Mailing List Archive

Issue 1210 in cherokee: 1.2.98 failing to write to access log after log rotation
Owner: ----

New issue 1210 by r.f.j.se...@googlemail.com: 1.2.98 failing to write to
access log after log rotation
http://code.google.com/p/cherokee/issues/detail?id=1210

What steps will reproduce the problem?
1. Update to 1.2.98
2. Wait for log rotation
3. Cherokee no longer writes to cherokee.access. (I'm unsure whether this
also affects cherokee.error.)

Cherokee should log to the new cherokee.access file, but file remains
zero-length even when Cherokee has continued to respond to page requests.

1.2.98 (PPA) on Ubuntu Server (4.3.3-5ubuntu4).

/etc/init.d/cherokee restart seems to fix this, but I don't know whether
it'll work permanently or only until the next log rotation.

Re: Issue 1210 in cherokee: 1.2.98 failing to write to access log after log rotation [ In reply to ]
Comment #1 on issue 1210 by alobbs: 1.2.98 failing to write to access log
after log rotation
http://code.google.com/p/cherokee/issues/detail?id=1210

How did you rotate the log file?

Re: Issue 1210 in cherokee: 1.2.98 failing to write to access log after log rotation [ In reply to ]
Comment #2 on issue 1210 by r.f.j.se...@googlemail.com: 1.2.98 failing to
write to access log after log rotation
http://code.google.com/p/cherokee/issues/detail?id=1210

Apparently with this Logrotate script (not written by me):
/etc/logrotate.d/cherokee

/var/log/cherokee/*.error /var/log/cherokee/*.access
/var/log/cherokee.access /var/log/cherokee.error {
rotate 7
weekly
compress
missingok
notifempty
postrotate
/usr/bin/killall -SIGUSR2 cherokee
endscript
}

Re: Issue 1210 in cherokee: 1.2.98 failing to write to access log after log rotation [ In reply to ]
Comment #3 on issue 1210 by lnu...@gmail.com: 1.2.98 failing to write to
access log after log rotation
http://code.google.com/p/cherokee/issues/detail?id=1210

What Ubuntu version do you have ?

Re: Issue 1210 in cherokee: 1.2.98 failing to write to access log after log rotation [ In reply to ]
Comment #4 on issue 1210 by r.f.j.se...@googlemail.com: 1.2.98 failing to
write to access log after log rotation
http://code.google.com/p/cherokee/issues/detail?id=1210

Ubuntu 10.04.2 LTS

Re: Issue 1210 in cherokee: 1.2.98 failing to write to access log after log rotation [ In reply to ]
Comment #5 on issue 1210 by lnu...@gmail.com: 1.2.98 failing to write to
access log after log rotation
http://code.google.com/p/cherokee/issues/detail?id=1210

Can you please check your pam version ? there's a known bug that may be
affecting you.

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/pam/+bug/790538

Re: Issue 1210 in cherokee: 1.2.98 failing to write to access log after log rotation [ In reply to ]
Comment #6 on issue 1210 by r.f.j.se...@googlemail.com: 1.2.98 failing to
write to access log after log rotation
http://code.google.com/p/cherokee/issues/detail?id=1210

apt-cache policy libpam-modules

libpam-modules:
Installed: 1.1.1-2ubuntu5
Candidate: 1.1.1-2ubuntu5.2

I see that a newer version of libpam-modules has appeared in the
repositories overnight; I haven't got it yet. I'm not seeing the symptoms
described in that bug.

Re: Issue 1210 in cherokee: 1.2.98 failing to write to access log after log rotation [ In reply to ]
Updates:
Owner: lnu...@gmail.com
Labels: Debian

Comment #7 on issue 1210 by alobbs: 1.2.98 failing to write to access log
after log rotation
http://code.google.com/p/cherokee/issues/detail?id=1210

The problem is the logrotate script, actually. Cherokee provides its own
way of rotating logs (with cherokee-tweak).

In case you wanted to do it with logrotate, the only option would be to
send a HUP instead a USR2 after the file is rotated. USR2 works only when
the server runs as root.

Re: Issue 1210 in cherokee: 1.2.98 failing to write to access log after log rotation [ In reply to ]
Comment #8 on issue 1210 by lnu...@gmail.com: 1.2.98 failing to write to
access log after log rotation
http://code.google.com/p/cherokee/issues/detail?id=1210

Will get fixed on the next release.

Re: Issue 1210 in cherokee: 1.2.98 failing to write to access log after log rotation [ In reply to ]
Comment #9 on issue 1210 by lpia...@gmail.com: 1.2.98 failing to write to
access log after log rotation
http://code.google.com/p/cherokee/issues/detail?id=1210

Still in ubuntu 12.04 LTS x64 in 1.2.101-1 package there is SIGUSR2 not
SIGHUP in:
/etc/logrotate.d/cherokee

PS: Is command /usr/bin/killall -SIGHUP cherokee graceful? Or is it hard
restart of the server? - I mean existing connections which are then

Re: Issue 1210 in cherokee: 1.2.98 failing to write to access log after log rotation [ In reply to ]
Comment #10 on issue 1210 by lpia...@gmail.com: 1.2.98 failing to write to
access log after log rotation
http://code.google.com/p/cherokee/issues/detail?id=1210

Still in ubuntu 12.04 LTS x64 in 1.2.101-1 package there is SIGUSR2 not
SIGHUP in:
/etc/logrotate.d/cherokee

PS: Is command /usr/bin/killall -SIGHUP cherokee graceful? Or is it hard
restart of the server? - I mean existing connections which are there. Are
they dropped?