Mailing List Archive

Issue 416 in cherokee: Cherokee goes load up in the sky; TCP Cork related
Owner: alobbs
Labels: Type-Defect OpSys-Linux Priority-Medium Component-Logic Performance

New issue 416 by ste...@konink.de: Cherokee goes load up in the sky; TCP
Cork related
http://code.google.com/p/cherokee/issues/detail?id=416

What steps will reproduce the problem?
1. Ask some clients with very bad network setups to come to your webserver
2. Your kernel log will complain:

TCP: Treason uncloaked! Peer <IP>/80 shrinks window 46783721:46797054.
Repaired.

3. Cherokee logs an error:
socket.c:1396: ERROR: Removing TCP_CORK to fd -1: Bad file descriptor

Now I expect this is valid output in the first place, but for some reason,
after a while of these things happening the cherokee-worker process goes
sky high, think in loads around 100+.

Issue 416 in cherokee: Cherokee goes load up in the sky; TCP Cork related [ In reply to ]
Comment #1 on issue 416 by alobbs: Cherokee goes load up in the sky; TCP
Cork related
http://code.google.com/p/cherokee/issues/detail?id=416

As always, the first thing will be to reproduce the issue.
I haven't seen this issue on my production server.. so it looks like it
won't be easy to reproduce. Any hint is
welcome.

Issue 416 in cherokee: Cherokee goes load up in the sky; TCP Cork related [ In reply to ]
Comment #2 on issue 416 by ste...@konink.de: Cherokee goes load up in the
sky; TCP Cork related
http://code.google.com/p/cherokee/issues/detail?id=416

Syncookies are enabled, the output is:

Cherokee Web Server 0.99.8b3025 (Mar 27 2009): Listening on port ALL:80, TLS
disabled, IPv6 enabled, using epoll, 32768 fds system limit, max. 16377
connections, caching I/O, 40 threads, 409 connections per thread, standard
scheduling policy

socket.c:1408: ERROR: Removing TCP_CORK to fd -1: Bad file descriptor
[flv @ 0xf7baa0]skipping flv packet: type 250, size 867, flags 0
[flv @ 0x14842f0]warning: first frame is no keyframe

Re: Issue 416 in cherokee: Cherokee goes load up in the sky; TCP Cork related [ In reply to ]
Comment #3 on issue 416 by psaod8fz...@gmail.com: Cherokee goes load up in
the sky; TCP Cork related
http://code.google.com/p/cherokee/issues/detail?id=416

I tried to reproduce this with VMware. I set up current Cherokee on current
Debian and installed Drupal 7.

In VMware, I set the income traffice limit to 16kbps with 25% packet loss.

I have no entries in any of the files in /var/log during 10 minutes of
testing.