Minor-Alarm Off
> host ACO Off
> host Fail Off
> 0/RSP1/*
> host Critical-Alarm Off
> host Major-Alarm Off
> host Minor-Alarm Off
> host ACO Off
> host Fail Off

Have you looked at the Entity Alarm MIB?

ftp://ftp.cisco.com/pub/mibs/v2/CISCO-ENTITY-ALARM-MIB.my

Full list of ASR1K MIBs here
ftp://ftp.cisco.com/pub/mibs/supportlists/asr1000/asr1000-supportlist.html

--
=========
bep
Re: ASR9K XR 6.4.2 and SNMP monitoring [ In reply to ]
Hello Bruce,

I did check out both the alarm and environment MIBs and none of the OIDs in
them come back as valid. In fact, a walk of those enterprise OIDs results
in no such object on this agent.

Best,

-Lee

Re: ASR9K XR 6.4.2 and SNMP monitoring [ In reply to ]
Hi,

On Wed, Dec 18, 2019 at 09:27:46AM -0800, Lee Starnes wrote:
> I did check out both the alarm and environment MIBs and none of the OIDs in
> them come back as valid. In fact, a walk of those enterprise OIDs results
> in no such object on this agent.

ISTR that there is a magic "admin" config setting that makes "critical"
SNMP information visible, which is normally hidden. Chassis information
is part of that.

gert

Gert Doering - Munich, Germany gert@greenie.muc.de
Re: ASR9K XR 6.4.2 and SNMP monitoring [ In reply to ]
If you do work this out please share. I did search and was unsuccessful on
older software sometime ago.

Ivan

Re: ASR9K XR 6.4.2 and SNMP monitoring [ In reply to ]
Hi,

On Thu, Dec 19, 2019 at 10:25:45PM +1300, Ivan Walker wrote:
> If you do work this out please share. I did search and was unsuccessful on
> older software sometime ago.

There's this thing called "Google". Third hit on a search for
"IOS XR SNMP privilege" turns up this link:

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/routers/crs/software/crs_r4-1/system_management/command/reference/b_sysman_cr41crs/b_sysman_cr41crs_chapter_01110.pdf

which suggests the missing bit might be adding "SystemOwner" to the
"snmp-server community..." commnads.

As in

snmp-server community MySecret RO SystemOwner
^^^^^^^^

(we do not have this active anywhere right now, but it rings familiar)

Re: ASR9K XR 6.4.2 and SNMP monitoring [ In reply to ]
Sorry - I was unclear. I was referring to the OID(s) for the alarms in the
original post (no issues regarding the systemowner bit). :-)