Mailing List Archive

some more questions ;)
Hi folks,

at first, about logging:
why is logging only provided through syslog?
Is it supposed to be faster than logging directly to files?
how about offering a (second) way to log through a command i.e. using cronolog?

Then you don't have to provide an own logging-facility but can use other
performant tools for it.

ok and secondly, about documentation:
I'm working on opensource-projects on my own so I know that documentation
is the part which comes at the very last ;-).
Are the comments in the conf-file (which already help much) the only available
documentation?
I'm pretty sure that people which may look into cherokee later will appreciate
any further documentation, maybe even available on the website for looking into
it before deciding if to use it.
A small description of the available handlers might be usefull too, some are obvious
(like file ;-)) other aren't (like gnomevfs).

KeepAlive-settings (again, ideas taken from apache ;-)):
how about adding settings for how many seconds to wait for further keep-alive-requests and
how many keep-alive-requests are accepted from a user? I don't even know how this is
handled currently (though I'm sure that I could look into the code ;-)).

Thanks again for that great piece of code.

Thomas

btw, how is it going with the php-module? ;-)
some more questions ;) [ In reply to ]

On Sunday 01 June 2003 18:00, Thomas Seifert wrote:

> at first, about logging:
> why is logging only provided through syslog?
> Is it supposed to be faster than logging directly to files?
> how about offering a (second) way to log through a command i.e. using
> cronolog?
>
> Then you don't have to provide an own logging-facility but can use other
> performant tools for it.

At this point the logging system is temporal. It should be rewritten in the
same way of the rest of cherokee, I mean, module based. We should have a
modules for syslog, a module for direct file writting, and so on.

At the begging, I chose the syslog method cuz it's the standard and it has a
good performance. In the current Cherokee version, it's hardcoded.. but it
should be fixed soon. :-)

> ok and secondly, about documentation:
> I'm working on opensource-projects on my own so I know that documentation
> is the part which comes at the very last ;-).
> Are the comments in the conf-file (which already help much) the only
> available documentation?

No, there's a mini tutorial in the "doc" directory.
It's not very extensive.. I know.. but it's better than nothing %-)

It's well known... we all hate write down documentation. '';)

> I'm pretty sure that people which may look into cherokee later will
> appreciate any further documentation, maybe even available on the website
> for looking into it before deciding if to use it.
> A small description of the available handlers might be usefull too, some
> are obvious (like file ;-)) other aren't (like gnomevfs).

Ummm... you're right.
I didn't think about upload it to the website.

I'm going to do it today :))

> KeepAlive-settings (again, ideas taken from apache ;-)):
> how about adding settings for how many seconds to wait for further
> keep-alive-requests

The "timeout" configuration entry do it in the general case. But well, add a
new timeout for keepalive iterations looks ok. I've added it to the TODO
file. :-)

> and how many keep-alive-requests are accepted from a
> user? I don't even know how this is handled currently (though I'm sure that
> I could look into the code ;-)).

It's implemented but has not a configuration entry (what a silly mistake!)
The MAX_KEEP_ALIVE constant (common.h) defines it. :-)

echo "Export max keep alive iterations to config file" >> TODO

> btw, how is it going with the php-module? ;-)

Eh eh.. good question ';-)

It should be the next new feature of Cherokee. I was working on it, reading
php code, and trying to understand the painful API of PHP... but without a
real result (working php handler) until now. I'm going to continue working
on it. It's a very important feature that Cherokee should has ASAP. :-)

BTW, there're people thinking about implement a WebWare [1] handler for
Cherokee. :-))

[1] http://webware.sourceforge.net

- --
Greetings, alo.
http://www.alobbs.com
some more questions ;) [ In reply to ]
Hi Alo,

thanks for your quick and helpful answers.
I'll probably make the transition for the static contents on my site
at the next weekend. I'll let you know if I stumble about problems
or having further ideas :-).

> At this point the logging system is temporal. It should be rewritten in the
> same way of the rest of cherokee, I mean, module based. We should have a
> modules for syslog, a module for direct file writting, and so on.
>
> At the begging, I chose the syslog method cuz it's the standard and it has a
> good performance. In the current Cherokee version, it's hardcoded.. but it
> should be fixed soon. :-)

Sounds good. Modules are the right way to go :-).

> No, there's a mini tutorial in the "doc" directory.
> It's not very extensive.. I know.. but it's better than nothing %-)

Ah thanks, I missed that one. Yeah, it explains at least the fundamental concepts of the
configuration :-).

> It should be the next new feature of Cherokee. I was working on it, reading
> php code, and trying to understand the painful API of PHP... but without a
> real result (working php handler) until now. I'm going to continue working
> on it. It's a very important feature that Cherokee should has ASAP. :-)

Umm, yes, I can nearly feel the pain ;-). PHP is great but I think the API
for people who want to embed it isn't the simplest thing in the world :).

> BTW, there're people thinking about implement a WebWare [1] handler for
> Cherokee. :-))

Why not? The more modules are available the more people will want to use cherokee :-).

Thomas