Mailing List Archive

7204VXR(NPE-G1) running c7200-jk9s-mz.123-14.T3.bin
Hello,

We have 7204-NPEG1s x 2 running c7200-jk9s-mz.123-14.T3.bin. These boxes are running BGP(default only), and terminating DSL L2TP VPDN's.

We're having a few issues with that image, one involving 'VTemplate Manager' tracebacks. According to TAC, this is bugid:

CSCeh90534
Externally found severe defect: Duplicate (D)
memory leak with micro_block_alloc calling VTEMPLATE Backgr

Duplicate of : CSCeg81196, fixed in 12.3(14)T4 and later

On same boxes, we get the following:

Aug 31 13:38:15.293: %PARSER-4-BADCFG: Unexpected end of configuration file.
Aug 31 13:38:15.297: %PARSER-4-BADCFG: Unexpected end of configuration file.

This is having the interesting side effect of not 'saving' a Loopback and GRE Tunnel interface to the running config file. When we show specific interface configurations, it's fine. See below:

#sh run int tunnel 0
Building configuration...
Current configuration : 136 bytes
!
interface Tunnel0
ip address 192.168.200.2 255.255.255.252
tunnel source GigabitEthernet0/2.200
tunnel destination a.b.c.d
end

#sh run int loopback 0
Building configuration...
Current configuration : 111 bytes
!
interface Loopback0
description VPDN Tunnel Endpoint
ip address a.b.c.d 255.255.255.255
end

So we know the interfaces are there, being routed over, but we you do an ordinary 'show run', they're configs are not complete..IP addressing gone.

#sh running-config | begin Tunnel0
interface Tunnel0
!
interface Loopback0
description VPDN Tunnel Endpoint
!

Therefore we can't make any changes to the config, we'll loose them when we save to startup!! The loopback is fairly critical, it terminates the L2TP tunnel, an on reboot, the VPDN sessions will not come up since there are no tunnels to carry them.

Has anyone encounterd this problem? We have been advised by TAC to upgrade to 12.4 mainline, which is fine, but I cannot get info regarding the config file corruption.

Any experiences/ideas appreciated.

Mark
Re: 7204VXR(NPE-G1) running c7200-jk9s-mz.123-14.T3.bin [ In reply to ]
Mark,

to me, this looks like side-effects of the memory leak, i.e. you're
running out of memory causing all kinds of things. Do you get malloc
failures in the logs? What is the TAC case# so I can take a look?

I do wonder about the PARSER-4-BADCFG message. What is the trigger for
them? Do you do some config via tftp or similar (copy tftp
running-config)?

oli

Re: 7204VXR(NPE-G1) running c7200-jk9s-mz.123-14.T3.bin [ In reply to ]
Hi Oliver,

TAC Case No. is 604178461 - Tracebacks etc on 7204-NPEG1s x 2 running
c7200-jk9s-mz.123-14.T3.bin.

Oliver, regarding the 'trigger', I was trying to figure this out myself.
These boxes were behaving perfectly for six or seven months and then
this, all of a sudden.

There have been no configuration changes, of note, since then. The only
thing I can think of is I am now logging a suspected spammer on an
extended inbound ACL on our internet-facing interface.

I get entries in logging buffer for this user. Possibly connected to
this is the mention of 'Virtual Exec' messages we got along with the
tracebacks. It's maybe nothing.

Thanks again,

Re: 7204VXR(NPE-G1) running c7200-jk9s-mz.123-14.T3.bin [ In reply to ]
Hello Mark,

Probably like teaching your grandmother to sucks egg's, but had a quick
look and I'm sure you've already seen it, but though I would drop this
over to you just incase you hadn't.

%PARSER-4-BADCFG (x1): Unexpected end of configuration file.

Explanation: A configuration has been read from the TFTP server or
NVRAM, and
the end of the file has been encountered before the end statement. The
configuration
may be corrupted or incomplete. What was read is in effect.

Recommended Action: Ensure that the configuration is correct. After the
configuration
is verified, enter either the copy running-config startup-config
command to write
the good configuration to NVRAM, or the copy running-config tftp
command to write

to a network TFTP server.

Martin.

- - - - - - - - - - - - -

Martin Robinson

Product Manager

www.hardware.com

+44 (0)1285 771 621

AIM : MartinHardware

________________________________

http://www.star.net.uk

http://www.star.net.uk
Re: 7204VXR(NPE-G1) running c7200-jk9s-mz.123-14.T3.bin [ In reply to ]
Ok, looked at the case.. You're running out of memory, causing all kinds
of bad things. Fix the memory leak by upgrading (or downgrade to
12.3(20), don't see any feature in the config which would require
12.3T), and the other problems will likely go away.

How do your Radius profiles look like? You're using full virtual-access
pre-cloned interfaces, and you might be better off with virtual-access
sub-interfaces.

oli

Mark Tohill <mailto:Mark@u.tv> wrote on Friday, September 01, 2006 10:54
AM:

Re: 7204VXR(NPE-G1) running c7200-jk9s-mz.123-14.T3.bin [ In reply to ]
Oliver,

I think the reason why we needed the 'T' image was the fact that we
upgraded to NPE-G1's and we probably took the latest 'T' image we could.

The reason we went for pre-cloned was because of RADIUS performance
issues when the box's were rebooted/reloaded or we lost VPDN tunnels.
Routers were swamped with RADIUS timeouts.

Thanks,
Mark

!
interface Virtual-Template1
description VPDN Virtual Template
mtu 1460
ip unnumbered Loopback0
ip tcp adjust-mss 1420
no logging event link-status
no snmp trap link-status
peer default ip address pool default
ppp mtu adaptive proxy
ppp authentication chap
!
!
vpdn-group 1
description VPDN-GROUP-1
accept-dialin
protocol l2tp
virtual-template 1
terminate-from hostname dsl.realm
source-ip aaa.bbb.ccc.ddd
lcp renegotiation on-mismatch
l2tp tunnel password<removed>
!
!
virtual-template 1 pre-clone 8000
!

Re: 7204VXR(NPE-G1) running c7200-jk9s-mz.123-14.T3.bin [ In reply to ]
Mark,

> I think the reason why we needed the 'T' image was the fact that we
> upgraded to NPE-G1's and we probably took the latest 'T' image we
> could.

the NPE-G1 is already supported in 12.3 mainline.

> The reason we went for pre-cloned was because of RADIUS performance
> issues when the box's were rebooted/reloaded or we lost VPDN tunnels.
> Routers were swamped with RADIUS timeouts.

true, but virtual-access subinterfaces are even better to address this
problem as they're lightweight interfaces not needing as many resources,
so there is no need to pre-clone these. Unless you're doing something
fancy in the Radius profiles like access-list or "lcp:interface-config",
you should be fine using VAI sub-interfaces. Try "test virtual-template
1 subinterface" and check if any command on your vtemplate prevents you
from using subinterfaces. Then I'd remove the pre-clone command and
check if users start to use VAI sub-interfaces.

In addition, you want to enable "radius-server source-ports extended"
(to allow for more than 256 concurrent outstanding Radius requests),
enable "radius-server deadtime <min>" to active a more apppropriate
dead-server detection algorithm for this environment, and you also want
to watch your input queues when many uses try to login at the same
time..

oli

Re: 7204VXR(NPE-G1) running c7200-jk9s-mz.123-14.T3.bin [ In reply to ]
Oliver,

Once we get rid of this memeory leak I'll look into transferring from
vtemplates to sub-interfaces.

We're going to go with 12.3(20) and hope it supports NPE-G1.

Thanks again,
Mark