Mailing List Archive

LNS with 7200 with NPE-G1
We are currently running a test setup using a 7200/G1
device as LNS. The telco operates as LAC Juniper ERX
devices.

Everything is working as expected but the CPU load
on the G1 is quite high. Having around 200 PPP sessions
on the LNS the CPU load is already at 11%. In other
words this would mean that around 2000 users would put
the box to 100% CPU usage which is very far away from
the advertised 16 000 broadband sessions for the G1.

Running IP-Plus 12.3(16).

Do I have a CPU killer in my config?

Christian

My config:
-----------
version 12.3
service timestamps debug datetime msec
service timestamps log datetime msec
service password-encryption
no service dhcp
!
hostname LNS
!
boot-start-marker
boot-end-marker
!
enable password xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
!
clock timezone GMT 1
clock summer-time MET recurring last Sun Mar 3:00 last Sun Oct 3:00
aaa new-model
!
!
aaa authentication login default enable
aaa authentication ppp default group radius
aaa authorization network default group radius
aaa accounting delay-start
aaa accounting update periodic 240
aaa accounting network default start-stop group radius
aaa session-id common
ip subnet-zero
no ip source-route
!
!
ip cef
no ip domain lookup
ip name-server xxxxxxxxxxxx
ip name-server xxxxxxxxxxxx
!
vpdn enable
vpdn ip udp ignore checksum
!
vpdn-group 1
accept-dialin
protocol l2tp
virtual-template 1
terminate-from hostname LAC
lcp renegotiation on-mismatch
l2tp tunnel password 7 xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
!
interface Loopback0
ip address xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
!
interface Loopback1
ip address xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
!
interface GigabitEthernet0/1
description Connection to Vlan 13
ip address xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
ip ospf message-digest-key 10 md5 7 xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
duplex full
speed 1000
media-type rj45
no negotiation auto
!
interface GigabitEthernet0/2
no ip address
shutdown
duplex auto
speed auto
media-type rj45
negotiation auto
!
interface GigabitEthernet0/3
no ip address
shutdown
duplex auto
speed auto
media-type rj45
negotiation auto
!
interface Virtual-Template1
ip unnumbered Loopback1
ip tcp adjust-mss 1420
ip mroute-cache
peer default ip address pool VODSL
ppp mtu adaptive
ppp authentication pap chap
!
router ospf 101
log-adjacency-changes
area 0 authentication message-digest
summary-address xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
summary-address xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
redistribute connected subnets
redistribute static subnets
passive-interface Virtual-Template1
network xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx area 0
network xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx area 0
!
ip local pool VODSL xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
ip local pool VODSL xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
ip classless
ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
ip route xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx Loopback0 10
ip route xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx Loopback0 10
ip route xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx Loopback0 10
no ip http server
!
!
access-list 1 permit xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
access-list 1 deny any
access-list 50 permit xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
access-list 50 deny any
no cdp run
!
snmp-server community xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx RW 1
!
radius-server attribute nas-port format d
radius-server host xxxxxxxxxx auth-port 1645 acct-port 1646 key 7 xxxxx

radius-server domain-stripping
radius-server unique-ident 3
radius-server vsa send accounting
!
!
gatekeeper
shutdown
!
line con 0
stopbits 1
line aux 0
stopbits 1
line vty 0 4
access-class 50 in
!
ntp clock-period 17180061
ntp server xxxxxxxxxxxx
ntp server xxxxxxxxxxxx
!
end
Re: LNS with 7200 with NPE-G1 [ In reply to ]
Your config is very basic, I don't see anything that would cause
process switching or something detrimental to the CPU. How much
traffic, in aggregate, are these 200 users pushing (bps and pps)? 16k
sessions is a control-plane limitation, but if you have broadband
traffic, you'll hit the data-plane limit much faster (16k is really
for narrowband). MPF can greatly help improve data-plane performance.

Dennis

Re[2]: LNS with 7200 with NPE-G1 [ In reply to ]
Current IP traffic is as follows:

I noticed that in and out traffic are nearly the same
which is not what I expected for ADSL connections where
the max upstream is 192 kbit/s and max downstream is 3 Mbit/s.

