2. Another concern is how the virtual hosts are served by Catalyst. Can
there be multiple instances of Catalyst, or do I have to do some fancy
footwork to handle virtual hosts with one instance.

3. I see the Catalyst book is several years old. Is it still reasonably
current for reference?

Thank you for your assistance and patience.

Best regards,

-Tom
Re: Feasibility questions ref transition to Catalyst [ In reply to ]
Hi Tom,

On Sun, 2015-12-27 at 06:29 -0600, Tom Browder wrote:
> The host websites are hand-written using some Perl 5 CGI but are
> mostly static. [...]
>
> I am considering a move to Catalyst [...]

Why? If they're static sites, it would make sense to serve them as
static HTML.

> 1. Is possible to move to Catalyst incrementally? In other words,
> can I start deploying Catalyst using at least some of my existing
> static code?

You can re-use your static HTML documents as templates and serve them
through Catalyst, but afaics there's not much point unless you're going
to be making them dynamic.

> 2. Another concern is how the virtual hosts are served by Catalyst.
> Can there be multiple instances of Catalyst, or do I have to do some
> fancy footwork to handle virtual hosts with one instance.

You can definitely run multiple Catalyst applications (or multiple
copies of the same Catalyst application) on a single server using
fastcgi - I have 20 or so ShinyCMS installs on my server. I haven't
tried the other methods.

Regards,
Denny

Re: Feasibility questions ref transition to Catalyst [ In reply to ]
Thanks, Denny!

Best,

-Tom
Re: Feasibility questions ref transition to Catalyst [ In reply to ]
1. Is possible to move to Catalyst incrementally? In other words, can I
start deploying Catalyst using at least some of my existing static code?

---> I'm new to Catalyst, and have found, although as a framework, it sets
up a structure in terms of folders and where scripts are, I can pretty much
copy and paste old code into a Catalyst Controller, and it usually works.
Basically, everything is still Perl 5. For example, I haven't put anything
in the Model or View folders. I'm still just reading in html templates,
doing a pattern-matched-based find-and-replace to throw in the dynamic data,
and then printing to the screen/browser, rather than using any of the
template toolkit stuff that's encouraged. From this, I get the impression,
you can use what you want from Catalyst, and ignore what you don't want to
use, ... maybe it's not best practice, but it certainly appears possible,
and thus may be a way of moving over incrementally.

2. Another concern is how the virtual hosts are served by Catalyst. Can
there be multiple instances of Catalyst, or do I have to do some fancy
footwork to handle virtual hosts with one instance.

---> As a n00b, forgive me for not being sure what you mean by virtual
hosts. I've managed to get everything working on a VPS from a web hosting
company. So in that sense, it all works on shared hosting. I've also been
able to get one Catalyst app running at two URLs. I did have to fiddle with
some Virtual Host stuff for that, - all done at the time I setup FastCGI and
Plack and all of that gubbins, I've completely forgotten about after I got
it working, ^_^. All running on Apache 2 by the way, if that's relevant to
you, =).

3. I see the Catalyst book is several years old. Is it still reasonably
current for reference?

---> I had the book for ages and hoped to learn Catalyst from it, yet found
I never got round to learning from it. I found it much easier following the
stuff at www.catalystframework.org/calendar/ where you can access stuff by
year. Although I've just noticed 2015 isn't there, O_o...!? Anyway - I'd say
the book is your basic foundation, and the advent calendars bring you
up-to-date. However, I'd also say the book waffles on and on before getting
to the point, whereas the online articles are short and to the point with
example code and cool stuff to try, =). The book has stuff to try as you go
too, I just wish it was written as succinctly as Perl in Two Hours:
http://qntm.org/files/perl/perl.html

Thank you for your assistance and patience.

---> As a N00b, I don't give the best advice. Just sharing some thoughts.

---> Yours,
---> Andrew.

Best regards,
-Tom

Re: Feasibility questions ref transition to Catalyst [ In reply to ]
On Wed, Feb 17, 2016 at 10:03 AM, Andrew
<catalystgroup@unitedgames.co.uk> wrote:

> 1. Is possible to move to Catalyst incrementally? In other words, can I
> start deploying Catalyst using at least some of my existing static code?
>
> ---> I'm new to Catalyst, and have found, although as a framework, it sets
> up a structure in terms of folders and where scripts are, I can pretty much

Good information, Andrew--thanks!

