FORTHnet S.A.
<achatz@forthnet.gr>
***************************************
RE: ppp max-bad-auth [ In reply to ]
> Where does it depend on?
> Is it something that depends on the operating system? The ppp
> implementation? RFC 1661?
> After doing some quick tests, i found out that Win98 supported it,
> but W2k & WinXP did not.

It depends on the OS and its implementation of RFC2433. I think it
requires ms-chap being negotiated with the access-server/lns when using
MS protocol stack, otherwise the client ignores it (not 100% sure).

oli
Re: ppp max-bad-auth [ In reply to ]
Oliver Boehmer (oboehmer) [oboehmer@cisco.com] wrote:
> > Where does it depend on?
> > Is it something that depends on the operating system? The ppp
> > implementation? RFC 1661?
> > After doing some quick tests, i found out that Win98 supported it,
> > but W2k & WinXP did not.
>
> It depends on the OS and its implementation of RFC2433. I think it
> requires ms-chap being negotiated with the access-server/lns when using
> MS protocol stack, otherwise the client ignores it (not 100% sure).

In Win98 and ealier, the Microsoft PPP client would re-prompt the user
for PAP (possibly CHAP as well) username/password if an authentication
failure was received. This "feature" was removed in Win2k and later.

Dennis

Re: ppp max-bad-auth [ In reply to ]
Dennis Peng wrote:

> Oliver Boehmer (oboehmer) [oboehmer@cisco.com] wrote:
>
>>>Where does it depend on?
>>>Is it something that depends on the operating system? The ppp
>>>implementation? RFC 1661?
>>>After doing some quick tests, i found out that Win98 supported it,
>>>but W2k & WinXP did not.
>>
>>It depends on the OS and its implementation of RFC2433. I think it
>>requires ms-chap being negotiated with the access-server/lns when using
>>MS protocol stack, otherwise the client ignores it (not 100% sure).

After enabling ms-chap on Win2K/WinXP machines (ms-chap was also configured on router's
side), it worked fine ;-)