Mailing List Archive

Multiple PPPoE Sessions per PVC
Hi!

Did someone of you ever try to setup multiple PPPoE sessions per single
PVC on CPEs like Cisco 877, 878? Is this supported (ie. Alcatel does
support that on their CPEs - as far as I understand the manual).

Multiple PPPoE sessions in multiple PVCs works fine but does not always
scale very well (when only network L2/L3 separation is needed but no
quality/bandwidth requirements).

The intention is to seperate different services that do not have special
bandwidth/quality requirements but shall never be mixed (ie. internet
access vs. some vpn). The seperation on the CPE-side is performed by
vrf-lite (by putting the dialer interfaces and local vlan interfaces
into seperate vrfs).

Sometimes we could make use of up to 3-4 sessions. Any ideas?

Regards

Christoph

--
SILVER SERVER \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\ \\\\\\ \\ \
Ing Christoph Loibl <cl@sil.at> Senior Network Engineer
Re: Multiple PPPoE Sessions per PVC [ In reply to ]
Christoph Loibl <> wrote on Thursday, March 29, 2007 9:22 PM:

> Hi!
>
> Did someone of you ever try to setup multiple PPPoE sessions per
> single PVC on CPEs like Cisco 877, 878? Is this supported (ie.
> Alcatel does support that on their CPEs - as far as I understand the
> manual).

Unfortunately, this is not possible, and I'm not aware of plans to
support this enhancement. You can only run a single PPPoE session per
PVC.

> The intention is to seperate different services that do not have
> special bandwidth/quality requirements but shall never be mixed (ie.
> internet access vs. some vpn). The seperation on the CPE-side is
> performed by vrf-lite (by putting the dialer interfaces and local
> vlan interfaces into seperate vrfs).

have you investigated the use of Client-initiated L2TP for this? Not
sure how many Virtual-PPP-sessions you can practically build, but this
could be a solution..

oli

Re: Multiple PPPoE Sessions per PVC [ In reply to ]
Hi Oliver!

On Mar 30, 2007, at 8:16 AM, Oliver Boehmer ((oboehmer)) wrote:

> Christoph Loibl <> wrote on Thursday, March 29, 2007 9:22 PM:
>
>> Hi!
>>
>> Did someone of you ever try to setup multiple PPPoE sessions per
>> single PVC on CPEs like Cisco 877, 878? Is this supported (ie.
>> Alcatel does support that on their CPEs - as far as I understand the
>> manual).
>
> Unfortunately, this is not possible, and I'm not aware of plans to
> support this enhancement. You can only run a single PPPoE session per
> PVC.

too bad.

> have you investigated the use of Client-initiated L2TP for this? Not
> sure how many Virtual-PPP-sessions you can practically build, but this
> could be a solution..

Good idea - I will look into this direction probably that solves our
problem in an elegant way.

Christoph

--
CL8-RIPE http://www.sil.at, http://pix.tix.at