Mailing List Archive

[Bricolage-General] Re: [Bricolage-Devel] top-level elements, naming, and workflow [was Re: Element Redesign Feedback Requested]
D'oh that should read NOT in favor!!!!

And it looks as though arbitrary naming is OK with some.

[Bricolage-General] Re: [Bricolage-Devel] top-level elements, naming, and workflow [was Re: Element Redesign Feedback Requested] [ In reply to ]
On Friday, December 6, 2002, at 02:12 PM, Michael Slattery wrote:

> Hmmm.. Should we propose that a facility gets built (maybe just at
> the config level) that allows us name our top level elements whatever
> we want? And make them manifold, not just Documents, but any number,
> so one could have Stories and Media, and another could have Product
> Profiles and Catalog Images?

Those are just Document Types, so yes.

> Sam's comment is prompting a big question for me, which is, do we
> propose to attach a workflow to any top level element?
> This is this addressed in the (still unnumbered! ) * Implement A Media
> Upload Field section, but it seems to be defined in the negative.

I don't see it as a one-to-one relationship, but with a workflow
redesign (which, now that I think about it, might be necessitated by
the element redesign sooner rather than later), you'll be able, in a
Workflow profile, to select which Document Types can be managed in a
particular workflow. If you specify only one document type, then that
one can be used to create the "New", "Find", and "Active" side nav
items.

For example, let's say you have two document types you've created,
called "Story" and "Column". Then let's say you create a new workflow,
and name it "Story." If you then only select the "Story" document type
to be managed in that workflow, then, when the Workflow menus get drawn
in the Side nav, it'll say, "Find Stories", "New Story", and "Active
Stories". [.Note to self: Allow a plural form of the name of a document
type.] If you specify that both "Story" and "Column" document types can
be managed in your "Story" workflow, then those side nav items will
default to "Find Documents", "New Document", and "Active Documents".

Either way, when you go to do a search for documents from that
workflow's "Find "Stories" or "Find Documents" menu item, the search
will be implicitly limited to those document types you've allowed to be
managed in that workflow. If you've allowed more than one type of
document to be managed in that workflow, then you'll be able to select
one or more of them to qualify your search.

> Right now, I am in favor of making this change unless workflow could
> be attached to admin-defined groups of top-level elements.

From your other post, I assume you mean "not in favor". However, I hope
that my comments here have helped to address your concerns.

Regards,

David

--
David Wheeler AIM: dwTheory
david@wheeler.net ICQ: 15726394

[Bricolage-General] Re: [Bricolage-Devel] top-level elements, naming, and workflow [was Re: Element Redesign Feedback Requested] [ In reply to ]
Oooh, I really like what's being said here!

[Bricolage-General] Re: [Bricolage-Devel] top-level elements, naming, and workflow [was Re: Element Redesign Feedback Requested] [ In reply to ]
On Friday, December 6, 2002, at 03:09 PM, Michael Slattery wrote:

> Oooh, I really like what's being said here!

Oh, good, I'm finally being clear!

Just to reiterate for Sam, though, my proposal would allow you as
element administrator to largely duplicate the division between stories
and media that you have now. Hell, it might even make sense to allow
the new workflow profile to have a field you can fill in for the menu
items in the side nav, so that it can say "New Whatever", "Find
Whatever", and "Active Whatever". Actually, I think that this is a
better idea than using the name of the document types.

Best,

David

[Bricolage-General] Re: [Bricolage-Devel] top-level elements, naming, and workflow [was Re: Element Redesign Feedback Requested] [ In reply to ]
On Fri, 6 Dec 2002, David Wheeler wrote:

> Just to reiterate for Sam, though, my proposal would allow you as
> element administrator to largely duplicate the division between stories
> and media that you have now. Hell, it might even make sense to allow
> the new workflow profile to have a field you can fill in for the menu
> items in the side nav, so that it can say "New Whatever", "Find
> Whatever", and "Active Whatever". Actually, I think that this is a
> better idea than using the name of the document types.

This seems to me to be a lot of added complexity with very little to
recommend it. That said, if you're committed to building a CMS
construction set that can reproduce the current Story/Media interface then
I really have nothing to complain about!

-sam

[Bricolage-General] Re: [Bricolage-Devel] top-level elements, naming, and workflow [was Re: Element Redesign Feedback Requested] [ In reply to ]
On Friday, December 6, 2002, at 03:20 PM, Sam Tregar wrote:

> This seems to me to be a lot of added complexity with very little to
> recommend it. That said, if you're committed to building a CMS
> construction set that can reproduce the current Story/Media interface
> then
> I really have nothing to complain about!

I see it as a simplification, but I'm glad you approve. :-)

David

Re: [Bricolage-General] Re: [Bricolage-Devel] top-level elements, naming, and workflow [was Re: Element Redesign Feedback Requested] [ In reply to ]
David Wheeler wrote:
> Just to reiterate for Sam, though, my proposal would allow you as
> element administrator to largely duplicate the division between stories
> and media that you have now. Hell, it might even make sense to allow
> the new workflow profile to have a field you can fill in for the menu
> items in the side nav, so that it can say "New Whatever", "Find
> Whatever", and "Active Whatever". Actually, I think that this is a
> better idea than using the name of the document types.

I think this is making good sense for us too.

[Bricolage-General] Re: [Bricolage-Devel] top-level elements, naming, and workflow [was Re: Element Redesign Feedback Requested] [ In reply to ]
David Wheeler wrote:
> On Friday, December 6, 2002, at 03:20 PM, Sam Tregar wrote:
>
> >This seems to me to be a lot of added complexity with very little to
> >recommend it. That said, if you're committed to building a CMS
> >construction set that can reproduce the current Story/Media interface
> >then
> >I really have nothing to complain about!
>
> I see it as a simplification, but I'm glad you approve. :-)

Me too, since it improves the level of code re-use, without
loosing any functionality.