Mailing List Archive

[Bricolage-General] top-level elements, naming, and workflow [was Re: Element Redesign Feedback Requested]
On Friday, December 6, 2002, at 04:26 PM, Sam Tregar wrote:

> On Fri, 6 Dec 2002, David Wheeler wrote:
>
>> How do you feel about having "Story" and "Media" merged into the
>> single
>> concept of a "Document" in Bricolage? How will this hurt/help how you
>> work with Bricolage in the future?
>
> Desiging software is about choosing metaphors that match the way your
> users think. In our usage of Bricolage, as a publishing system for
> online
> magazines, it is obvious that our users maintain a mental distinction
> between Stories and Media. Removing this divide will make our use of
> the
> software more difficult. Thus, I am against this change.

Hmmm.. Should we propose that a facility gets built (maybe just at the
config level) that allows us name our top level elements whatever we
want? And make them manifold, not just Documents, but any number, so
one could have Stories and Media, and another could have Product
Profiles and Catalog Images?

Sam's comment is prompting a big question for me, which is, do we
propose to attach a workflow to any top level element?
This is this addressed in the (still unnumbered! ) * Implement A Media
Upload Field section, but it seems to be defined in the negative.

Right now, I am in favor of making this change unless workflow could be
attached to admin-defined groups of top-level elements.