Mailing List Archive

Cherokee problems
Folks, I am a new user of Cherokee - started using it only yesterday - so
please be gentle and guide me. I have setup one site - bmcnoida.org and it
is running fine.

Here is my query for another site.

the domain samartha.info is a drupal site so I can set up the rules for
that. OK.

However samartha.info/techblogs/ is a wordpress site.

How do I make Cherokee write the rules for Wordpress when techblogs is
accessed.

I want to migrate that site to cherokee.

Please guide me step by step.

Also: I want to create a new subdomain called photos.bmcnoida.org and make
it serve from the /photos directory.

Any one who accesses bmcnoida.org/photos should automatically be redirected
to photos.bmcnoida.org.
How do I do this?

Please guide me step by step.

So far, I am enjoying Cherokee. Well done devs.

Thanks.

God bless you all.
Re: Cherokee problems [ In reply to ]

> How do I make Cherokee write the rules for Wordpress when techblogs is
> accessed.

Installing WordPress should work with no additional configuration. The only
extra config in Cherokee is for URL rewriting (custom permalinks), which
any live WordPress site should use. You'd need to create a "List and Send"
rule for static files, and add a "Redirect" handler underneath it to handle
the permalinks.

Also: I want to create a new subdomain called photos.bmcnoida.org and make
> it serve from the /photos directory.
> Any one who accesses bmcnoida.org/photos should automatically be
> redirected to photos.bmcnoida.org.
> How do I do this?

Create a directory rule for /photos and set it to use the "redirection"
handler:
Show: External
Regular expression: ^(.*)$
Substitution: photos.bmcnoida.org/$1

Re: Cherokee problems [ In reply to ]
Thanks Daniel.

My question is samartha.info is a drupal site. So I can configure that
using wizard.

However, samartha.info/techblog is a wordpress site.

So should I create a directory rule for /techblog and put in the wordpress
config there?

Also Cherokee does not seem to honor index.php inside sub-directories,
automatically.

For e.g. accessing bmcnoida.org/photos returns a page not found.

However, accessing bmcnoida.org/photos/index.php works fine.

So how do I fix this?

Please tell me step-by-step.

Once I get this fine, I will continue to use Cherokee and will even
contribute to its development.

Thanks
Michael.

Re: Cherokee problems [ In reply to ]

> So should I create a directory rule for /techblog and put in the wordpress
> config there?

Yes. However, as I said in my previous message, WordPress doesn't need any
configuration, other than to specify the custom permalinks. You should be
able to get a basic WordPress installation working without any additional
configuration in your virtual host. Just put WordPress inside the
"techblog" directory and then go to its installer. Refer to the WordPress
installation guide for more details on that :)

Also Cherokee does not seem to honor index.php inside sub-directories,
> automatically.
> For e.g. accessing bmcnoida.org/photos returns a page not found.
> However, accessing bmcnoida.org/photos/index.php works fine.
> So how do I fix this?

Do you have "index.php" listed in Virtual server -> Basics tab -> Directory

Re: Cherokee problems [ In reply to ]
Hi Daniel,

Thanks for helping me.

However, it still does not work. I put in a redirection rule for directory
/techblog

I made it internal and put in the substitution as ^/techblog/index.php

However if I access samartha.info/techblog, I get a page not found.

Also if I try to access samartha.info/techblog/index.php, still there is a
page not found.

How do I make this work first?

Then is the next step of configuring permalinks.

Please help sir.

thanks
Michael

Re: Cherokee problems [ In reply to ]
It is very sad that this beautiful webserver has insufficient documentation
to make a simple thing work.

Worse, it seems no one on the forum knows how to make this work.

Oh well - I will move to nignx or an apache/varnish combination.

Re: Cherokee problems [ In reply to ]
documentation is there.. you have insufficient knowledge with regex.

http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/cherokee/users/21909
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/cherokee/users/7053
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/cherokee/users/14748

Re: Cherokee problems [ In reply to ]
Thanks Daniel. I will try with this today.

Yes I am new to regex.

On Wed, Feb 8, 2012 at 7:06 PM, admin extremeshok.com <admin@extremeshok.com

Re: Cherokee problems [ In reply to ]
Also you can use this web for regex tests
http://www.fileformat.info/tool/regex.htm
Configuring cherokee rules is not so difficult when you understant it.

Re: Cherokee problems [ In reply to ]
Thanks Jlan.

Yes I need some handholding in these initial days with Cherokee.