Mailing List Archive

Cherokee 1.2.100 released
=========================

Cherokee is a very fast, flexible and easy to configure Web Server. It supports
the widespread technologies nowadays: FastCGI, SCGI, PHP, CGI, uWSGI, SSI, TLS
and SSL encrypted connections, Virtual hosts, Authentication, on the fly
encoding, Load Balancing, Apache compatible log files, Data Base Balancing,
Reverse HTTP Proxy, Traffic Shaper, Video Streaming and much more.

Cherokee-Admin, a user friendly interface, provides a no-hassle configuration
of the server. Completely integrated with the Cherokee Distribution, it can
automatically deploy web applications for an optimal performance. Check out the
benchmarks and documentation to learn more, join our active Community and give
it a try to squeeze your hardware to the fullest!

Please visit the Cherokee Web Server site for more information.

http://www.cherokee-project.com/

Changes since the previous release
----------------------------------

* NEW: HSTS (HTTP Strict Transport Security) support
* FIX: Much better IPv6 support
* FIX: Much better multi-IP hosts support
* FIX: SSL/TLS support with Chunk encoded responses
* FIX: New SSL/TLS cyphers default initialization to HIGH:!aNULL:!MD5
* FIX: The cherokee binary did not return the correct ret codes on exit
* FIX: Do not use GZip with old IE browsers
* FIX: Front-Line Cache could access invalid memory
* FIX: Secure Download QA tests could not run for more than a minute
* FIX: Better parsing of some headers
* FIX: The Server header entry could be added twice by the reverse proxy
* FIX: PHP wizard works again
* FIX: Fixes a few minor memory leaks

Availability
------------

A tarball file is already available for you to download:
http://www.cherokee-project.com/download/1.2/1.2.100/cherokee-1.2.100.tar.gz

* RIPEMD-160: 1282692dac135f73bf0604e2c2ca753baa2f40b3
* SHA-224: d205d2052b82c7ff823b2dc8c2003a9462752530709fb964363934d8

Packages
--------

A MacOS X binary package is available for Intel based Macs at:

http://www.cherokee-project.com/download/1.2/1.2.100/MacOSX/Cherokee-1.2.100.dmg

Automated installation from the sources
---------------------------------------

Either of the following commands will perform an automatic deployment of the
latest version of Cherokee under /opt/cherokee:

wget http://cherokee-project.com/install && python install
or
curl -LO http://cherokee-project.com/install && python install

Proud Cherokee users

http://lists.cherokee-project.com/

Feedback
--------

Do not hesitate to send us bug reports and requests for enhancements. Your
feedback is very valuable to us!

http://bugs.cherokee-project.com/

Acknowledges
------------

A whole lot of people have contributed with the project during the last years;
without their help Cherokee could not be possible. Many thanks to everybody who
has contributed.

Special acknowledges to our main contributors for this release:

* Antonio Perez
* Stefan de Konink
* Si Feng
* Sylvain Munaut
* Paweł Wysocki
* mehmetali

ROCK ON!!
Re: Cherokee 1.2.100 released [ In reply to ]
> Cherokee 1.2.100 released
> =========================

Packages for Ubuntu Oneiric,Natty,Maverick and Lucid are ready at Lauchpad
https://launchpad.net/~cherokee-webserver/+archive/ppa

Are you still using Ubuntu Hardy ?? for the last release I didn't made
the package an no one asked for it

Keep Rocking ..

