Mailing List Archive

PPPoE and VLAN ranges
Hello!

I'm trying to terminate PPPoE Sessions on a Cisco 7200 series router
(Cisco IOS Software, 7200 Software (C7200-IS-M), Version 12.4(16),
RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1))

Everything works fine if I use an individual subinterface for each VLAN:

interface FastEthernet1/0
description DSLAM1 Uplink Port
no ip address
no ip redirects
no ip unreachables
no ip proxy-arp
load-interval 30
duplex full
!
interface FastEthernet1/0.16
encapsulation dot1Q 16
pppoe enable group global
!
.... deleted ....
interface FastEthernet1/0.879
encapsulation dot1Q 20
pppoe enable group global

When I switch to the IDBless version, with no subinterfaces:

interface FastEthernet1/0
description DSLAM1 Uplink Port
no ip address
no ip redirects
no ip unreachables
no ip proxy-arp
load-interval 30
duplex full
vlan-range dot1q 1 879 native
pppoe enable group global
exit-vlan-config
!
!

The sessions get stuck in the LCP stage.

I've tried it both with and without the "native" option on the
vlan-range statement.

The particular session I'm terminating is being tunnel switched back
out through L2TP to another LNS.

Any help would be appreciated. I hate the idea of creating 864
subinterfaces. Just doing a "sho run" brings the router to its knees
for a bit - and our RANCID poll every hour.. well...

---
Clayton Zekelman
Managed Network Systems Inc. (MNSi)
344-300 Tecumseh Rd. E.
Windsor, Ontario
N8X 5E8

tel. 519-985-8410
fax. 519-985-8409

Re: PPPoE and VLAN ranges [ In reply to ]
Clayton Zekelman wrote:
> Hello!
>
> I'm trying to terminate PPPoE Sessions on a Cisco 7200 series router
> (Cisco IOS Software, 7200 Software (C7200-IS-M), Version 12.4(16),
> RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1))
>
> Everything works fine if I use an individual subinterface for each VLAN:

This is a known bug. I can't remember the exact bug id, but I opened at
least one or two TAC cases on this issue. I remember them giving us
maintenance version of IOS which seemed to fix the problem, but when we
upgraded to a later version of SB it broke it again.

Try bug ID's CSCsd75854 and CSCse45182

--
Robert Blayzor
INOC

The opinions expressed herein are not necessarily those of my employer,
not necessarily mine, and probably not necessary.
Re: PPPoE and VLAN ranges [ In reply to ]
I just checked through some old discussions, and it seems this
feature has been broken for a few years.

In general, how are people setting up PPPoE on a 7200 using Ethernet
interfaces? Multiple sub-interfaces?

Our older series of DSLAMs were all ATM based, so PVC ranges worked there.

The new series have Ethernet uplinks. I have the option of doing per
port VLAN tagging, or setting them up to put everyone on the chassis
in a single VLAN or with no VLAN tagging at all. I'd prefer not to
do this (the DSLAM does MUX forwarding, so broadcast traffic from one
subscriber will not be propagated to others) because I want to be
able to identify the individulal port a session comes from.

At 11:50 AM 10/5/2007, Robert Blayzor wrote:
>Clayton Zekelman wrote:
> > Hello!
> >
> > I'm trying to terminate PPPoE Sessions on a Cisco 7200 series router
> > (Cisco IOS Software, 7200 Software (C7200-IS-M), Version 12.4(16),
> > RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1))
> >
> > Everything works fine if I use an individual subinterface for each VLAN:
>

>This is a known bug. I can't remember the exact bug id, but I opened at
>least one or two TAC cases on this issue. I remember them giving us
>maintenance version of IOS which seemed to fix the problem, but when we
>upgraded to a later version of SB it broke it again.
>
>Try bug ID's CSCsd75854 and CSCse45182
>
>--
>Robert Blayzor
>INOC
>rblayzor@inoc.net
>http://www.inoc.net/~rblayzor/
>
>The opinions expressed herein are not necessarily those of my employer,
>not necessarily mine, and probably not necessary.
>

>--
>10/4/2007 5:03 PM

---

Re: PPPoE and VLAN ranges [ In reply to ]
Clayton Zekelman wrote:
> In general, how are people setting up PPPoE on a 7200 using Ethernet
> interfaces? Multiple sub-interfaces?

