Mailing List Archive

Asynchronous callback problems
Hi all,

I'm trying to configure callback from 3640 (E1) to WindowsXP PC (async line). There are several types of users callin to that NAS - Cisco routers using ISDN, async modem users who shouldnt be called back, and now there should be async modem users who should be called back. This is why I need per user AAA what is done using RADIUS. Below is RADIUS profile configuration.

NAS (3640) has numerous mica-midems installed. Dial-in without callback is working fine, as AAA is done using RADIUS server, so configuration for vaccess interfaces comes also from vtemplate + RADIUS part. š

Here is configuration from NAS:

interface Group-Async1

šdescription Dial-in modem pool

šip unnumbered Loopback2

šencapsulation ppp

šno ip route-cache cef

šno ip route-cache

šip tcp header-compression

šno ip mroute-cache

šdialer in-band

šdialer idle-timeout 9000

šdialer-group 1

šasync mode dedicated

špeer default ip address pool dial-up

šno fair-queue

šppp authentication chap modem

šno clns route-cache

šgroup-range 33 56

And here is profile from RADIUS for involved user:

Profile="callback"

ššššššššššš Framed-Protocol = PPP

ššššššššššš Service-Type = Framed-User

ššššššššššš cisco-avpair = "lcp:interface-config=ppp callback accept"

ššššššššššš cisco-avpair = "lcp:interface-config=ip unnumbered lo2"

ššššššššššš cisco-avpair = "lcp:interface-config=peer default ip address pool dial-up"

ššššššššššš cisco-avpair = "lcp:interface-config=encaps ppp"

ššššššššššš cisco-avpair = "lcp:interface-config=ppp multilink"

What I'm worried about is command "ppp callback accept". As far as I know - it should be configured on group-async interface, but if I do it - nobody is able to call-in in any manner (with callback or without). "debug aaa authentication" says that user isn't authorized for callback and AAA procedure exits at that moment (or maybe I'm not doin enough debugging, so Im missin something).

Any ideas how to proceed and what to troubleshoot? Maybe anyone has got working configuration for callback? Any ideas what to debug? I understand that there might be not enough information, if you need something else to give some comments - I'll do it :-)

Andris
Re: Asynchronous callback problems [ In reply to ]
Oliver Boehmer (oboehmer) <> wrote on Thursday, July 14, 2005 5:22 PM:

> I'm trying to configure callback from 3640 (E1) to WindowsXP PC
> (async line). There are several types of users callin to that NAS -
> Cisco routers using ISDN, async modem users who shouldnt be called
> back, and now there should be async modem users who should be called
> back. This is why I need per user AAA what is done using RADIUS.
> Below is RADIUS profile configuration.
>
> NAS (3640) has numerous mica-midems installed. Dial-in without
> callback is working fine, as AAA is done using RADIUS server, so
> configuration for vaccess interfaces comes also from vtemplate +
> RADIUS part.
>
> And here is profile from RADIUS for involved user:
>
> Profile="callback"
> Framed-Protocol = PPP
> Service-Type = Framed-User
> cisco-avpair = "lcp:interface-config=ppp callback accept"
> cisco-avpair = "lcp:interface-config=ip unnumbered lo2"
> cisco-avpair = "lcp:interface-config=peer default ip
address pool dial-up"
> cisco-avpair = "lcp:interface-config=encaps ppp"
> cisco-avpair = "lcp:interface-config=ppp multilink"

Applying "encaps ppp" and "ppp multilink" makes no sense here.. Those
commands belong on the interface.if you want to limit multilink channels
for users, use the AVPs multilink:min-links/multilink:max-links.

> What I'm worried about is command "ppp callback accept". As far as I
> know - it should be configured on group-async interface, but if I do
> it - nobody is able to call-in in any manner (with callback or
> without). "debug aaa authentication" says that user isn't authorized
> for callback and AAA procedure exits at that moment (or maybe I'm not
> doin enough debugging, so Im missin something).

ppp callback accept must be on the interface, check out
http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/480/pppcallback_rad.html for an
example.

It is strange that this causes issues for non-callback user. Can you
send the complete config as well as "debug radius", "debug aaa
authorization", "debug aaa per-user" and "debug ppp neg"

oli

P.S: Please send plain-text emails..