Mailing List Archive

[Bricolage-General] Creating a Web Server
Hello.

I'm looking at Bricolage as a candidate for generating content for our
intranet in one department. And I have a few (well actually, an almost
infinite list) of questions. Please excuse my profound ignorance of how
Bricolage works.

Our environment is primarily NT with IIS 5 as our servers, although we have
apache running on one machine. Our users are all Windows NT 4 using IE 5.5.

Is there any documentation on creating a web server? In particular, what
does Bricolage expect for document root. On an IIS server will it expect to
use wwwroot, does it want a virtual directory or will it publish to a
subdirectory of wwwroot?

Also, does it use ftp to move files, or can it use network shares.

Thanks

gh

George Harrison
Web Coordinator
Information Technology Branch
Manitoba Family Services

e-mail: gharrison@gov.mb.ca
phone: 204.945.2378
fax: 204.945.1697

Re: [Bricolage-General] Creating a Web Server [ In reply to ]
On Wednesday, December 18, 2002, at 08:55 AM, Harrison, George (FSH)
wrote:

> Is there any documentation on creating a web server? In particular,
> what
> does Bricolage expect for document root. On an IIS server will it
> expect to
> use wwwroot, does it want a virtual directory or will it publish to a
> subdirectory of wwwroot?

Bricolage doesn't care where you put it. It will, however, need (at
minimum) a virtual host name to use. You set the root using the
MASON_COMP_ROOT directive in bricolage.conf. If you use the installer
however (which I highly recommend that you do), it will take care of
this for you.

> Also, does it use ftp to move files, or can it use network shares.

It can use FTP, file system copies (including to network shares) or
SFTP.

HTH,

David

--
David Wheeler AIM: dwTheory
david@wheeler.net ICQ: 15726394

Re: [Bricolage-General] Creating a Web Server [ In reply to ]
Harrison, George (FSH) wrote:
> Our environment is primarily NT with IIS 5 as our servers, although we have
> apache running on one machine. Our users are all Windows NT 4 using IE 5.5.

I'm not sure how well it runs on Windows. There are others
on the list who have more experience doing that, but in
short it should be possible, although it might also be good
to have it on a BSD or Linux machine in the corner
somewhere.

It uses a dedicated instance of Apache with mod-perl
compiled in.

> Is there any documentation on creating a web server? In particular, what
> does Bricolage expect for document root. On an IIS server will it expect to
> use wwwroot, does it want a virtual directory or will it publish to a
> subdirectory of wwwroot?

Regardless of the platform your actual Bricolage install is
running on you should be able to use it to create a flat
website on your IIS platform with no problem at all,
including any asp stuff that you have to do.

> Also, does it use ftp to move files, or can it use network shares.

Yes, and yes.

No problem either way. If you use network shares you can
just use the filesystem mover, otherwise set up an ftp
server on your production webserver for bricolage to send
it's files to.

Hope that helps, and I hope somebody else gets back to you
with more info about running on Windows.

Re: [Bricolage-General] Creating a Web Server [ In reply to ]
On Wednesday, December 18, 2002, at 09:39 AM, Mark Jaroski wrote:

>> Our environment is primarily NT with IIS 5 as our servers, although
>> we have
>> apache running on one machine. Our users are all Windows NT 4 using
>> IE 5.5.
>
> I'm not sure how well it runs on Windows. There are others
> on the list who have more experience doing that, but in
> short it should be possible, although it might also be good
> to have it on a BSD or Linux machine in the corner
> somewhere.
>
> It uses a dedicated instance of Apache with mod-perl
> compiled in.

It wasn't clear to me that you were planning to run Bricolage on
Windows. If that's the case, then know this:

1. It should work.
2. No one, to my knowledge, has done it yet.
3. If you're going to run the PostgreSQL database on Windows,
you'll need to use Cygwin.
4. Apache 1.3 and PostgreSQL are considered experimental on Windows.
5. You'll likely get up and running much more quickly on a *nix box.