Regarding the CPU the "L2X Data Daemon" uses most. No other
process shown any significant CPU usage.

sh proc cpu:
------------
CPU utilization for five seconds: 13%/9%; one minute: 12%; five minutes: 12%
.
.
14 4.55% 3.93% 3.96% 0 L2X Data Daemon

Regarding the L2TP setup I terminated the 4 LAC devices
from the telco in "vpdn-group 1". Would creating a
separate vpdn-group for each LAC be of any benefit?

Currently I have:

7206VXR#sh vpdn tunnel

L2TP Tunnel Information Total tunnels 4 sessions 207
LocID RemID Remote Name State Remote Address Port Sessions VPDN Group
2999 12 LAC est xxxxxxxxxxxxx 1701 21 1
55524 5516 LAC est xxxxxxxxxxxxx 1701 78 1
29502 14 LAC est xxxxxxxxxxxxx 1701 53 1
18896 82 LAC est xxxxxxxxxxxxx 1701 55 1
%No active L2F tunnels
%No active PPTP tunnels

Is there an IOS image supporting MPF that can be recommended in
a production environment for an LNS?

Christian

RE: Re[2]: LNS with 7200 with NPE-G1 [ In reply to ]
I would also check for fragmentation of the IP packets.

show ip traffic

V.

Re: LNS with 7200 with NPE-G1 [ In reply to ]
> Current IP traffic is as follows:
>
> 5 minute input rate 29094000 bits/sec, 6718 packets/sec
> 5 minute output rate 29254000 bits/sec, 6702 packets/sec
>
> I noticed that in and out traffic are nearly the same
> which is not what I expected for ADSL connections where
> the max upstream is 192 kbit/s and max downstream is 3 Mbit/s.

Unless you have more configuration on the box than specified in previous
messages, all traffic is going in *and* out through physical interface
GigabitEthernet0/1 - your router is a "router on a stick". And in such
cases, having input and output nearly the same is expected.

Re[2]: LNS with 7200 with NPE-G1 [ In reply to ]
>> Current IP traffic is as follows:
>>
>> 5 minute input rate 29094000 bits/sec, 6718 packets/sec
>> 5 minute output rate 29254000 bits/sec, 6702 packets/sec
>>
>> I noticed that in and out traffic are nearly the same
>> which is not what I expected for ADSL connections where
>> the max upstream is 192 kbit/s and max downstream is 3 Mbit/s.

snn> Unless you have more configuration on the box than specified in previous
snn> messages, all traffic is going in *and* out through physical interface
snn> GigabitEthernet0/1 - your router is a "router on a stick". And in such
snn> cases, having input and output nearly the same is expected.

snn> Steinar Haug, Nethelp consulting, sthaug@nethelp.no

Yes, the router only serves as LNS and only gig0/1 is connected.
Re: LNS with 7200 with NPE-G1 [ In reply to ]
We are also using 7200's as LNS and they are maxing out cpu (95%) at around 3000 L2TP sessions when
tunnels are coming through atm interface and 3500 L2TP sessions when coming through GE interface.

We are now trying 10k, but we already have 25% cpu at 3000 sessions, so 12000 sessions (1/5 of
what's advertised) will probably max its capacity. Also 10k can't do (because of PXF) a lot of
things 7200 does, which is another drawback.

We gonna have some look at Juniper's ERX series during the next months and see how it compares too.

Re: Re[2]: LNS with 7200 with NPE-G1 [ In reply to ]
L2X Data Daemon would indicate that stuff is getting process
switched. Separate vpdn-groups won't help in this case. What do your
RADIUS profiles look like? RADIUS can pass down configurations which
can cause problems (like Framed-Compression). Can you do a "show
derived-config interface Virtual-Access X"?

RE: LNS with 7200 with NPE-G1 [ In reply to ]
As Dennis mentions, MPF might be a good fit here for this config,
especially since the interfaces appear to be only ethernet.
More can be found here:
http://cisco.com/en/US/partner/products/sw/iosswrel/ps5413/products_feat
ure_guide09186a00804c2d31.html

Re: LNS with 7200 with NPE-G1 [ In reply to ]
Bonjour Christian,

It's not sure that there is a linear relation between number of sessions and
cpu load. I mean increasing the number of ppp session to 2000 should
not load cpu to 100% but to around 40%

We experienced about 33% cpu for 1600 users when we were in similar
configuration. What did most load our cpu was routing and queue when
the link was congested or when there is a lot of "signalling" traffic
(connexion/disconnexion of users)

Le mercredi 19 octobre 2005 à 05:20:23, vous écriviez :

Cordialement,
xlr8 mailto:cisco-bba@mls.nc
RE: LNS with 7200 with NPE-G1 [ In reply to ]
Tassos, what traffic levels are you doing?

