Mailing List Archive

CISCO 5300/5400AS: restore individual b-channels to in-service?
Trying to administer CISCO 5300/5400 access servers, I have not been able to find a good
way to restore individual b-channels (or sets of them on a T1) to in-service state. (After
they have been placed in an out-of-service state for one reason or another).

There is/was a cli command that seems in the ballpark for this, but the documentation trail
on it seems to end with version 11.3 of IOS, and we are using later versions which reject
the documented command syntax:

as5300-3# isdn service dsl 2 b_channel 12 state 0
^
% Invalid input detected at '^' marker.

(based on CISCO 11.3 doc that says
/*
You can disable a specified channel or an entire PRI interface, thus taking it out of
service or put it into one of the other states that is passed in to the switch. To disable
a specific channel or PRI interface, complete one of the following tasks in interface
configuration mode:

Take an individual B channel out of service or set it to a different state: isdn service
dsl number b_channel number state state-value
*/

Does anyone know if this command has alternative syntax that still works (we're using
IOS 12.3 (16)) or another command that might work to get (individual) out-of-service
b-channels back in service?

The only way I know to restore oos b-channels to in-service is to issue
shutdown/no shutdown command for the entire controller, which dumps any active calls.

TIA for any help with this!
-- Rob Conklin AMSS NOC (502) 407-0033
Re: CISCO 5300/5400AS: restore individual b-channels to in-service? [ In reply to ]
Hi Rob,

Nice to see a message on this list other than spam!

I tested on a lab 5300 running 12.3(22), and the command is there -
note that it is in interface config mode (under the PRI's D channel),
not exec mode (see the transcript below.)

It looks like, if using NFAS, the "isdn service dsl" syntax is
deprecated, in preference to "isdn service nfas-int". See
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/12_3/dial/command/reference/dia_i2g.html#wp1183668

Cheers,

Aaron

----

esc-5300-2(config-if)#isdn service ?
b_channel Specify the B-channel or range of B-channels, 0 for the complete
interface.
dsl Specify the DSL value (DEPRECATED).

esc-5300-2(config-if)#isdn service dsl ?
<0-7> DSL value

esc-5300-2(config-if)#isdn service dsl ?
<0-7> DSL value

esc-5300-2(config-if)#isdn service dsl 0 ?
b_channel Specify the B-channel or range of B-channels, 0 for the complete
interface.

esc-5300-2(config-if)#isdn service dsl 0 b_chan ?
<0-24> B channel range or 0 for complete interface

esc-5300-2(config-if)#isdn service dsl 0 b_chan 4 ?
state Specify the desired state.

esc-5300-2(config-if)#isdn service dsl 0 b_chan 4 state ?
<0-2> Valid states are 0=Inservice 1=Maint 2=Outofservice

esc-5300-2(config-if)#isdn service dsl 0 b_chan 4 state 0 ?
hard Change the service state and clear the call.
immediate Send the service message right away (default)
soft Change the service state once the channel becomes idle.
<cr>

esc-5300-2(config-if)#isdn service dsl 0 b_chan 4 state 0 immed ?
<cr>

esc-5300-2(config-if)#isdn service dsl 0 b_chan 4 state 0 immed
%Warning: you are using a deprecated CLI feature ('dsl x').
This is not required when referring to the current
interface and will be ommitted when saving.