Mailing List Archive

Issue 1340 in cherokee: Cookies bigger than 4k: error 500
Owner: ----

New issue 1340 by r.for...@gmail.com: Cookies bigger than 4k: error 500
http://code.google.com/p/cherokee/issues/detail?id=1340

What steps will reproduce the problem?
1. go to a Cherokee powered website (www.cherokee-project.com)
2. create a cookieset bigger than 4k (with Firebug for example, put 2
cookies both with a string of 4000 letters)
3. refresh

The page should be loaded normally. On www.cherokee-project.com I get an
infinite load, on my server (v. 1.0.6) I get an error 500

Version 1.0.6, on an Amazon EC2 instance running this AMI
2.6.35.11-83.9.amzn1.x86_64

Nginx provides a configuration to handle this kind of issue, for more
details please follow this link:
http://blog.craz8.com/articles/2009/06/17/nginx-400-bad-request-errors-due-to-cookies-and-what-to-do-about-them

Re: Issue 1340 in cherokee: Cookies bigger than 4k: error 500 [ In reply to ]
Comment #1 on issue 1340 by r.for...@gmail.com: Cookies bigger than 4k:
error 500
http://code.google.com/p/cherokee/issues/detail?id=1340

Upgrading to version 1.2 changes the result to a 413 Request Entity too
large.
Is there a workaround for this problem? The request is a normal GET with
the big cookie as described before.

Re: Issue 1340 in cherokee: Cookies bigger than 4k: error 500 [ In reply to ]
Updates:
Owner: alobbs
Labels: Type-Enhancement Priority-Medium OpSys-All Component-Logic

Comment #2 on issue 1340 by alobbs: Cookies bigger than 4k: error 500
http://code.google.com/p/cherokee/issues/detail?id=1340

I'm afraid there isn't a configuration for it (yet).
You can change it in cherokee/macros.h (MAX_HEADER_LEN), but you'll have to
recompile the server.

Re: Issue 1340 in cherokee: Cookies bigger than 4k: error 500 [ In reply to ]
Comment #3 on issue 1340 by r.for...@gmail.com: Cookies bigger than 4k:
error 500
http://code.google.com/p/cherokee/issues/detail?id=1340

I managed to work around this issue on my server by upgrading Cherokee to
the 1.2 branch and by tuning the underling uWSGI demon setting the
--buffer-size parameter to an higher value.