Mailing List Archive

Rackspace Ubuntu 14.04
Hi,

I've just spun up a Rackspace server with Ubuntu 14.04 and tried to install
Catalyst from CPAN.

If the print out means what it seems to mean, then Catalyst will no longer
install cleanly from CPAN on any version prior to 5.20.

It's saying that there is a dependency on Tie::StdHash and that
Tie::StdHash won't install without force because the latest version of the
module is part of perl-5.20.2.

It won't effect me because I'll just force it or download an older version
of the module.

All the same, it seems a bit poor.

Is it deliberate?

Regards

Duncan

--
The information contained in this message is for the intended addressee
only and may contain confidential and/or privileged information. If you are

Registered in England 3098391 V.A.T. Registered No. 667463890
Re: Rackspace Ubuntu 14.04 [ In reply to ]
Not to answer your actual question, but...

Have you also thought using Perlbrew http://perlbrew.pl

As regular user, you can install any version of Perl locally (to your
home dir), plus all the modules via cpanm, and keep everything
self-contained for a particular user.

It's made our deployments a breeze, rather than dealing with the
system-wide perl, etc.

(There's also local::lib tho I've not delved into that myself).

Hope it helps a little.

Rob

Re: Rackspace Ubuntu 14.04 [ In reply to ]
Hi,

We don't use perlbrew on production, but I've used it in other areas
without a problem. As far as I know it's very highly regarded.

I've used local::lib successfully for development work ie Temporarily
pointing to some different modules.

I spent quite a lot of time at the beginning of this year trying to set it
up so that we could use it seriously. I wanted to be able to do a twice
yearly update from CPAN of all our modules into a seperate directory
structure so that it would be easy to revert if the updated tree turned out
to contain a bug.

local::lib plays nicely with cpan but not with cpanplus. The default way
for a Catalyst app to maintain it's dependencies is to maintain
Makefile.PL. When you run that it uses cpanplus. I struggled with it for
quite a while and gave up.

All the best.

Re: Rackspace Ubuntu 14.04 [ In reply to ]
****! When I ran "force install Tie::StdHash" it downloaded
perl-5.20.2.tar.gz and started to install it.

I killed that pretty quicky.

There is a serious problem here.

Re: Rackspace Ubuntu 14.04 [ In reply to ]
Interesting, we don't use local::lib, just perlbrew, both dev and
production, and keep the whole perlbrew dir in svn, works great.

Will let the catalyst devs answer the actual/original question...

Re: Rackspace Ubuntu 14.04 [ In reply to ]
I'd love to see a full install attempt.  I was getting tests for Perl down to 5.8.8 before we release so I am not aware of a hard dependency on Tie::StdHash.
However I don't use cpanplus, and I write my own makefile.pl, not the one that Catalyst::Devel writes.  Its possible that something is going on there.  If someone can reproduce and send me an install trace I will review.
The intention for Catalyst is to run on the oldest Perl possible.  However I am finding particularly with the unicode stuff that getting a stable setup lower than 5.14 is a bit hard.  I do use 5.10.1 at work and we have it running there without trouble FWIW
John

Re: Rackspace Ubuntu 14.04 [ In reply to ]
Just to add to Robert's idea.

We use perlbrew and Carton for our catalyst environments
We deploy via RPMs, but each RPM contains a perlprew environment
and a local lib dir managed by Carton.

On Wed, May 13, 2015 at 06:26:40PM +0100, Robert Brown wrote:
> Not to answer your actual question, but...
>
> Have you also thought using Perlbrew http://perlbrew.pl
>
> As regular user, you can install any version of Perl locally (to
> your home dir), plus all the modules via cpanm, and keep
> everything self-contained for a particular user.
>
> It's made our deployments a breeze, rather than dealing with the
> system-wide perl, etc.
>
> (There's also local::lib tho I've not delved into that myself).
>
> Hope it helps a little.
>
> Rob
>

> On 13/05/15 18:16, Duncan Garland wrote:
> >Hi,
> >
> >I've just spun up a Rackspace server with Ubuntu 14.04 and
> >tried to install Catalyst from CPAN.
> >
> >If the print out means what it seems to mean, then Catalyst
> >will no longer install cleanly from CPAN on any version prior
> >to 5.20.
> >
> >It's saying that there is a dependency on Tie::StdHash and
> >that Tie::StdHash won't install without force because the
> >latest version of the module is part of perl-5.20.2.
> >
> >It won't effect me because I'll just force it or download an
> >older version of the module.
> >
> >All the same, it seems a bit poor.
> >
> >Is it deliberate?
> >
> >Regards
> >
> >Duncan
> >