Well, in SB it's claimed that you can do PPPoE even on inner tags
(PPPoEoQinQ), but if they can't get the outer tag problem solved in
ranges first, it's going to make for one hela big config which is going
to be a mess to manage. We're in the same boat. Fortunately we only
have a couple of hundred subif's created right now. If Cisco doesn't
fix the issue, it's going to make it incredibly hard to scale this kind
of stuff...

--
Robert Blayzor
INOC

My Other machine is your Linux Box
Re: PPPoE and VLAN ranges [ In reply to ]
And people wonder why Juniper's ERXs are so popular...

Cisco?... are you listening?

At 01:50 PM 10/5/2007, Robert Blayzor wrote:
>Clayton Zekelman wrote:
> > In general, how are people setting up PPPoE on a 7200 using Ethernet
> > interfaces? Multiple sub-interfaces?
>

>Well, in SB it's claimed that you can do PPPoE even on inner tags
>(PPPoEoQinQ), but if they can't get the outer tag problem solved in
>ranges first, it's going to make for one hela big config which is going
>to be a mess to manage. We're in the same boat. Fortunately we only
>have a couple of hundred subif's created right now. If Cisco doesn't
>fix the issue, it's going to make it incredibly hard to scale this kind
>of stuff...
>
>--
>Robert Blayzor
>INOC
>rblayzor@inoc.net
>http://www.inoc.net/~rblayzor/
>
>My Other machine is your Linux Box
>

>--
>10/4/2007 5:03 PM

---

Re: PPPoE and VLAN ranges [ In reply to ]
Clayton,

Robert is talking about supporting QinQ tagging. This is not what you
require here.

A quick look at your configuration looks like it should work.

Is it possible to see more debugs on the PPP failure? Is it also possible
that the PPPoE session all share the same MAC address?

Vince

And people wonder why Juniper's ERXs are so popular...

Cisco?... are you listening?

At 01:50 PM 10/5/2007, Robert Blayzor wrote:
>Clayton Zekelman wrote:
> > In general, how are people setting up PPPoE on a 7200 using Ethernet
> > interfaces? Multiple sub-interfaces?
>

>Well, in SB it's claimed that you can do PPPoE even on inner tags
>(PPPoEoQinQ), but if they can't get the outer tag problem solved in
>ranges first, it's going to make for one hela big config which is going
>to be a mess to manage. We're in the same boat. Fortunately we only
>have a couple of hundred subif's created right now. If Cisco doesn't
>fix the issue, it's going to make it incredibly hard to scale this kind
>of stuff...
>
>--
>Robert Blayzor
>INOC
>rblayzor@inoc.net
>http://www.inoc.net/~rblayzor/
>
>My Other machine is your Linux Box
>

>--
>10/4/2007 5:03 PM

---

Re: PPPoE and VLAN ranges [ In reply to ]
Clayton,

What exactly are you trying to setup with PPPoE Termination on the 7200?

I think you are attempting Epopee ?

I see there was some mention of Qing as well added to it?

Also would like to see your babe-group and virtual template comfit.

Vince

And people wonder why Juniper's ERXs are so popular...

Cisco?... are you listening?

