Mailing List Archive

ppp-max-payload - PPPOE Clients rfc4638
Hi Bba-Group!

I resently stumbled over the pretty new BRAS feature introduced on
the Cisco

PPP-Max-Payload

Does anyone know about CPE devices that do support the sending of
such PPP-Max-Payload tags?

The feature made it to 12.2.31-SB(2-3) release of the router software
images (Is it planned to extend the support to other releases?). The
basic functionality as far as I understand is that PPPOE clients may
send an additional TAG within their PPPoE PADI packets to allow the
BRAS to negotiate a MRU larger than 1500. As long as the connection
between the BRAS-DSLAM-CPE supports that larger frames. This should
allow the initiating CPE to send "large" (1500 IP MTU) IP packets
through the pppoe session (which normally has an overhead of 8 byte
thus reducing the ip mtu to 1492).

The configuration on the BRAS is pretty simple:

bba-group pppoe TEST
virtual-template 1
tag ppp-max-payload minimum 1400 maximum 1700

But who knows CPEs that support the "Dialer" side of this ppp-max-
payload tag (actually sending that tag - to allow the bras to
negotiate this feature)?

Regards

Christoph

--