> ---> As a n00b, forgive me for not being sure what you mean by virtual
> hosts. I've managed to get everything working on a VPS from a web hosting

What I meant was I run multiple hosts (known as virtual hosts) on a
single instance of Apache on a single server. Your operation on a
shared host is similar, so your answer was helpful.

Thanks so much.

Best,

-Tom

Re: Feasibility questions ref transition to Catalyst [ In reply to ]
Just discovered something else that's pretty cool.

When setting up FastCGI in Apache,
you have something like:

<IfModule mod_fastcgi.c>
FastCgiExternalServer
/home/username/public_html/myapp/script/myapp_fastcgi.pl -host
www.mydomain.com:55900
Alias / /home/username/public_html/myapp/script/myapp_fastcgi.pl/
</IfModule>

...in your virtual host configuation.
(Because I have CPanel on my Apache server, I'm not editing the httpd.conf
file directly. Rather the httpd.conf file links to some include files, so I
just edit the include files.)

I realised the Alias bit, was making any URL from the domain name, go to the
Catalyst Web App.
However.... I had a few old CGIs I wanted to run.
I played about a bit, trying to copy and paste the CGI code into a new
Catalyst Controller... but I thought: "This is too much work".

The CGIs I wanted to run were in a directory - let's pretend the directory
was literally called "directory".
I added a new Alias line to this part of the Apache configuration:

<IfModule mod_fastcgi.c>
FastCgiExternalServer
/home/username/public_html/myapp/script/myapp_fastcgi.pl -host
www.mydomain.com:55900
Alias /directory /home/username/public_html/directory
Alias / /home/username/public_html/myapp/script/myapp_fastcgi.pl/
</IfModule>

.....Now...if the url is www.mydomain.com/directory it goes to the directory
folder in my public_html folder, and serves it just as apache always did,
including running the index.pl file I had there - a cgi perl script no less!
Everything else starting with www.mydomain.com gets sent to my new Catalyst
Web App.

In short - you can setup apache aliases, to still run some CGIs in specific
places, while all other URLs run your new Catalyst Web App, =).

That means you can have old CGI scripts and your new Catalyst web app,
running at the same domain name.
As long as there's no conflict of names. I.e. any Catalyst subroutine
designed to be triggered by the 'directory' path, won't get triggered, as
you've redirected all such requests to your directory folder instead.

I simply added a one line alias to achieve this. If there are better ways to
run your old CGIs on the same server as your new Catalyst app, I'm happy to
hear suggestions, =).

One idea that popped into my head was to maybe setup a subdomain that isn't
setup with fastcgi, and have all your old CGIs at the sub domain, running as
they normally would, on what's a normal apache subdomain. And then have your
Catalyst web app running at the normal web domain.
So if your CGIs were part of your old website,
you could have your new catalyst website at http://www.mydomain.com and your
old cgi website at http://old.mydomain.com
Then you wouldn't have the conflict of names problem.
http://www.mydomain.com/directory
and
http://old.mydomain.com/directory
...could both give different responses.

Some food for thought, =).

Yours,
Andrew.

Re: Feasibility questions ref transition to Catalyst [ In reply to ]
Uh, i guess in some old wiki is that already mentioned. We use this for our
static content:

Alias /static/ /path/to/static/directory
Alias / /path/to/myapp_fastcgi.pl/

And in our app we use Static::Simple with the same directory. So while
developing only with the buildin server all works fine and later apache
serves the static content and all works fine :)

Mit freundlichen Grüßen
Felix Ostmann

QE GmbH & Co. KG
Martinistraße 3
49080 Osnabrück
Deutschland

Tel.: +49 (0) 541 / 40666 11
Fax: +49 (0) 541 / 40666 22
Email: info@qe.de
Web: www.qe.de

Unsere Geschäftszeiten:
Montag bis Freitag von 8 bis 16 Uhr

Firmensitz: Osnabrück
AG Osnabrück - HRA 200252
Steuer-Nr.: 66/204/54104
Ust-IdNr.: DE814737310

Komplementärin:
QE24 GmbH
AG Osnabrück - HRB 200359
Geschäftsführer: Ansas Meyer

Die in dieser Email enthaltenen Informationen sind vertraulich
zu behandeln und ausschließlich für den Adressaten bestimmt.
Jegliche Veröffentlichung, Verteilung oder sonstige in diesem
Zusammenhang stehende Handlung wird ausdrücklich untersagt.

