Hi,
As I have posted earlier on this list, we have a Cisco 7206 that is creaking, and although Oliver @ Cisco was very helpful , basically the packet size of the traffic we are running (mixture of VOIP including payload and VOIP signalling) is too small and the throughput to high meaning the router cannot cope.

We have even tried a G4 card in the unit and we get about another 10mb out of it before it dies, giving us about 30mb, with about 25% packet loss, anymore than that the router drops too many packets.

So I'm looking to replace it, does anyone have any suggestions? I know a couple of people mentioned Juniper kit, any recommendations?

A bit more info basically we have a bandwidth supplier on one side giving us 100mb and then a 3300 switch on the other connected to our servers and the router just routes the traffic to the bandwidth supplier, so we don't really need the cisco luxuries, just a reasonably priced, hard mean packets switching machine, good for 50mb+ throughput even with small packets.

Any help appreciated, I don't really just want to through more money at it and end up with another 10mb of throughput!

Thanks

Wayne
Re: Replacing the Cisco 7206VXR - Juniper [ In reply to ]
Wayne @ CTL wrote:
> A bit more info basically we have a bandwidth supplier on one side
> giving us 100mb and then a 3300 switch on the other connected to our
> servers and the router just routes the traffic to the bandwidth
> supplier, so we don't really need the cisco luxuries, just a reasonably
> priced, hard mean packets switching machine, good for 50mb+ throughput
> even with small packets.

You must have something seriously mis-configured. I assume you mean a
NPE-G1 or NPE-G2 (not a "G4"), but I have NPE-G2's pushing several
hundred Mb of traffic of various size, including a TON of VoIP packets
with QoS and I don't experience the problems you seem to be having.

--
Robert Blayzor
INOC

The opinions expressed herein are not necessarily those of my employer,
not necessarily mine, and probably not necessary.
Re: Replacing the Cisco 7206VXR - Juniper [ In reply to ]

> You must have something seriously mis-configured. I assume you mean a
> NPE-G1 or NPE-G2 (not a "G4"), but I have NPE-G2's pushing several
> hundred Mb of traffic of various size, including a TON of VoIP packets
> with QoS and I don't experience the problems you seem to be having.

Hi Robert,
Thanks for that, I agree and I know of another aggregator that is doing
90-100mb of mixed traffic no problem, with a G1. Your correct it was a G2
card that we borrowed, not a G4. The problem is that router is handling 100%
voip traffic, and not just RTP it is also getting hit for Border traffic as
well (Like SIP and H323 setups with no RTP) which is minuscule size packets
and thousands (millions) of them / hour / day.

I'm no expert on this, but I'm lead to believe the problem is because the
CPU is involved with switching the packets and I need a router where the
packets are kept on the backplane and switched directly. The cisco is way
over spec (feature wise) for this as well I suspect, we don't have
complicated interface's we have interoute on one side 100mb full duplex and
a 3com 3300 on the other 100mb full duplex, although the access list would
be nice, to stop DOS attacks etc, its not imperative (and unusable at the
moment as you can imagine) hence why I thought a Juniper could be the answer
as those things sit at the edge of networks switching all day long.

Wayne

Re: Replacing the Cisco 7206VXR - Juniper [ In reply to ]
Wayne @ CTL wrote:
> Thanks for that, I agree and I know of another aggregator that is doing
> 90-100mb of mixed traffic no problem, with a G1. Your correct it was a G2
> card that we borrowed, not a G4. The problem is that router is handling 100%
> voip traffic, and not just RTP it is also getting hit for Border traffic as
> well (Like SIP and H323 setups with no RTP) which is minuscule size packets
> and thousands (millions) of them / hour / day.

It still sounds off to me. The NPE-G2 is rated for 2Mpps @ 64byte
packets. Unless you're using the G2 as some kind of IP-to-IP gateway, I
don't see where the problem is... I have G2's all over, aggregating a
few thousand PPPoX users per box, and averaging about 300-400Mbps
through the boxes with zero issues. (of course, this is IMIX traffic)

> I'm no expert on this, but I'm lead to believe the problem is because the
> CPU is involved with switching the packets and I need a router where the
> packets are kept on the backplane and switched directly. The cisco is way
> over spec (feature wise) for this as well I suspect, we don't have
> complicated interface's we have interoute on one side 100mb full duplex and
> a 3com 3300 on the other 100mb full duplex, although the access list would
> be nice, to stop DOS attacks etc, its not imperative (and unusable at the
> moment as you can imagine) hence why I thought a Juniper could be the answer
> as those things sit at the edge of networks switching all day long.

Well, the G2 forwards in a software/hardware mix I believe, so long as
you don't do something strange in the config to make it start switching
in software only. (I could be wrong) Either way, it's still rated for
2Mpps.... So I have a hard time believing that any type of traffic mix
is making it choke sub 100Mb. Not unless it's drawing large DOS's from
somewhere. I mean we're only looking at around 400Kpps for a 100Mb FDX
through the router at 64bytes per packet.

The only other thing I could suggest maybe without overpaying for what
you want is to look at some of the Foundry gear. J's routers have
platinum Gig-E connectors and may be out of your budget! ;-)

--
Robert Blayzor
INOC

If you unplug it fast enough, anything is hot swappable!