Mailing List Archive

Making "Stable" more stable.
Hi all,

Long time I was totally against supporting really stable development. But
over the time I have realised that some innovations in Cherokee that did
fix some bugs, actually introduced more for other parts. Since I know many
people on this list care for Cherokee and we all know what Alvaro is
working on in his spare time, it would be a good thing to start fixing
noticable, small things in Cherokee.

We have a great webserver, a great admin. And it doesn't really matter if
we are the fastest or not. It actually matters that people that try
Cherokee end up with the same problems, and the bugtracker is getting
overloaded. To make some points very clear:

1) The biggest issue in the "stable" branch is the fact that SSL and POST
support is problematic due to recent Google 'inventions'. With some
support of Google in the past (and some workarounds by myself) it is
possible to get a working Cherokee "stable" anyhow.

2) There are so many low hanging fruit bugs around that virtually anyone
could help fixing them or write tests for them. Tests help to
reproduce things, and prevent them from happening again in the future.

I know some people on IRC and on this list are actively fixing things in
Cherokee, they are not getting "incorporated" in the stable. This should
change, and can only change if the community starts to act.

From now on I would like to ask people to get involved, and commit to fix
one defect per week from the Google Bugtracker. It is not much, and can be
done, any bug counts.

<http://code.google.com/p/cherokee/issues/list?can=2&q=&sort=priority&colspec=ID%20Type%20Status%20Priority%20Milestone%20Owner%20Summary>

Speak out and tell people you are working on things. That includes
unreported bugs that you are taking care of, it doesn't really care about
what you want to address, it matters it is one bug less to care about. If
you are doing a good job in C, the server core is probably what you want
to look at. Python might be more your thing if you would like to improve
the admin.

Practice what you preach:

The main reason I cannot switch back to stable on all my
production machines is the SSL trouble. I would like to commit on the SSL
POST on stable. Google has posted a oneliner for eJabberd, I would like
to see the method its uses ported, opposed to my own workaround, which is
also a one liner, but not really the right way.

I hope some people join :-)

Stefan

P.S. If you can't code, but are extremely wealthy you could also help:
place a bounty on your favorite bug to be fixed. If you don't want to cash
your bounty, you could place it on another bug ;)