HTH,

David

Re: [Bricolage-General] Creating a Web Server [ In reply to ]
On Wed, 18 Dec 2002, David Wheeler wrote:

> It wasn't clear to me that you were planning to run Bricolage on
> Windows. If that's the case, then know this:
>
> 1. It should work.

I don't think so. What about the Perl modules we use that don't work on
Windows? Likely suspects include Cache::Mmap and Unix::Syslog, but surely
there are more. Even in cases where modules can be made to work, surely
they'll require installation work which is not adequately described
anywhere (ex. installing expat and iconv on Windows).

I think a more accurate statement would be "it won't work, but it should
be possible to make it work with some development."

-sam

Re: [Bricolage-General] Creating a Web Server [ In reply to ]
On Wednesday, December 18, 2002, at 10:21 AM, Sam Tregar wrote:

> I think a more accurate statement would be "it won't work, but it
> should
> be possible to make it work with some development."

There you go. Caveat porter. :-)

David

RE: [Bricolage-General] Creating a Web Server [ In reply to ]
>It wasn't clear to me that you were planning to run Bricolage on
>Windows.

Sorry, I wasn't clear on that. Bricolage is running on a Linux box, but our
internal servers are (except for apache on the Linux box, and some
websphere stuff) all IIS. Bricolage is up and running, it's just that I am
not keeping up with it:)

So if I specify a server name and a virtual directory on IIS, I won't stomp
on anything?

Another question, though. Would a pdf or office doc be served as media or as
a special type of story?

Clearly, I am unclear on the concept. But I have to have an answer within a
couple of weeks. I don't have to know how to do everything, but I have to
know that it's possible.

thanks

gh

Re: [Bricolage-General] Creating a Web Server [ In reply to ]
On Wednesday, December 18, 2002, at 11:17 AM, Harrison, George (FSH)
wrote:

> Sorry, I wasn't clear on that. Bricolage is running on a Linux box,
> but our
> internal servers are (except for apache on the Linux box, and some
> websphere stuff) all IIS. Bricolage is up and running, it's just that
> I am
> not keeping up with it:)

Cool, perfect.

> So if I specify a server name and a virtual directory on IIS, I won't
> stomp
> on anything?

You'll need to mount the NT directory from your Linux box. Then it'll
just be another directory to Linux. Then set Bricolage up to copy files
to that destination. If the files that Bricolage distributes have the
same file/path names as files on your NT box, they will be overwritten.
This is considered a feature, as you'll generally want new content to
replace older content -- or put it in a different location.

> Another question, though. Would a pdf or office doc be served as media
> or as
> a special type of story?

Any time you want to upload a file into the system, it's a Media asset.

> Clearly, I am unclear on the concept. But I have to have an answer
> within a
> couple of weeks. I don't have to know how to do everything, but I have
> know that it's possible.

Ask away -- this is the right place to do it!

Best,

David

PS: Is anybody keeping track of questions like this to be added the FAQ?

AW: [Bricolage-General] Creating a Web Server [ In reply to ]
> > 1. It should work.
>
> I don't think so. What about the Perl modules we use that
> don't work on Windows? Likely suspects include Cache::Mmap
> and Unix::Syslog, but surely there are more. Even in cases
> where modules can be made to work, surely they'll require
> installation work which is not adequately described anywhere
> (ex. installing expat and iconv on Windows).

Sam is correct, i was a victim of that problem. I gave up and installed
it on a separate linux machine, because of the trouble.

Actually i spent a lot of time at fixing the install/prerequisite
scripts (They are not running out of the box on win32). And stopped
after some time.

I will prepare an exact report what bugs.

Murat

Re: AW: [Bricolage-General] Creating a Web Server [ In reply to ]
On Thursday, December 19, 2002, at 02:50 AM, Murat Ünalan wrote:

> Actually i spent a lot of time at fixing the install/prerequisite
> scripts (They are not running out of the box on win32). And stopped
> after some time.
>
> I will prepare an exact report what bugs.

That will be helpful -- thanks!

David