> >The information contained in this message is for the intended
> >addressee only and may contain confidential and/or privileged
> >information. If you are not the intended addressee, please
> >distribute this message or disclose its contents to anyone.
> >Any views or opinions expressed in this message are those of
> >the author and do not necessarily represent those of
> >Motortrak Limited or of any of its associated companies. No
> >reliance may be placed on this message without written
> >confirmation from an authorised representative of the
> >company.
> >
> >Registered in England 3098391 V.A.T. Registered No. 667463890

James R. Leu
jleu@mindspring.com

Re: Rackspace Ubuntu 14.04 [ In reply to ]
One of my previous employers deployed with RPMs.

And I never understood why.

It's a good question for the community here, what's your deployment
strategy, and why is it so?

What would you change if you're not the decision -maker.

Re: Rackspace Ubuntu 14.04 [ In reply to ]
As an FYI,

Since I'm on a new project anyway, we've been able to pick up the latest
version of Perl, and a snapshot of those libs and run with it.

Our main product has been going 3 years, with no issues.

Easy to try out a new Perl and/or modules

Re: Rackspace Ubuntu 14.04 [ In reply to ]
Excellent idea Robert. I've been doing it this way
for so long, it would be nice to take fresh view at
how others are doing it.

For us RPM add two benifits:
- It allows us to validate that files have not changed from
the originial reployed version.

- I can give our Ops team a RPM and have them schedule/handle
deployment

I can see doing something similar in a docker environment
but I have had not had time to vett that idea.

Re: Rackspace Ubuntu 14.04 [ In reply to ]
On Thu, May 14, 2015 at 7:08 AM, Robert Brown <rob@intelcompute.com> wrote:

> One of my previous employers deployed with RPMs.
>
> And I never understood why.

RPMs work for us at the moment but that's because it's what our sysadmin
likes. In previous jobs I've had a system wide perl compiled into
/opt/perl. Haven't used the system perl for years, disk space is cheap and
the system perl is for system tasks.
Re: Rackspace Ubuntu 14.04 [ In reply to ]
Maybe I'm benefiting from a platform of only 40 servers, tho I'm not
sure what our limits would be.

For us they're simple (virtual) web servers.

If one plays up, drop it, rebuild, and away we go, I kinda got that from
Yahoo! Don't worry about what went wrong, just rebuild and carry on.

This is all a brand new (2 years old) Catalyst env, so yes, I've had
some benefits.

Our ~/perl5 is in svn too, so live and dev boxes should always carry the
same code.

Would you deploy anything without ensuring the perl5 is also fully
up-to-date first? That's our first check with our own deployment script?

We're only a team of 3, so all dev's are also dev-ops so to speak.

Re: Rackspace Ubuntu 14.04 [ In reply to ]
I use Pinto to maintain a per-project repository of dependencies (which is
tracked under svn) and install from there into a local::lib.

Deployment is two steps - building the repos in a staging area (via
Makefile.PL and cpanm) and then rsyncing the staging code to the production
location. Works well where there is a single server per deployment.

I previously used Carton but found that Pinto manages dependencies better
and has been generally easier to use.

Re: Rackspace Ubuntu 14.04 [ In reply to ]
Hi Duncan,
wow thats a lot of errors... this is system Perl now or a local lib, I got lost a bit in the thread above.

On Thursday, May 14, 2015 4:47 AM, Duncan Garland <duncan.garland@motortrak.com> wrote:

Hi John,

I didn't save all the terminal output, but here's what I have got from the second attempt.

Regards

Duncan

Re: Rackspace Ubuntu 14.04 [ In reply to ]
Hi John,

It's system Perl. Logged in a root, logged into cpan, typed "install
Catalyst".

It's a clean Rackspace server running Ubuntu 14.04. I created it yesterday
afternoon because I wanted to prototype something.

Catalyst installs correctly from the rpms ( apt-get install
libcatalyst-perl, apt-get install libcatalyst-devel-perl) but the
dependencies aren't being handled correctly when installing from CPAN.

Regards

Duncan

Re: Rackspace Ubuntu 14.04 [ In reply to ]
Hi John,

I've been looking at this some more and I'm not sure if the server is set
up correctly.

These problems may not occur on a properly configured server.

I'll let you know when I've got more information.

Regards

Duncan