Mailing List Archive

Google Summer of Code projects
Hello list,

I'm considering on doing this years Google Summer of Code and would
prefer to do something with Perl.

A little about myself:

I'm a 24 years old first years Computer Science student. I've worked
full time for a little over 4 years for what was mainly a PHP shop, but
managed to get some Perl in there as well. The last 3 years I worked
there I was running the show alone. My colleague had left for a career
change and he never got replaced.

In my time there I've done a few things with Perl. Mainly some server
scripts but also a small Catalyst webservice and a small but useful Wx
Widgets project (it scans a PDF, strips invoices and mails them to the
belonging customer).

I also maintain a couple of CPAN modules (PAUSE handle is CKRAS). I've
done also done a mid-sized project in Catalyst called Maximus
(http://maximus.htbaa.com) which is a CPAN kind of toolkit for BlitzMax.

Going through the list of projects on
http://wiki.enlightenedperl.org/gsoc2012/ideas one thing that caught my
attention was this:
> Refactor how configuration loading is done. Currently it requires the
> full application to be loaded, which makes it impossible to use the
> normal configuration tools in, for example, scripts that are supposed
> to spin up an application.
It's actually something I've run in against with Maximus and other work
related Catalyst stuff. I'm aware that last years GSoC had a
Bread::Board integration project for Catalyst. How did this end up?

I might be interested in picking this one up for this years GSoC. But
would also like to know if there are other projects available.

--
Christiaan Kras
http://blog.htbaa.com
Re: Google Summer of Code projects [ In reply to ]
Dear Christiaan,

Awesome, I know we are prepping something but I am not currently involved in GSoC stuff yet.  I think there's a website but I will also try to find out if there is an 'in charge' person to speak with.

Johnn

>________________________________

Christiaan Kras
http://blog.htbaa.com

Re: Google Summer of Code projects [ In reply to ]
On Mon, Feb 27, 2012 at 07:45:03AM -0800, John Napiorkowski wrote:
> Dear Christiaan,
>
> Awesome, I know we are prepping something but I am not currently
> involved in GSoC stuff yet.  I think there's a website but I will also
> try to find out if there is an 'in charge' person to speak with.

Christiaan has already been on the #soc-help channel and expressed an
interest in working with Catalyst for GSoC, so that's why we sent him
here :-)

We have found that in general GSoC is a much better expereince for both
the student and the project if the student gets involved with the
community as early as possible. That way everyone has a better idea of
what they are letting themselves into. Of course, the programme hasn't
even started yet, but it's never too early :)

So consider this also as a call to check what's on
http://wiki.enlightenedperl.org/gsoc2012/ideas and to update and add to
it if possible. Also, if anyone would like to mentor, we'll shortly be
calling for volunteers. [ John's "yet" is noted :-) ]

Paul Johnson - paul@pjcj.net
http://www.pjcj.net