Mailing List Archive

Cisco NM-8AM and rlogin
Hi all

We are starting to use Cisco 3640 with two NM-8AM cards (async lines) for dial in. Regular PPP dial in works fine, but we need additional feature. We have a custom rlogin server which our customers use, when logging from hyperterm (console login). So our dial-in lines need to support two types of connection, one with PPP and another that forward a connection to a rlogin server. We use this on Livingston PortMaster with 'default host' option and on Lucent Max we use RADIUS to give rlogin host and port number. What is the best solution to use with Cisco and please supply some configuration details as we are new in using Cisco equipment as NASs.

Best regards Srdjan
Re: Cisco NM-8AM and rlogin [ In reply to ]
> Hi all

> We are starting to use Cisco 3640 with two NM-8AM cards (async
> lines) for dial in. Regular PPP dial in works fine, but we need
> additional feature. We have a custom rlogin server which our customers
> use, when logging from hyperterm (console login). So our dial-in lines
> need to support two types of connection, one with PPP and another that
> forward a connection to a rlogin server. We use this on Livingston
> PortMaster with 'default host' option and on Lucent Max we use RADIUS
> to give rlogin host and port number. What is the best solution to use
> with Cisco and please supply some configuration details as we are new
> in using Cisco equipment as NASs.

> Best regards Srdjan

Sure, Cisco routers support both PPP and rlogin. Here's an easy
approach:

interface group-async 1
async mode interactive

line <begin> <end>
autoselect ppp
autoselect during-login
autocommand rlogin HOSTNAME

When a PPP user dials in an transmits a PPP frame, autoselect will
start negotiating PPP. An rlogin user will see a Username: prompt
and will authenticate using username/password, at which point
the rlogin session will be established. Note: you will want to
have "rlogin trusted-localuser-source local" in effect if you want
the authenticated username to be passed to the rlogin server.

Aaron