Mailing List Archive

Nexus Lack of Functionality Parity
Is it common for there to be a lack of functionality parity across the Nexus line?

We had a loop issue over the weekend. Our Nexus 3064s talked about it non-stop. The 9396 at the core and the 3548 where the loop problem existed never reported any issues.

The 3064s were logging something similar to: %L2FM-2-L2FM_MAC_FLAP_DISABLE_LEARN_N3K: Loops detected in the network for mac 90e2.ba84.2295 among ports Eth1/18 and Eth1/52 vlan 777 - Disabling dynamic learning notifications for a period between 120 and 240 seconds on vlan 777

I turned on some mac-move logging which got me more information on the 3064s, but still nothing on the others.

N3K-C3064PQ-10GE

Cisco NX-OS 7.0(3)I6(2)

N3K-C3064PQ-10GE

Cisco NX-OS 7.0(3)I5(2)

N3K-C3064PQ-10GE

Cisco NX-OS 7.0(3)I4(7)

N9K-C9396PX

Cisco NX-OS 7.0(3)I2(3)

N3K-C3548P-10G

Cisco NX-OS 7.0(3)I7(3)

-----
Mike Hammett
Intelligent Computing Solutions

Midwest Internet Exchange

The Brothers WISP

Re: Nexus Lack of Functionality Parity [ In reply to ]
Hello Mike,

On Mon, 15 Jul 2019 at 16:17, Mike Hammett <cisco-nsp@ics-il.net> wrote:

> Is it common for there to be a lack of functionality parity across the Nexus line?

Yes, default logging on the Nexus is different on different series
switches and at least on the 7k/9k is also a giant trap (a Nexus 9k by
default *disables mac address learning for 120s in a vlan* if it
doesn't like the amount of mac moves, but DOES NOT LOG that it
happened).

For full mac logging on 7k/9k series:
logging level l2fm 5

Or less verbose, but still logging when mac address learning is
disabled (%L2FM-3-L2FM_MAC_FLAP_DISABLE_LEARN), setting l2fm log level
to 3 should suffice (theoretically):
logging level l2fm 3

As per:
https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/switches/nexus-7000-series-switches/200424-Nexus-L2FM-4-L2FM-MAC-MOVE-syslog-expla.html

IOS: mac address table notification mac-move
N3K: mac address table notification mac-move ; logging level fwm 6 ;
logging monitor 6
N4K: mac address table notification mac-move ; logging level fwm 6 ;
logging monitor 6
N5K/N6K: mac address table notification mac-move ; logging level fwm
6; logging monitor 6
N7K/N9K: logging level l2fm 5

Also see:
https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/ios-nx-os-software/nx-os-software/213906-nexus-9000-mac-move-troubleshooting-and.html

Who could have known that datacenter operators want to know when the
switch stops learning mac address on an entire vlan for 120 seconds...

cheers,
lukas