Mailing List Archive

Crash when using a PHP file
Hello,
I wanted to try the Cherokee server on my Sheevaplug , running Linux Squeeze
Debian 4.3.5-4
Version of Cherokee : 1.0.8-5
Version of PHP-CGI : 5.3.3-7+squeeze3

Now everytime I try to open a php file, even a very small one (like
phpinfo.php), the server crashes, I get 503 Service Unavailable
Cherokee web server 1.0.8 (Debian GNU/Linux), Port 80

I have to kill the process, and restart the server.
I've uninstalled, purged, everything many times, but still gets the same
problem.

Now I'm a bit at a loss here. I'd gladly accept your help :)

Cheers,
LeK

Re: Crash when using a PHP file [ In reply to ]
On Thu, 8 Dec 2011, LeKeiser wrote:

> Now I'm a bit at a loss here. I'd gladly accept your help :)

What stops you to use the latest version of Cherokee?
Re: Crash when using a PHP file [ In reply to ]
Stefan de Konink dijo [Fri, Dec 09, 2011 at 12:58:32AM +0100]:
> On Thu, 8 Dec 2011, LeKeiser wrote:
>
> >Now I'm a bit at a loss here. I'd gladly accept your help :)
>
> What stops you to use the latest version of Cherokee?

Using what's part of your distribution. Not everybody wants to live on
the bleeding edge!
Re: Crash when using a PHP file [ In reply to ]
Mmmh... I have used aptitude to install Cherokee, and that was the latest
version that was proposed :(

Re: Crash when using a PHP file [ In reply to ]
What your distribution calls stable isnt what we call stable, and
results in people coming here and not the debian bugtracker.

Stefan

Op 9 dec 2011 om 01:16 heeft Gunnar Wolf <gwolf@gwolf.org> het
volgende geschreven:\

Re: Crash when using a PHP file [ In reply to ]
Hello Stefan,
So what do you suggest I do? Download the latest version of Cherokee and
install it "not the debian" way? (./configure, ./make, etc?)

Weird thing : I have configured two VMs, server is running the same versions
as the physical one, and everything is working...
Could it be a memory problem? I have about 5Mb RAM available before I try a
.php, maybe it's a bit too low?

Re: Crash when using a PHP file [ In reply to ]
On Fri, 9 Dec 2011, LeKeiser wrote:

> So what do you suggest I do? Download the latest version of Cherokee and
> install it "not the debian" way? (./configure, ./make, etc?)

Yes, the arm spawning bug should already been solved.

> Weird thing : I have configured two VMs, server is running the same versions
> as the physical one, and everything is working...
> Could it be a memory problem? I have about 5Mb RAM available before I try a
> .php, maybe it's a bit too low?

Yes, php with extensions usually take much more than that.

Stefan
Re: Crash when using a PHP file [ In reply to ]
Stefan de Konink dijo [Fri, Dec 09, 2011 at 09:47:05AM +0100]:
> What your distribution calls stable isnt what we call stable, and
> results in people coming here and not the debian bugtracker.

Yup - Maybe the right response would be to file a bug in the
distribution BTS. However, do you run an bleeding edge version of all
of the software you use? Some people will need the latest and greatest
features. Most won't. For most people, a two year old Cherokee (with
no hassle to install and properly integrated in the system) has an
interesting value over a comparable Apache or LigHTTPd.

Why? Because people don't need to be overly aware of the development
status of each of the bits in their system. They don't want to know
that not a single release of Cherokee since 1.2.100 has been able to
be cleanly compiled¹ (and thus, has been dropped off the Testing
branch).

¹ http://release.debian.org/migration/testing.pl?package=cherokee
Re: Crash when using a PHP file [ In reply to ]
That could probably be the issue - 5 MB might not be enough to start PHP.

Re: Crash when using a PHP file [ In reply to ]
Well I decided to try it again on a Dockstar.
So I installed a brand new Debian, the latest Cherokee 1.2.101, configured
it and installed it, I installed PHP5-CGI with aptitude, launch
cherokee-admin -b - t and started to use the wizard to add PHP, but when I
have to create the rule, nothing happens at all... I can click 100 times on
the Create button, nothing happens :(
That's all there is on that Dockstar, so...

I'd gladly listen to your advices on that matter :)

php5-cgi -v
PHP 5.3.3-7+squeeze3 with Suhosin-Patch (cgi-fcgi) (built: Jun 28 2011
15:20:56)
Copyright (c) 1997-2009 The PHP Group
Zend Engine v2.3.0, Copyright (c) 1998-2010 Zend Technologies

Thanx for your help again