Mailing List Archive

Virtaul-profile feature Set
Hi!

I have Cisco 3640 with 12.3(11)T3 IP Plus Feature
Set (c3640-is-mz.123-11.T3).

I want to configure virtual profiles. These profiles
shoul be used, when they are needed.
Normally the configuration should look like this :

virtual-profile if-needed
virtual-profile virtual-template 1
virtual-profile aaa

Since my update from 12.2 to 12.3(T) the line
"virtual-profile aaa" is away.

Any ideas, why this happen?
Is this command not supported with IP Plus ?
Is there a new way to configure this option ?

Regards,
Ahmad

--
Ahmad Cheikh-Moussa
NetUSE AG
RE: Virtaul-profile feature Set [ In reply to ]
Ahmad,

> I want to configure virtual profiles. These profiles
> shoul be used, when they are needed.
> Normally the configuration should look like this :
>
> virtual-profile if-needed
> virtual-profile virtual-template 1
> virtual-profile aaa
>
> Since my update from 12.2 to 12.3(T) the line
> "virtual-profile aaa" is away.
>
> Any ideas, why this happen?
> Is this command not supported with IP Plus ?
> Is there a new way to configure this option ?

This command is obsolete, you don't need it anymore. IOS automatically
uses a vaccess when it sees per-user attributes in the AAA response..

oli
Re: Virtaul-profile feature Set [ In reply to ]
Hi Oliver,

thanks for that quick reply.
I have a dialin user, which do not get an virtual
interface. The radius config is relatively easy:

user01 Auth-Type:= Local, User-Password == "****""
Service-Type = Framed-User,
Framed-Protocol = PPP,
cisco-avpair += "ip:addr-pool=POOL_NETYOU_RFC",
Framed-Routing = None

Any ideas, why this user get no virtual-interface ?
Wiht 12.2 there was no problems.

Thanks in advance,
Ahmad

RE: Virtaul-profile feature Set [ In reply to ]
> I have a dialin user, which do not get an virtual
> interface. The radius config is relatively easy:
>
> user01 Auth-Type:= Local, User-Password == "****""
> Service-Type = Framed-User,
> Framed-Protocol = PPP,
> cisco-avpair += "ip:addr-pool=POOL_NETYOU_RFC",
> Framed-Routing = None
>
> Any ideas, why this user get no virtual-interface ?
> Wiht 12.2 there was no problems.

Apart from the fact that the user is terminated on the physical line, is there a problem? Can't check right now, but we shouldn't need an vaccess for this specific user. Is this an ISDN or Modem/async user?
remove the "virtual-profile if-needed" and you'll get a vaccess for every call..

oli

Re: Virtaul-profile feature Set [ In reply to ]
Hi Oliver,

it is not really a problem. It's a matter of nat.
I have configured "ip nat inside" only on the dialer Interface
and on the virtual-interface. As the user gets no virtual-interface,
the router use the Pri Interface. The "ip nat inside" Feature is not
configured on the Pri interface and therefore the user wasn't natted.
As I configured on the Pysical interface "ip nat inside" the user was
properly natted. Normally I don't wanna configure any ip options on
an Physical Interface and therefore it is for me a problem.

Any ideas, how to solve that ?

RE: Virtaul-profile feature Set [ In reply to ]
Hi,

Virtual-profiles are created by default in 12.3, so 'virtual-profile aaa' is no longer needed. But be warned - there was a BUG in 12.3(10), I'm not sure is it fixed now. Bug was very simple - if there is only one Dialer interface in this dialer-pool, no virtual interfaces will be created. You have to create and add to your dialer-profile at least one bogus Dialer interface, only then you will get virtual-access interfaces created.

Hope this helps :)

Andris

RE: Virtaul-profile feature Set [ In reply to ]
Ahmad Cheikh Moussa <mailto:acm@netuse.de> wrote on Monday, March 07, 2005 4:19 PM:

> it is not really a problem. It's a matter of nat.
> I have configured "ip nat inside" only on the dialer Interface
> and on the virtual-interface. As the user gets no virtual-interface,
> the router use the Pri Interface. The "ip nat inside" Feature is not
> configured on the Pri interface and therefore the user wasn't natted.
> As I configured on the Pysical interface "ip nat inside" the user was
> properly natted. Normally I don't wanna configure any ip options on
> an Physical Interface and therefore it is for me a problem.
>
> Any ideas, how to solve that ?

"no virtual-profile if-needed" doesn't work?

oli

RE: Virtaul-profile feature Set [ In reply to ]
At 05:51 PM 3/7/2005 +0200, Andris Zarins wrote:

>Hi,
>Virtual-profiles are created by default in 12.3, so 'virtual-profile aaa'
>is no longer needed. But be warned - there was a BUG in 12.3(10), I'm not
>sure is it fixed now.

I think you are referring to CSCdu05390, fixed in 12.3(10) and later.

I don't think that this is likely the issue that Ahmad is seeing, since
this bug existed in 12.2, too.

mark

RE: Virtaul-profile feature Set [ In reply to ]
Yep, this really is the one I was thinking about:

Cisco Bug ID CSCdu05390, it is mandatory to configure a minimum of two dialer-pool interfaces. A router configured with a single dialer profile interface binds all incoming calls to that profile by default, and the virtual template is never utilized for any call.

If you say it's solved - OK, might be, 12.3(10) with bogus dialer works fine for me. But symptoms, Ahmad described, are somewhat the same as this BUG.

Andris

Re: Virtaul-profile feature Set [ In reply to ]
Hi Oliver,

Is there something I have to think of before I use
"no virtual-profile if-needed" ?

This command means that for every call will be made an
Virtual-Interface. When I made an show vtemplate, the output
show that I have a max of 9 Vtemplate. That means more than 8
simultaneous call is not possible, if I deactivate the if-needed
feature. Is that right ?

jersey02#sh vtemplate
Virtual access subinterface creation is globally enabled

Active Active Subint Pre-clone Pre-clone
Interface Subinterface Capable Available Limit
--------- ------------ ------- --------- ---------
Vt1 0 0 Yes -- --

Usage Summary
Interface Subinterface
--------- ------------
Current in use 1 0
Current free 8 1
Total 9 1

RE: Virtaul-profile feature Set [ In reply to ]
> Is there something I have to think of before I use
> "no virtual-profile if-needed" ?

Well, only if you really want to use a vaccess for every call.

> This command means that for every call will be made an
> Virtual-Interface. When I made an show vtemplate, the output
> show that I have a max of 9 Vtemplate.

It shows you have one vtemplate (Vt1), but 9 virtual-access interfaces.

> That means more than 8
> simultaneous call is not possible, if I deactivate the if-needed
> feature. Is that right ?

No, we dynamically clone new virtual-access interfaces when needed.

oli

P.S: Another option (besides configuring "no virtual-profile if-needed") is to force a vaccess by including a per-user Attribute in your Radius profile. This could be a no-op like Cisco-avpair += "lcp:interface-config=description dial user", but could also apply NAT on a per-user basis ("lcp:interface-config=ip nat inside"). Whenever IOS finds such an attribute, it will clone a vaccess (i.e. it considers "if-needed" as true).