We have a number of 7200 G1s running SSG software in LNS mode with 3000 sessions and 105Mbits of traffic. The cpu peaks at 88%. Sometimes we have done 95%+ CPU with 4400 sessions and 150Mbits of traffic.

However majority of our CPU load is due to the regular SNMP Polling of the device, interfaces and VPDN mibs.

Ash

Re[4]: LNS with 7200 with NPE-G1 [ In reply to ]
> L2X Data Daemon would indicate that stuff is getting process
> switched. Separate vpdn-groups won't help in this case. What do your
> RADIUS profiles look like? RADIUS can pass down configurations which
> can cause problems (like Framed-Compression). Can you do a "show
> derived-config interface Virtual-Access X"?

We set the following attributes in radius for DSL accounts:

Framed-Protocol = PPP
User-Service-Type = Framed-User
Framed-Routing = none
Port-Limit = 2
Framed-Netmask = 255.255.255.255

7206VXRL#sh derived-config interface virtual-access 2.3
Building configuration...

Derived configuration : 197 bytes
!
interface Virtual-Access2.3
ip unnumbered Loopback1
ip mtu 1460

RE: LNS with 7200 with NPE-G1 [ In reply to ]
Hi,

On Tue, 2005-10-18 at 14:43 -0700, Richard Licon (rlicon) wrote:
> As Dennis mentions, MPF might be a good fit here for this config,
> especially since the interfaces appear to be only ethernet.
> More can be found here:
> http://cisco.com/en/US/partner/products/sw/iosswrel/ps5413/products_feat
> ure_guide09186a00804c2d31.html

A pretty informational document. However, a few questions:

1. A ROMmon upgrade. How big a deal? Can one download the image
somewhere on CCO? I seem to be unable to find it.

2. Price of the software. Last time I checked it was around USD
$10,000?

3. Stability. Quoting the document, "The MPF image should not be used
as a general purpose router image.". What does this mean? Is it not
reliable enough?

4. Restrictions. According to the document, MPF does not support
MPLS. Does this mean if I'm using MPLS, I will get no acceleration,
or just "less acceleration" (will other features still be accelerated?).
What I'm looking for is really an acceleration on the data plane for
customer's traffic.

Is Cisco recommending the use of MPF in a live service provider network
right now?

Thanks,
Kristofer

--
Kristófer Sigurðsson Tel: +354 414 1600
Netrekstur/Network Operations IP Fjarskipti ehf.
RE: LNS with 7200 with NPE-G1 [ In reply to ]
Hi Kristofer,

Please see inline @ #RL ...

On Tue, 2005-10-18 at 14:43 -0700, Richard Licon (rlicon) wrote:
> As Dennis mentions, MPF might be a good fit here for this config,
> especially since the interfaces appear to be only ethernet.
> More can be found here:
> http://cisco.com/en/US/partner/products/sw/iosswrel/ps5413/products_fe
> at
> ure_guide09186a00804c2d31.html

A pretty informational document. However, a few questions:

1. A ROMmon upgrade. How big a deal? Can one download the image somewhere on CCO? I seem to be unable to find it.

#RL - A big deal if not done properly, but it's pretty straight forward procedure. One needs to purchase the MPF license.

2. Price of the software. Last time I checked it was around USD $10,000?
#RL - Yes.

3. Stability. Quoting the document, "The MPF image should not be used as a general purpose router image.". What does this mean? Is it not reliable enough?

#RL - MPF should be used for "specific" configurations or applications. If a customer sees a fit for the accelerated features, then MPF makes sense. Customers can take advantage of the MPF software for high speed internet access with MPF providing the accelerated performance via CPU1 i.e, L2TP traffic with ACLs/uRPF/Policing configured and add value-added services to be switched by CPU0; i.e, per-user Firewall with CBAC.
"General purpose router image" meaning MPF software is not a swiss army knife type image.

