Mailing List Archive

Issue 1119 in cherokee: MP4 / h.264 video files will not load in Google Chrome
Owner: ----

New issue 1119 by ke...@kiloproductions.net: MP4 / h.264 video files will
not load in Google Chrome
http://code.google.com/p/cherokee/issues/detail?id=1119

What steps will reproduce the problem?

1. Upload static video file in mp4 format to server.
2. Try to load URL from Chrome.
3. Video should not load. Should show an empty video player.

Chrome should play the video inside the built in HTML5 video player.
The video will not load inside Chrome (even though Chrome currently
supports h.263 codec). Video will load in every other browser, and the
video is playable from other sources. But serving it form Cherokee will
result in the video not being playable.
It is suspected being a header problem (possibly ETag or some other header
value not wrapped in double-quotes).

Confirmed on Cherokee 1.0.15 on Ubuntu 10.10
Using Google Chrome 8.0.552.237 on Mac OS X 10.6.6

Tested with a working video: http://video-js.zencoder.com/oceans-clip.mp4
Independently verified by several people.
Turning on video streaming, forbidding compression does not have an effect.

Re: Issue 1119 in cherokee: MP4 / h.264 video files will not load in Google Chrome [ In reply to ]
Comment #1 on issue 1119 by stephenm...@gmail.com: MP4 / h.264 video files
will not load in Google Chrome
http://code.google.com/p/cherokee/issues/detail?id=1119

It seems to be a problem in Safari too. The mac becomes unresponsive. Also
the stock android browser says it is an invalid stream. Only firefox,
konqueror, and vlc will play these files (As far as I have tested)

Re: Issue 1119 in cherokee: MP4 / h.264 video files will not load in Google Chrome [ In reply to ]
Comment #2 on issue 1119 by ke...@kiloproductions.net: MP4 / h.264 video
files will not load in Google Chrome
http://code.google.com/p/cherokee/issues/detail?id=1119

I haven't had the same issue with Safari, that I know of. Firefox shouldn't
natively play the file because it doesn't have the codec support.

Re: Issue 1119 in cherokee: MP4 / h.264 video files will not load in Google Chrome [ In reply to ]
Comment #3 on issue 1119 by doctorm...@gmail.com: MP4 / h.264 video files
will not load in Google Chrome
http://code.google.com/p/cherokee/issues/detail?id=1119

Sorry, my bad. I had a badly encoded testing file (MP4). Also I had the
whole three formats thing. Whops. Chorome does not even play webm :(
(unless that is encoded in the wrong way)

Re: Issue 1119 in cherokee: MP4 / h.264 video files will not load in Google Chrome [ In reply to ]
Comment #4 on issue 1119 by ke...@kiloproductions.net: MP4 / h.264 video
files will not load in Google Chrome
http://code.google.com/p/cherokee/issues/detail?id=1119

This issue is still affecting my server as of Cherokee v1.2.2
Anyone have any further insight on this issue? It's uber annoying.

Attachments:
Screen shot 2011-05-19 at 1.51.59 PM.png 73.2 KB
Screen shot 2011-05-19 at 1.52.45 PM.png 56.2 KB

Re: Issue 1119 in cherokee: MP4 / h.264 video files will not load in Google Chrome [ In reply to ]
Comment #5 on issue 1119 by pyalot: MP4 / h.264 video files will not load
in Google Chrome
http://code.google.com/p/cherokee/issues/detail?id=1119

Have exactly the same problem. Cherokee does not serve video right, no
streaming plugin here.

Re: Issue 1119 in cherokee: MP4 / h.264 video files will not load in Google Chrome [ In reply to ]
Comment #6 on issue 1119 by ishak...@contus.in: MP4 / h.264 video files
will not load in Google Chrome
http://code.google.com/p/cherokee/issues/detail?id=1119

I am also have this problem but i never give up myself if i found any
solution means I m surelly post here...Ishak

Re: Issue 1119 in cherokee: MP4 / h.264 video files will not load in Google Chrome [ In reply to ]
Comment #7 on issue 1119 by kheathe...@gmail.com: MP4 / h.264 video files
will not load in Google Chrome
http://code.google.com/p/cherokee/issues/detail?id=1119

I have same issue. I made my mp4 video from ffmpeg libx264 and the video is
shown as ffh264 video codec in mplayer. But the video will not load up in
chrome.

Re: Issue 1119 in cherokee: MP4 / h.264 video files will not load in Google Chrome [ In reply to ]
Comment #8 on issue 1119 by kerkq...@gmail.com: MP4 / h.264 video files
will not load in Google Chrome
http://code.google.com/p/cherokee/issues/detail?id=1119

Can I know what's the correct format in video tag? if mp4 google chrome
can't play the converted mp4 video, but in safari the video plays. please
help me. i needed this in my project. >.<

Re: Issue 1119 in cherokee: MP4 / h.264 video files will not load in Google Chrome [ In reply to ]
Comment #9 on issue 1119 by ste...@konink.de: MP4 / h.264 video files will
not load in Google Chrome
http://code.google.com/p/cherokee/issues/detail?id=1119

The correct codec depends on the support by your browser. Sadly there is no
one codec that is played by all. This is even a different problem from
the 'format' that you mention.