Mailing List Archive

Fwd: [Bricolage-General] Trying to run Bricolage as a minor component of our web services
Vicki,

I use the same Apache binary and launch it twice with two .conf files,
once with the httpd.conf we're used to, and once with the conf files
created by the bric install. If you have mod_perl in your httpd you
should be able to separate and manage your services on one box to your
liking.

Quick thoughts:

1. Upon install I use the 'm' multi option. This way all the
bricolage Perl goodies will be where I can keep an eye on them, and the
bric_apachectl, etc are all where I need them for each install. (And
they'll be that much further away from the apachectl you might be
using). This way I can always back out of any future bricolage
install.

2. I run bric with no virtual host (there are plenty of threads on this
in the Archives), but I make the port number roughly mirror the bric
version. http://fake.com:8132/ http://fake.com:8146/ etc...

3. Bric under heavy use can gobble up resources in a server, so be
careful how much you pile on to one box. I've found that I can run
quite a few static sites and two or three bric installs on a dual PIII
with a GB of RAM and hardware RAID. The problems only come when you
try to do global republishing via SOAP, but recently steps have been
taken to minimize the impact of those operations on the whole box.

4. The only part of the bricolage experience that has two left feet is
not really Bric's fault. But should you decide to upgrade to the
1.5.x series, you'll need to update HTML::Mason. If you are not
running any other perl apps that need Mason, you're fine. If you do
and decide you want to go back to 1.4.6, then you have to downgrade
Mason yourself, which is a minor but important thing.

Good luck!