Mailing List Archive

Question for access-list
Hi!

I have a question regarding access-list on cisco router
with 123-12a. I don't know, if this is the right mailing list,
but perhaps someone knows this problem and could help me.

The main question is how a cisco router use the access-list ?
I wannt to debug packets, which are originated by the router
itselves. Here the reason for my problem.
I use netflow on the cisco router and have some problems.
In my syslog I can see, that some packet are lost and want to know
why, because the connection between the router and the data collector
is really good. I create an access-list and put that on that
interface, which goes to the collector. The access-list is installed
for the oubound traffic.

Why I can't see the traffic matches in the access-list, whether
the IP Packets are sent to the collectot, which I can see
via a sniffer.

Any ideas ?

Best regards,
Ahmad

--
Ahmad Cheikh-Moussa
NetUSE AG
RE: Question for access-list [ In reply to ]

> The main question is how a cisco router use the access-list ?
> I wannt to debug packets, which are originated by the router
> itselves. [...]
>
> Why I can't see the traffic matches in the access-list, whether
> the IP Packets are sent to the collectot, which I can see
> via a sniffer.

packets originated by the router are not subject to access-list checks
on the outgoing/egress interface. This is why you don't "see" them in
the access-list counter..

Netflow export packets are a special case anyway, those are sent without
any output feature treatment in order to send them most efficiently..

oli
Re: Question for access-list [ In reply to ]
Hi Oliver,

thanks for your quick reply.
Any ideas how to debug such problems ?
Is there another way to debug packets, which are originated
from the router ?

How can I have packet loss on a link, which have
a really big realibility and average load which is
betwen 20 and 30 %

regards,
Ahmad

RE: Question for access-list [ In reply to ]
So if you make a separate ACL X, not applied to the interface, for packets from your router's ip to Y destination, and run "debug ip pack X", you don't see them?

josh duffek network engineer
consultantjd16 at ridemetro.org

Re: Question for access-list [ In reply to ]
Hi Josh,

I tried this too, but unfortunately it didn't worked.

regards,
Ahmad

Re: Question for access-list [ In reply to ]
maybe disable route-cache?

RE: Question for access-list [ In reply to ]

> thanks for your quick reply.
> Any ideas how to debug such problems ?

Use "show ip flow export" to watch the local Netflow export counters, "debug ip flow export" traces the export process..

> Is there another way to debug packets, which are originated
> from the router ?

"debug ip packet <acl>", but this might not work for netflow export packets since they bypass most of the features (I mentioned this already)

> How can I have packet loss on a link, which have
> a really big realibility and average load which is
> betwen 20 and 30 %

There could be several reasons Netflow packets won't make it to the collector.. link capacity is only one of them. Unless you see any drops on the interface or any errors in "show ip flow export", it could be safely assumed that the problem lies elsewhere..

If you are dealing with too many flows, Netflow aggregation could be evaluated..

oli