Mailing List Archive

Issue 169 in cherokee: HTML5 WebSockets support
Issue 169: HTML5 WebSockets support
http://code.google.com/p/cherokee/issues/detail?id=169

New issue report by alobbs:
We ought to start thinking about adding HTML5 Websockets support:

http://www.whatwg.org/specs/web-apps/current-work/#network
http://www.jroller.com/tedgoddard/entry/websocket_is_neither_web_nor

Issue attributes:
Owner: alobbs
Labels: Type-Enhancement OpSys-All Priority-Medium

Issue 169 in cherokee: HTML5 WebSockets support [ In reply to ]
Issue 169: HTML5 WebSockets support
http://code.google.com/p/cherokee/issues/detail?id=169

Comment #1 by r...@ruilopes.com:
Support for websocket is something that I would like to work on, but its
also
something that has no immediate use (web browsers will need to implement it
too).

Something that I would like to do first, is to bring http://orbited.org
(btw, I
participate in that project) sockets style into cherokee (once this
technology
matures in orbited). Though, I'm not sure if you think its a good idea...

If you don't already known, orbited proxies data between the front-end
browser and a
backend TCP socket server (eg. LiveHelp [0] demo app allows you to access a
normal
IRC server using your browser); for doing that, it needs to buffer data
inside
orbited until the browser pick it up (similar to what a normal http reverse
proxy
does, I guess). Its something like this:

browser<--http-->orbited<--tcp-->backend_tcp_server

Inside the browser is some JS magic/glue [1] to make this work too.

Maybe you think this is to heavy lifting for cherokee and prefer this
scheme:

browser<--http-->cherokee<--http-->orbited<--tcp-->backend_tcp_server

But for this to work, we need cherokee http reverse proxy (preferably with
keep-
alive too).

Though, having this built-in cherokee would allow us to drop the second
http proxy
connection (and maybe it would run a little faster because inside cherokee
this
would be implemented in C instead of python) and the orbited process.

[0] http://orbited.org/wiki/LiveHelp
[1] http://orbited.org/wiki/TCPSocket

Re: Issue 169 in cherokee: HTML5 WebSockets support [ In reply to ]
Comment #3 on issue 169 by bkclements: HTML5 WebSockets support
http://code.google.com/p/cherokee/issues/detail?id=169

Hi,

admiring websockets support in mongrel2.. but it doesn't support ssl.

what do you think about websockets support now? Ready to move ahead?

Re: Issue 169 in cherokee: HTML5 WebSockets support [ In reply to ]
Comment #4 on issue 169 by alobbs: HTML5 WebSockets support
http://code.google.com/p/cherokee/issues/detail?id=169

Interesting references:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WebSockets
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-hybi-thewebsocketprotocol-06
http://socket.io/

Re: Issue 169 in cherokee: HTML5 WebSockets support [ In reply to ]
Comment #5 on issue 169 by rastrano: HTML5 WebSockets support
http://code.google.com/p/cherokee/issues/detail?id=169

You don't need to implement websocket protocol but just to implement an
http1.1 reverse proxy to use things like ape-project.org as a backend server

Re: Issue 169 in cherokee: HTML5 WebSockets support [ In reply to ]
Comment #6 on issue 169 by promethe...@gmail.com: HTML5 WebSockets support
http://code.google.com/p/cherokee/issues/detail?id=169

Just wondering if there has been any updates or rough ETAs for this yet?
Thanks!