sites of the various operating systems isn't particularly useful (i.e. I
suspect anyone actually looking at the site already has an inkling where to
find info on OS X).

I eventually found
http://dev.catalystframework.org/wiki/installingcatalyst- if this is
in any way "official" it could use the juice from being linked
to.

Paul
Re: Installing Catalyst & friends on OS X? [ In reply to ]
On 2 Jun 2009, at 20:04, Paul Makepeace wrote:

> I read a mail from '08 about Catalyst on OS X and there was enough
> in there to suggest times might've changed things. Things like
> recommendations on using system perl v. building 5.10, etc.
>
> What's the current recommended environment & way of installing it?
> Is there some documentation?

I'm running against the system perl with a local::lib on my home mac
here.

Works fine and that's probably easiest.

I've also got a 5.10.0 and a bleadperl and a couple of others kicking
around, but I mostly use system perl for development just cause I'm
lazy and it was easy. (Wiki note may be appropriate re Mac::Carbon
and leopard however, I'm still on Tiger)

Note that both fink and macports seem to be quite enthusiastic about
building a perl and shoving it at the front of your PATH, which will
ruin your day.

Other than that, it should 'just work'.

Cheers
t0m

Re: Installing Catalyst & friends on OS X? [ In reply to ]
On Wed, Jun 3, 2009 at 5:29 AM, Tomas Doran <bobtfish@bobtfish.net> wrote:

> On 2 Jun 2009, at 20:04, Paul Makepeace wrote:
>
> I read a mail from '08 about Catalyst on OS X and there was enough in
>> there to suggest times might've changed things. Things like recommendations
>> on using system perl v. building 5.10, etc.
>>
>> What's the current recommended environment & way of installing it? Is
>> there some documentation?
>>

> I'm running against the system perl with a local::lib on my home mac here.
>
> Works fine and that's probably easiest.
>
> I've also got a 5.10.0 and a bleadperl and a couple of others kicking
> around, but I mostly use system perl for development just cause I'm lazy and
> it was easy. (Wiki note may be appropriate re Mac::Carbon and leopard
> however, I'm still on Tiger)
>
> Note that both fink and macports seem to be quite enthusiastic about
> building a perl and shoving it at the front of your PATH, which will ruin
> your day.
>
> Other than that, it should 'just work'.
>
> Cheers
> t0m

Agreed, you probably don't need to build your own Perl binary, but generally
speaking you shouldn't really touch your system Perl at all. Apple released
a software update earlier this year that broke certain XS modules for people
who had updated core modules via CPAN, which could've been easily avoided
with judicious use of local::lib:

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?messageID=9022650