Leonel

Re: Cherokee 1.2.100 released [ In reply to ]
在 2011-10-09日的 17:08 +0200,Alvaro Lopez Ortega写道:

> [...]
> Proud Cherokee users
> We would love to know that you are using Cherokee. Submit your domain
> name and it will be listed on the Cherokee Project web site:
>
> http://www.cherokee-project.com/cherokee-domain-list.html
> Mailing lists
> The Cherokee Project community mailing lists are available at:
>
> http://lists.cherokee-project.com/
> Feedback
> Do not hesitate to send us bug reports and requests for enhancements.
> Your feedback is very valuable to us!
>
> http://bugs.cherokee-project.com/
> Acknowledges
> A whole lot of people have contributed with the project during the
> last years; without their help Cherokee could not be possible. Many
> thanks to everybody who has contributed.
>
> Special acknowledges to our main contributors for this release:

Good job!thankx~

Leonel Nunez,the package maintainer,thanks too.

--
Best regards,
Sharl.Jimh.Tsin (From China **Obviously Taiwan INCLUDED**)

Using Gmail? Please read this important notice:
http://www.fsf.org/campaigns/jstrap/gmail?10073.
Re: Cherokee 1.2.100 released [ In reply to ]
Will these packages work on Debian or are they Ubuntu only?

Re: Cherokee 1.2.100 released [ In reply to ]
Gunnar, Leonel,

How would you feel about providing a short cookbook on how to build Cherokee
.debs?

- Unpack a release tarball
- Clone the '/debian' directory from git
- Compile the whole thing with dpkg

I guess it'd be useful for people who use Debian/Ubuntu derivatives and/or
must stick to a old/stable version.

On Mon, Oct 10, 2011 at 9:30 AM, Daniel Lo Nigro <dan15@ymail.com> wrote:

> Will these packages work on Debian or are they Ubuntu only?

--
Greetings, alo
http://www.octality.com/
Re: Cherokee 1.2.100 released [ In reply to ]
Hello:

> Will these packages work on Debian or are they Ubuntu only?

The Oneiric package should work with debian Unstable, I haven't tested for
the stable debian release

Saludos

Leonel

Re: Cherokee 1.2.100 released [ In reply to ]
Hello :

> Gunnar, Leonel,
>
> How would you feel about providing a short cookbook on how to build
> Cherokee
> ..debs?
>
> - Unpack a release tarball
> - Clone the '/debian' directory from git
> - Compile the whole thing with dpkg
>
> I guess it'd be useful for people who use Debian/Ubuntu derivatives and/or
> must stick to a old/stable version.

do you want a formal doc or just a quick recepie ??

For the stable debian version we can do a backport but that's not the
debian stable meaning

Saludos

Leonel

Re: Cherokee 1.2.100 released [ In reply to ]
Leonel Nunez dijo [Mon, Oct 10, 2011 at 05:12:10AM -0600]:
> Hello:
>
> > Will these packages work on Debian or are they Ubuntu only?
>
> The Oneiric package should work with debian Unstable, I haven't tested for
> the stable debian release

Note that it's never recommended to use a package not built for your
specific distribution, as there might be subtle differences
(i.e. minor versions in libraries linked with) that _should_ not be
harmful but _might_ be.

Debian is currently shipping 1.2.99, and Leonel told me he would be
pushing his latest changes to our Git repository so we finally merge
back our trees. I'll wait for him to commit and then rebuild/upload.
The packages will be, of course, targetted at Debian Unstable.

Greetings,
Re: Cherokee 1.2.100 released [ In reply to ]
Alvaro Lopez Ortega dijo [Mon, Oct 10, 2011 at 11:46:01AM +0200]:
> Gunnar, Leonel,
>
> How would you feel about providing a short cookbook on how to build Cherokee
> .debs?
>
> - Unpack a release tarball
> - Clone the '/debian' directory from git
> - Compile the whole thing with dpkg
>
> I guess it'd be useful for people who use Debian/Ubuntu derivatives and/or
> must stick to a old/stable version.

People who use Debian/Ubuntu should use the provided packages.

People who use derivatives which are not binary-compatible and want to
provide a Cherokee package should base their work on our git tree, and
most preferrably, include their work (including tagging the specific
versions) in it.

If we are not fast enough to push new upstream releases, then please
join in and help us! Push the new Cherokee versions to the Git tree.