Re: Feasibility questions ref transition to Catalyst [ In reply to ]
Cool, =D.

Thanks for that.

Re: Feasibility questions ref transition to Catalyst [ In reply to ]
I know you folks are talking about Apache, but I've used this for nginx for
static content if it helps anyone (I think I'm an nginx convert now mainly
because, it's extremely simple for a relative Linux newbie like me):

location /robots.txt {
alias /path/to/robots.txt;
expires 30d;
}

Re: Feasibility questions ref transition to Catalyst [ In reply to ]
I heard nginx is what I should be using,
yet having an apache server makes it difficult to setup!?

I gather if I ever ditch my CentOS & Apache server for Amazon's cloud hosting, it's easy enough to get Ubuntu and Nginx and stuff... (I'm speaking vaguely, as I have little idea what I'm talking about, ^_^. I'm a newbie to Catalyst, and all of this...which is why I was pleasantly surprised to find FastCGI and Plack allowed me to get a Catalyst web app going on my existing Apache server relatively easily).

Re: Feasibility questions ref transition to Catalyst [ In reply to ]
I've just seen something similar on page 115 of The Definitive Guide to Catalyst.
I will look into this further...

'Cos atm, I've just got one directory working, but I pretty much want the entirety of public_html (all its files and subfolders, etc) back up as my static content, and I wonder if this is a way to do it...?

Re: Feasibility questions ref transition to Catalyst [ In reply to ]
In the end, although it's off-topic from Catalyst,
I found what I was really after in apache was:

FallbackResource /path/to/catalystapp_fastcgi.pl/

...instead of the Alias to my catalyst app.

As in:
<IfModule mod_fastcgi.c>
FastCgiExternalServer /home/username/public_html/myapp/script/myapp_fastcgi.pl -host www.mydomain.com:56000
FallbackResource /myapp/script/myapp_fastcgi.pl/
</IfModule>

That would mean it would try and see if a file or directory of the same name as that being requested existed, and only if there was no such file or directory, would it pass the request on to my app.
I.e. all existing cgis and static content are served as they ever were, and any other requests gets dealt with by the catalyst app.

Things got complicated when the path and file weren't in the public_html folder however - as:
FallbackResource /somethinggoeshere
essentially translates to www.mydomain.com/somethinggoeshere
...so it becomes impossible to actually specify a folder outside of the public html directory.
(Unless because I'm new to apache, I'm missing something?)

When my Catalyst app wasn't in public_html, and was instead at /home/username/myapp/script/myapp_fastcgi.pl
I used:
<IfModule mod_fastcgi.c>
FastCgiExternalServer /home/username/public_html/myapp_fastcgi.pl -host www.mydomain.com:56000
FallbackResource /myapp_fastcgi.pl/
</IfModule>
I get away with the first line, because FastCgiExternalServer doesn't actually need the file mentioned to exist - only the path needs to be real.
However, the FallbackResource bit didn't actually work, until I put a file called myapp_fastcgi.pl in the public_html directory.
It didn't have to have anything in it - I used a blank text file, and renamed it.
Bit annoying though. Don't know if I'm missing something, and there's a way of feeding a path to FallbackResource that isn't public html.

Re: Feasibility questions ref transition to Catalyst [ In reply to ]
On 27 December 2015 at 12:29, Tom Browder <tom.browder@gmail.com> wrote:
> I have several virtual hosts running under Apache 2.4 on my private Debian 7
> 64-bit server. The host websites are hand-written using some Perl 5 CGI but
> are mostly static. I am currently not using mod_perl or fast CGI. All but
> one of my sites use strict https.
>
> I am considering a move to Catalyst but would like to know:
> [ .. ]
> 2. Another concern is how the virtual hosts are served by Catalyst. Can
> there be multiple instances of Catalyst, or do I have to do some fancy
> footwork to handle virtual hosts with one instance.

Late response, but this scenario is why I wrote
https://metacpan.org/release/Catalyst-TraitFor-Component-ConfigPerSite
- which is for handling concern 2 - allows one instance of that
catalyst app to run multiple sites, although you'll need to extend it
for any plugins, views or modules beyond the usual DBIC/TT standard
setup.

A.

--
Aaron J Trevena, BSc Hons