I know that NPG-G2 is single core powerpc based and not multicore MIPS
based...maybe i can expect better performance with NPE-G1 with MFP IOS :-)

mark
Re: NPE-G2? [ In reply to ]
Mark wrote:

> I know that NPG-G2 is single core powerpc based and not multicore MIPS
> based...maybe i can expect better performance with NPE-G1 with MFP

There is a thread on cisco-nsp (see "MPF (was : NPE-G1 throughput, with
and without L2TP)") discussing MFP - and perhaps I've misunderstood, but
it appears MFP support will be dropped after 12.4(4)T, except for bug
fixes to existing versions.

The specs on the NPE-G2, as far as BBA is concerned, suggest aggregation
of up to 16k. In the real world, that likely means half. But we won't
know for certain until the first deployments report back.

-- Stephen.

Re: NPE-G2? [ In reply to ]
Hi Stephen,

Stephen Fulton wrote:
> Mark wrote:
>
> > I know that NPG-G2 is single core powerpc based and not multicore MIPS
> > based...maybe i can expect better performance with NPE-G1 with MFP
>
> There is a thread on cisco-nsp (see "MPF (was : NPE-G1 throughput, with
> and without L2TP)") discussing MFP - and perhaps I've misunderstood, but
> it appears MFP support will be dropped after 12.4(4)T, except for bug
> fixes to existing versions.

I hope that support for MPF is not dropped. Seems to works well and
enhancements are very good (btw seems another PFX).

> The specs on the NPE-G2, as far as BBA is concerned, suggest aggregation
> of up to 16k. In the real world, that likely means half. But we won't
> know for certain until the first deployments report back.

Yes, but NPE-G1 supports already 16k session, but in real world seems
more 7k/8k. My hope that npe-g2 can give more me more sessions.

Re: NPE-G2? [ In reply to ]
Hi Mark,
NPE-G2 supports the same broadband features that are supported
on a NPE-G1. Non-broadband, performance should be twice that of an
NPE-G1 and broadband performance should be slightly less than that.

Unfortunately, as Stephen stated MPF support with NPE-G1 is
stopped and no MPF images will be released.
NPE-G2 doesn't support MPF.

Both G1 and G2 supports 16K Sessions (without any other
performance limiting features)

Regards
Prem

Re: NPE-G2? [ In reply to ]
Hi Prem,

Prem Anand (hprem) wrote on 9/5/2006 8:27:
> Hi Mark,
> NPE-G2 supports the same broadband features that are supported
> on a NPE-G1. Non-broadband, performance should be twice that of an
> NPE-G1 and broadband performance should be slightly less than that.
>
> Unfortunately, as Stephen stated MPF support with NPE-G1 is
> stopped and no MPF images will be released.

Was there a specific reason for deciding that one?

--
Tassos

Re: NPE-G2? [ In reply to ]
Prem Anand (hprem) wrote:
> Hi Mark,
> NPE-G2 supports the same broadband features that are supported
> on a NPE-G1. Non-broadband, performance should be twice that of an
> NPE-G1 and broadband performance should be slightly less than that.

Slightly less that twice a NPE-G1 or sight less a NPE-G1???

mark

> Prem Anand (hprem) wrote on 9/5/2006 8:27:
> > Hi Mark,
> > NPE-G2 supports the same broadband features that are
> supported on a
> > NPE-G1. Non-broadband, performance should be twice that of an
> > NPE-G1 and broadband performance should be slightly less than that.
> >
> > Unfortunately, as Stephen stated MPF support with
> NPE-G1 is stopped
> > and no MPF images will be released.
>

> Was there a specific reason for deciding that one?

No obvious reasons; May be b'cos MPF supported only BBA and not any
other features

Prem

> --
> Tassos
>
> > NPE-G2 doesn't support MPF.
> >
> > Both G1 and G2 supports 16K Sessions (without any other
> performance
> > limiting features)
> >
> > Regards
> > Prem

Hahaha. Good question. Slightly less than that of twice a NPE-G1 :-)