Von: David Wheeler [mailto:david@wheeler.net]
Gesendet: Montag, 25. November 2002 18:24
An: Michael Zehrer
Betreff: Re: AW: [Bricolage-General] More detailed examples?

On Monday, November 25, 2002, at 09:15 AM, Michael Zehrer wrote:

> Ok, I will do that, do you know when your part will be online?

You'll have to ask Dave and Ken. Pop them an email on mason-users.

> But just for general understanding, elements like the Columns from the
> element example (for the three column layout) are never used inside
the
> editor just in templates, right? So I cannot "compose" pages in the
> editor?

It depends on your needs. In the example, the "Column" is editable in
the UI, IIRC. But you don't have to design your elements that way.

As an example, in the recent work I've done for Macworld, they have a
top nav and a left nav and a right column with advertising. All of
these are created via server-side includes, and are not editable in the
UI. This allows them to remain consistent across the site, and
updatable from a single location (a template that generates an SSI or a
static SSI document managed as a Media asset).

But other folks out there have set it up so that an editor *can* edit a
left nav or equivalent component, say by ordering the appearance of
subelements. It all depends on the needs of your site and the documents
you manage. As a rule of thumb, I try to provide in editable elements
only what an editor needs to actually edit in a story, and handle
navigation and such in separate SSIs and such.

HTH,

David

--
David Wheeler AIM: dwTheory
david@wheeler.net ICQ: 15726394

Re: AW: AW: [Bricolage-General] More detailed examples? [ In reply to ]
On Tuesday, November 26, 2002, at 02:50 AM, Michael Zehrer wrote:

> can you tell me where I can edit thes Columns from the elements example
> in the UI?

Oh, I just realized that there is no default "Column" column. But you
can create one. Read Bric::ElementAdmin for details on creating your
own elements. It's also available online here:

http://bricolage.cc/docs/Bric/ElementAdmin.html

Regards,

David