4. Restrictions. According to the document, MPF does not support MPLS. Does this mean if I'm using MPLS, I will get no acceleration, or just "less acceleration" (will other features still be accelerated?).

#RL - Today, MPLS is not supported in the MPF images (-is- and -i12o3s), however VRF-lite is accelerated.

What I'm looking for is really an acceleration on the data plane for customer's traffic.

Is Cisco recommending the use of MPF in a live service provider network right now?

#RL - We have customers using MPF in their production network.

Thanks,
Richard

Thanks,
Kristofer

Re: LNS with 7200 with NPE-G1 [ In reply to ]
~3000 sessions, 70% cpu.

GigabitEthernet0/1 is up, line protocol is up
30 second input rate 121057000 bits/sec, 21379 packets/sec
30 second output rate 52865000 bits/sec, 19767 packets/sec
GigabitEthernet0/2 is up, line protocol is up
30 second input rate 54558000 bits/sec, 19618 packets/sec
30 second output rate 124335000 bits/sec, 21226 packets/sec

Re: LNS with 7200 with NPE-G1 [ In reply to ]
On Tue, 18 Oct 2005, sthaug@nethelp.no wrote:

> Unless you have more configuration on the box than specified in previous
> messages, all traffic is going in *and* out through physical interface
> GigabitEthernet0/1 - your router is a "router on a stick". And in such
> cases, having input and output nearly the same is expected.

Maybe "ip route-cache same-interface" would help cut CPU, then?
RE: LNS with 7200 with NPE-G1 [ In reply to ]
Mike Andrews <> wrote on Wednesday, October 19, 2005 8:25 PM:

> On Tue, 18 Oct 2005, sthaug@nethelp.no wrote:
>
>> Unless you have more configuration on the box than specified in
>> physical interface GigabitEthernet0/1 - your router is a "router on
>> a stick". And in such cases, having input and output nearly the same
>> is expected.
>

> Maybe "ip route-cache same-interface" would help cut CPU, then?

no, this is a legacy fast-switching command not applicable to CEF/MPF..

There is nothing wrong with router-on-a-stick configurations.. actually
it is quite common.

oli
Re: LNS with 7200 with NPE-G1 [ In reply to ]
We got the following error:

%MPF-4-IGNOREDFEATURES: Interface Gi0/1: Input "NetFlow" configurations are not MPF supported and
are IGNORED.

Does this mean netflow won't be enabled at all or netflow will be enabled but won't get any benefit
from MPF?

Re: LNS with 7200 with NPE-G1 [ In reply to ]
Hello Tassos,

from:
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/partner/products/sw/iosswrel/ps5413/products_feature_guide09186a00804c2d31.html#wp1102888

--------------
Ignored MPF Features

Ignored features in an MPF network are those Cisco IOS features that are
neither accelerated by MPF nor punted for Cisco IOS processing. When an
ignored MPF feature is applied to a native GE interface on an MPF
system, the system accepts the configuration. However the unsupported
MPF feature is ignored for traffic going through that native GE interface.

An ignored MPF feature is not punted and not processed by Cisco IOS
software. The feature is ignored and does not cause any unexpected Cisco
IOS drops, crashes, network instability, or major behavioral differences.

Ignored Warning Message

When an ignored MPF feature is configured, the system issues a console
warning message for main physical interfaces and virtual templates. To
avoid console loading issues, a single warning message is issued only
for the first occurrence of the specific ignored feature for
subinterfaces (VLANs) and virtual accesses (sessions).
-------------------

Since the description says, the features will not be punted to the IOS
CPU, they will not be used at all (punt would be the slow path, which is
used for some other features that cannot be done in MPF).

kind regards,
Waltraud

--
Waltraud Erber <werber@cisco.com> - Network Consulting Engineer
Cisco Systems Am Soeldnermoos 17, 85399 Hallbergmoos, Germany
Re: Re[2]: LNS with 7200 with NPE-G1 [ In reply to ]
Just to close on this issue on the alias, the high CPU in L2X Data
Daemon was resolved by removing the configuration "l2tp ip udp
checksum" and re-initiating the tunnels (necessary for the
configuration to take effect). Sending or receiving UDP checksums for
L2TP traffic will cause packets to be punted to process switching
where it is handled by the L2X Data Daemon process.

Dennis