Mailing List Archive

QoS PPPoA vs PPPoE
Hi!

Has anyone of you configured CBWFQ and LLQ on MLPPP and dialer
interfaces which run PPPOE over an ATM-VPC interface (only client
output side is my concern).

Cisco has a nice documentation about PPPOA, but it seems that PPPOE
is not supported the same way:

http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/105/cbwfqdialer.html

I configured the interface like this...

interface ATM0.38 point-to-point
bandwidth 500
no snmp trap link-status
pvc sil 0/38
vbr-nrt 500 500
encapsulation aal5snap
service-policy output ATMOUT
pppoe-client dial-pool-number 1
!
end

Applying a service policy containing policer for the interface does
not result in the traffic beeing policed. Probably all these fancy
QoS things are not supported when using pppoe?

Regards

Christoph

--
SILVER SERVER \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\ \\\\\\ \\ \
Ing Christoph Loibl <cl@sil.at> Senior Network Engineer

Re: QoS PPPoA vs PPPoE [ In reply to ]
cisco-bba-bounces@puck.nether.net <> wrote on :

> Has anyone of you configured CBWFQ and LLQ on MLPPP and dialer
> interfaces which run PPPOE over an ATM-VPC interface (only client
> output side is my concern).
>
> Cisco has a nice documentation about PPPOA, but it seems that PPPOE
> is not supported the same way:
>
> http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/105/cbwfqdialer.html
>
> I configured the interface like this...
>
> interface ATM0.38 point-to-point
> bandwidth 500
> no snmp trap link-status
> pvc sil 0/38
> vbr-nrt 500 500
> encapsulation aal5snap
> service-policy output ATMOUT
> pppoe-client dial-pool-number 1
> !
> end
>
> Applying a service policy containing policer for the interface does
> not result in the traffic beeing policed. Probably all these fancy
> QoS things are not supported when using pppoe?

I don't know if this is documented, but I researched this a while back,
and we can only do outbound CBWFQ+LLQ on this PPPoEoA connection.
Outbound policing does not work there.
As a workaround: can you try to split policing and queuing into two
policy-maps and apply policing/re-coloring inbound on the LAN interface
and do Queuing/LLQ in the outbound direction on the ATM-PVC? This should
work..

oli