I'm not only using the Git tree for Debian work - I'd love to make it
useful for as many derivative distributions as possible. And one of
the points that makes Debian the most derived-from distribution is
that it's actually very easy to integrate your whole distribution work
in it.
Re: Cherokee 1.2.100 released [ In reply to ]
Hello Gunnar,

It sounds great! What would you think about documenting that process somewhere, so we have a reference for people who are not used to build packages from source and/or use git? I believe it'd be quite useful for them.

Sent from my HTC

Re: Cherokee 1.2.100 released [ In reply to ]
Alvaro Lopez Ortega dijo [Tue, Oct 11, 2011 at 07:54:39PM +0200]:
> Hello Gunnar,
>
> It sounds great! What would you think about documenting that process
> somewhere, so we have a reference for people who are not used to
> build packages from source and/or use git? I believe it'd be quite
> useful for them.

Again? :-)

http://lists.octality.com/pipermail/cherokee/2008-November/009241.html
Re: Cherokee 1.2.100 released [ In reply to ]
Anyone having trouble with cherokee-admin on 1.2.100? Just tried setting it
up on RHEL 6.1 and separately on CentOS 6, cherokee-admin has trouble
starting on RHEL 6.1 but not on CentOS. Specifically, on RHEL,
cherokee-admin seemingly starts fine when run, but upon entering the
one-time password the web interface never loads & the browser waits for a
response forever. Curiously, this isn't the case on CentOS 6, where
cherokee-admin is able to load without a problem. I'm using the same
configurations between both and compiling from source.

I've still got to try and run cherokee-admin in debug mode and try it
without authentication etc, but I'm curious as to whether anything
significant changed between 1.2.99 and 1.2.100. The previous cherokee-admin
is currently working without trouble on the same RHEL machine.

TIA.

-- David
Re: Cherokee 1.2.100 released [ In reply to ]
The problem here is that cherokee 'server' tries to connect to [::1]:4000
and the python backend is bound to 127.0.0.1:4000. This affects distro's
that ignorantly said: bind to the any address is limited to the address
family.

Now we should blame cherokee server as well, because it should try
[::1]:4000, and after it 127.0.0.1:4000.

The quick workaround for you: comment out the line ::1 localhost in
/etc/hosts

Stefan

Re: Cherokee 1.2.100 released [ In reply to ]
The proper fix would be to make the Python backend to bind to all the
interfaces associated with "localhost".

--
Greetings, alo
http://www.octality.com/
Re: Cherokee 1.2.100 released [ In reply to ]
Fix done, patch / commit / tests on the way.

Pozdrawiam
Jędrzej Nowak

Re: Cherokee 1.2.100 released [ In reply to ]
Re: Cherokee 1.2.100 released [ In reply to ]
Stefan,

2011/10/13 Stefan de Konink <stefan@konink.de>

> Op 13-10-11 15:05, Jędrzej Nowak schreef:
> > Fix done, patch / commit / tests on the way.
> In my humble opinion the server should cope... yes this fix is good
> yes, but I could even suggest using a unix socket...

The launching of interpreters that open Unix sockets is way less reliable.
We made cherokee-admin to use a TCP socket a while ago because of that.

--
Greetings, alo
http://www.octality.com/
Re: Cherokee 1.2.100 released [ In reply to ]
Thanks, I'll give that a shot shortly.

-- David

Re: Cherokee 1.2.100 released [ In reply to ]
Yep, that /etc/hosts line was the difference. CentOS defines "::1" as only
IPv6 localhost names (localhost6 etc) whilst RHEL defines it as all
incarnations.

Cherokee 1.2.100 installed and working fine on RHEL 6. Many thanks!

FYI, in case anyone tries to install the RPMs from the EPEL testing
repository, the current versions were built without LDAP and GeoIP support
(seemingly for all distros and architectures; see
https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=746532).

-- david