At 01:50 PM 10/5/2007, Robert Blayzor wrote:
>Clayton Zekelman wrote:
> > In general, how are people setting up PPPoE on a 7200 using Ethernet
> > interfaces? Multiple sub-interfaces?
>

>Well, in SB it's claimed that you can do PPPoE even on inner tags
>(PPPoEoQinQ), but if they can't get the outer tag problem solved in
>ranges first, it's going to make for one hela big config which is going
>to be a mess to manage. We're in the same boat. Fortunately we only
>have a couple of hundred subif's created right now. If Cisco doesn't
>fix the issue, it's going to make it incredibly hard to scale this kind
>of stuff...
>
>--
>Robert Blayzor
>INOC
>rblayzor@inoc.net
>http://www.inoc.net/~rblayzor/
>
>My Other machine is your Linux Box
>

>--
>10/4/2007 5:03 PM

---

Re: PPPoE and VLAN ranges [ In reply to ]
We're coming from an Ethernet DSLAM, configured as per port tagging
on dot1q VLANS 16 to 879.

bba-group pppoe global
virtual-template 1
service profile PPPoE
ac name lns1-XXXXXXX
sessions per-vc limit 5
sessions per-mac limit 2
sessions auto cleanup

interface Virtual-Template1
mtu 1492
ip unnumbered Loopback0
ip load-sharing per-packet
no logging event link-status
load-interval 30
peer default ip address pool XXXXXX-1
ppp authentication pap ppp_local
ppp authorization ppp_local
ppp ipcp dns 216.8.137.100 216.8.137.101

At 02:53 PM 10/5/2007, Vince Mammoliti wrote:
>Clayton,
>
>What exactly are you trying to setup with PPPoE Termination on the 7200?
>
>I think you are attempting Epopee ?
>
>I see there was some mention of Qing as well added to it?
>
>Also would like to see your babe-group and virtual template comfit.
>
>Vince

---

Re: PPPoE and VLAN ranges [ In reply to ]
Vince Mammoliti wrote:
> Clayton,
>
> Robert is talking about supporting QinQ tagging. This is not what you
> require here.

No, see previous posts. I'm talking about exactly what he is
experiencing. I've even referenced the bug id's, which still appear to
be present in 12.2SB5.

The fact that if you use a subif with the VLAN and use PPPoE, it works,
but if you try to use PPPoE using the vlan-range as he has configured,
PPPoE breaks. In one of the two bud-id's I gave there are some
references to it. I also found my TAC case regarding this very issue.

I was given in interim IOS build which seemed to fix the problem, but
when I upgraded to the mainline code they said the "fix was in", it
broke it again.

--
Robert Blayzor
INOC

If you unplug it fast enough, anything is hot swappable!
Re: PPPoE and VLAN ranges [ In reply to ]
Upgrading to a newer version of IOS improved things a bit.

On Version 12.4(15)T1, the IDBless vlan ranges work, but then, I
went and set up a subinterface on the same physical interface, and
assigned it a dot1q vlan outside of the range listed on the main
interface, and we're now back to the same situation of not being able
to get beyond LCP on new sessions on the main interface.

I even deleted the subinterface, and sessions still won't establish.

Took a reload of the router to allow sessions to start establishing again...

At 03:13 PM 10/5/2007, Robert Blayzor wrote:
>Vince Mammoliti wrote:
> > Clayton,
> >
> > Robert is talking about supporting QinQ tagging. This is not what you
> > require here.
>

>No, see previous posts. I'm talking about exactly what he is
>experiencing. I've even referenced the bug id's, which still appear to
>be present in 12.2SB5.
>
>The fact that if you use a subif with the VLAN and use PPPoE, it works,
>but if you try to use PPPoE using the vlan-range as he has configured,
>PPPoE breaks. In one of the two bud-id's I gave there are some
>references to it. I also found my TAC case regarding this very issue.
>
>I was given in interim IOS build which seemed to fix the problem, but
>when I upgraded to the mainline code they said the "fix was in", it
>broke it again.
>
>--
>Robert Blayzor
>INOC
>rblayzor@inoc.net
>http://www.inoc.net/~rblayzor/
>
>If you unplug it fast enough, anything is hot swappable!
>

>--
>10/4/2007 5:03 PM

---

Re: PPPoE and VLAN ranges [ In reply to ]
Clayton Zekelman wrote:
> I even deleted the subinterface, and sessions still won't establish.
>
> Took a reload of the router to allow sessions to start establishing
> again...

Same thing we experienced. So it's still broken IMHO.

--
Robert Blayzor
INOC

Debugger: A tool that substitutes afterthought for forethought.