Mailing List Archive

[Bricolage-General] Installing Bricolage with mod_vhost_alias
Hi,

I've been trying to install Bricolage 1.4.5 in a RedHat 7.0 box with apache
using mod_vhost_alias. This module allows the creation of dynamically
configured virtual hosts (http://httpd.apache.org/docs/mod/mod_vhost_alias.html)

So, I made the following simlink:
/var/www/<domain>/jornal/html -> /usr/local/bricolage/comp

Bricolage will run in http://jornal.<domain>/

Then, I've added a .htaccess file to /usr/local/bricolage/comp containing:

>PerlAccessHandler Bric::App::AccessHandler
>PerlHandler Bric::App::Handler
>RedirectMatch permanent .*\/favicon\.ico$ /media/images/favicon.ico
>PerlCleanupHandler Bric::App::CleanupHandler
>SetHandler perl-script

And the following lines to the end of httpd.conf:

# Bricolage Definition
<IfModule mod_perl.c>
PerlPassEnv BRICOLAGE_ROOT
PerlModule Bric::App::ApacheConfig
<Location http://jornal.<domain>/login>
PerlHandler Bric::App::Handler
PerlCleanupHandler Bric::App::CleanupHandler
PerlAccessHandler Bric::App::AccessHandler::okay
SetHandler perl-script
</Location>
<Location http://jornal.<domain>/logout>
PerlCleanupHandler Bric::App::CleanupHandler
PerlAccessHandler Bric::App::AccessHandler::logout_handler
</Location>
<Location http://jornal.<domain>/soap>
PerlHandler Bric::SOAP::Handler
PerlAccessHandler Apache::OK
SetHandler perl-script
</Location>
<Location http://jornal.<domain>/data>
SetHandler default-handler
</Location>
<Location http://jornal.<domain>/data/preview>
PerlFixupHandler "sub { $_[0]->no_cache(1); return
Apache::OK; }"
</Location>
<Location http://jornal.<domain>/dist>
PerlHandler Bric::Dist::Handler
SetHandler perl-script
</Location>
<Location http://jornal.<domain>/media>
PerlCleanupHandler Apache::OK
PerlAccessHandler Apache::OK
SetHandler default-handler
</Location>
PerlTransHandler Bric::App::PreviewHandler::uri_handler
</IfModule>

In bricolage.conf I've put:

APACHE_CONF = /etc/httpd/conf/httpd.conf

I commented the NAME_VHOST and VHOST_SERVER_NAME lines and

MANUAL_APACHE = On

After I've restarted apache using
/usr/local/bricolage/bin/bric_apachectl start

when I try to access to
http://jornal.<domain>/

the page loads forever without showing nothing, and I only see lines with
[error] access to /login failed for 213.22.140.22, reason: No cookie found.

in error_log.
Are there any other log files? To find whats really happening?

I would really apprecite some kind of help.
Best regards,
Sérgio Nunes

Re: [Bricolage-General] Installing Bricolage with mod_vhost_alias [ In reply to ]
On Sun, 1 Dec 2002 ssn@icicom.up.pt wrote:

> I've been trying to install Bricolage 1.4.5 in a RedHat 7.0 box with apache
> using mod_vhost_alias.

Why? Are you trying to run multiple separate Bricolage servers inside a
single Apache? That won't work. Bricolage uses a single global
configuration (bricolage.conf) for the whole server. Thus, for multiple
sites you will need to setup multiple Apache processes.

-sam

Re: [Bricolage-General] Installing Bricolage with mod_vhost_alias [ In reply to ]
On Mon, 2 Dec 2002 ssn@icicom.up.pt wrote:

> I think that mod_vhost_alias is similar to virtual hosts so it should be
> possible to use it with Bricolage... no?

Bricolage gets pretty personal with the Apache configuration. As such, I
doubt it will work with anything but plain vanilla vhosts.

> Any idea where should I begin exploring? When I hit the URL it just
> loads forever, the status bar shows: "Sending request...".

You might look around to see if anyone else has gotten mod_vhost_alias to
work with mod_perl. Maybe there's some trick that could be added to
Bricolage.

-sam

Re: [Bricolage-General] Installing Bricolage with mod_vhost_alias [ In reply to ]
> On Mon, 2 Dec 2002 sam@tregar.com wrote:
> Why? Are you trying to run multiple separate Bricolage servers inside a
> single Apache? That won't work. Bricolage uses a single global
> configuration (bricolage.conf) for the whole server. Thus, for multiple
> sites you will need to setup multiple Apache processes.

No. I only want a single Bricolage server, but we've always used
mod_vhost_alias because it give us more flexibility and it's easier to use :) .
We have a lot of subdomains in this server.

