Mailing List Archive

Cherokee RAM consumption with empty default install?
Installing Cherokee on a small VPS instead of the large servers we
typically work with (i.e. 16GB+ of RAM).

This container limits us in this instance to 512MB of RAM.

Installed the Cherokee 1.2.99b source on Debian.

We start out with the system using 48MB of RAM consumed by various
other applications.

Start cherokee-admin = 59MB of RAM total consumed

Log into cherokee web admin via browser = 108MB consumed

Start Default Cherokee Server config via Cherokee-admin = 221MB consumed

Grand Total= 173MB consumed for Cherokee + cherokee-admin

This is the default empty install as Cherokee ships.

Anyone have any recommendations on how to 'slim' Cherokee down?

173MB is entirely too much RAM (my opinion) for an empty base install
sitting idle.

What does everyone else think?
Re: Cherokee RAM consumption with empty default install? [ In reply to ]
Re: Cherokee RAM consumption with empty default install? [ In reply to ]
Let's see!

Disabled iocache via cherokee-admin, stopped all Cherokee processes.

Start RAM consumed: 73 MB
Run Cherokee-Admin: 82 MB
Load cherokee-admin in browser: 133 MB
Start Cherokee from cherokee web admin: 224 MB
Kill cherokee-admin: 165MB

= 92MB of RAM

That's better, but still rather large.

173MB with IOCache on
92MB with IOCache off and Cherokee-admin not running

Any other optimizations folks can think of to shrink Cherokee more?

Re: Cherokee RAM consumption with empty default install? [ In reply to ]
On Tue, 3 Jan 2012, pub crawler wrote:

> That's better, but still rather large.

Yes, and my standard Cherokee is only 10MB. So I wonder if you may count
shared memory (mmaped).

Stefan
Re: Cherokee RAM consumption with empty default install? [ In reply to ]
Just tweaked Advanced > Resources > Thread Number.
New Value: 5

Revised RAM numbers:
Start: 74MB
Run cherokee-admin: 125MB
Start cherokee from admin: 176MB
Kill Cherokee-admin: 125MB

Used: 51MB

Anyone see any implications in setting this value for threads at 5?

51MB is still rather a tad large but getting better :)

Re: Cherokee RAM consumption with empty default install? [ In reply to ]
Purely looking at RAM numbers on idle system with RAM at each
different stage of testing.

The shared memory part, Cherokee requests/uses the RAM but doesn't per
se lock some of that?

How does one differentiate here what RAM is hard reserved and what is
shared (nmaped)?

Have some RISC embedded platforms working with also at this point and
RAM there is quite limited (128MB total system RAM). So, I suspect
whatever we learn here should benefit folks on those smaller
platforms.

Re: Cherokee RAM consumption with empty default install? [ In reply to ]
On Tue, 3 Jan 2012, pub crawler wrote:

> Have some RISC embedded platforms working with also at this point and
> RAM there is quite limited (128MB total system RAM). So, I suspect
> whatever we learn here should benefit folks on those smaller
> platforms.

Practically you could also at compilation disable modules, for example if
you never use pam, mysql etc. disable it, saves diskspace and memory.

Stefan