Re: [Bricolage-General] Installing Bricolage with mod_vhost_alias [ In reply to ]
It's probably possible to use mod_vhost_alias,
and since you're with you're reconfiguring stuff,
you'll probably enjoy the power of
Bric::App::ApacheConfig (lib/Bric/App/ApacheConfig.pm)

That's where all the apache configuration is handled,
depending on the configuration you have in bricolage.conf.

We've successfully managed to get (hit me!) PHP being loaded
if there's a "PHP_ENABLE" option in bricolage.conf, so
if you can use mod_php, you probably can mod_vhost_alias :).

The entry for enabling PHP is:

# This URI will handle all php stuff (Media galleries, etc).
$locs{"/php"} = {
SetHandler => 'application/x-httpd-php',
PerlAccessHandler => 'Apache::OK',
PerlCleanupHandler => 'Apache::OK',
($DEBUGGING ?
(PerlFixupHandler => 'Apache::OK') : ()),
} if ENABLE_PHP;

BTW, we've recently installed Linux in a Microsoft Xbox, and
Bricolage runs quite nicely (with postgres on the same server).

This was quite a surprise for me, since the console only has
64MB of RAM memory.

JP

On Mon, 2002-12-02 at 19:40, Sam Tregar wrote:
> On Mon, 2 Dec 2002 ssn@icicom.up.pt wrote:
>
> > I think that mod_vhost_alias is similar to virtual hosts so it should be
> > possible to use it with Bricolage... no?
>
> Bricolage gets pretty personal with the Apache configuration. As such, I
> doubt it will work with anything but plain vanilla vhosts.
>
> > Any idea where should I begin exploring? When I hit the URL it just
> > loads forever, the status bar shows: "Sending request...".
>
> You might look around to see if anyone else has gotten mod_vhost_alias to
> work with mod_perl. Maybe there's some trick that could be added to
> Bricolage.
>
> -sam

João Pedro Gonçalves
http://www.sapo.pt/ - Portugal Online

Re: [Bricolage-General] Installing Bricolage with mod_vhost_alias [ In reply to ]

> You might look around to see if anyone else has gotten mod_vhost_alias to
> work with mod_perl. Maybe there's some trick that could be added to
> Bricolage.

I'm hopping that it will work :) And I think that mod_perl is working fine
right now... the problem seems to be somewhere else.
I need to do some debugging, since I'm only getting (lots of) "cookie not
found" messages in apache's error_log where else can I enable "debug mode" or
start looking for messages?

Thanks,
Sérgio Nunes

Re: [Bricolage-General] Installing Bricolage with mod_vhost_alias [ In reply to ]
On Monday, December 2, 2002, at 01:32 PM, ssn@icicom.up.pt wrote:

> I'm hopping that it will work :) And I think that mod_perl is working
> fine
> right now... the problem seems to be somewhere else.
> I need to do some debugging, since I'm only getting (lots of) "cookie
> not
> found" messages in apache's error_log where else can I enable "debug
> mode" or
> start looking for messages?

Read Bric::Hacker.

http://bricolage.cc/docs/Bric/Hacker.html

David

--
David Wheeler AIM: dwTheory
david@wheeler.net ICQ: 15726394

Re: [Bricolage-General] Installing Bricolage with mod_vhost_alias [ In reply to ]
On Monday, December 2, 2002, at 12:06 PM, Joao Pedro Goncalves wrote:

> We've successfully managed to get (hit me!) PHP being loaded
> if there's a "PHP_ENABLE" option in bricolage.conf, so
> if you can use mod_php, you probably can mod_vhost_alias :).

Joao Pedro Goncalves, you are a very, very sick man.

> BTW, we've recently installed Linux in a Microsoft Xbox, and
> Bricolage runs quite nicely (with postgres on the same server).

Very sick.

I mean that in the best sense, BTW. :-)

Regards,

David

Re: [Bricolage-General] Installing Bricolage with mod_vhost_alias [ In reply to ]
An update on my installation.

I've changed all the <Location> directives in httpd.conf to <Directory>
directives, because Location can't handled fully qualified URLs.
Anyone sees a potencial problem in doing so?

Now, when I hit the server, I don't get redirected forever but insted I see the
source code of the login page. I think apache is not executing my perl scripts.
Any sugestion about where to start looking?

Thanks in advance,
Sérgio Nunes

Re: [Bricolage-General] Installing Bricolage with mod_vhost_alias [ In reply to ]
On Tuesday, December 3, 2002, at 06:52 AM, ssn@icicom.up.pt wrote:

> Now, when I hit the server, I don't get redirected forever but insted
> I see the
> source code of the login page. I think apache is not executing my perl
> scripts.
> Any sugestion about where to start looking?

Make sure you have

DefaultType text/html

David