Mailing List Archive

[Bricolage-General] HTML::Mason >= v1.15?
I'm sorry if I missed a previous post about this, but can I assume there
is a plan to port Bricolage to HTML::Mason versions >= v1.15? I believe
the current Bricolage v1.4.5 is only compatable with HTML::Mason v1.0.

Thanks.

--Aaron

Re: [Bricolage-General] HTML::Mason >= v1.15? [ In reply to ]
On Thursday, November 14, 2002, at 08:08 AM, Aaron Paetznick wrote:

> I'm sorry if I missed a previous post about this, but can I assume
> there is a plan to port Bricolage to HTML::Mason versions >= v1.15? I
> believe the current Bricolage v1.4.5 is only compatable with
> HTML::Mason v1.0.

That's correct. A port is currently underway, and will likely be
included in the 1.6.0 release. No date on that yet, though I would
guess before the end of the year.

Regards,

David

--
David Wheeler AIM: dwTheory
david@wheeler.net ICQ: 15726394

Re: [Bricolage-General] HTML::Mason >= v1.15? [ In reply to ]
At 08:16 AM 11/14/02 -0800, David Wheeler wrote:
>On Thursday, November 14, 2002, at 08:08 AM, Aaron Paetznick wrote:
>
>>I'm sorry if I missed a previous post about this, but can I assume there
>>is a plan to port Bricolage to HTML::Mason versions >= v1.15? I believe
>>the current Bricolage v1.4.5 is only compatable with HTML::Mason v1.0.
>
>That's correct. A port is currently underway, and will likely be included
>in the 1.6.0 release. No date on that yet, though I would guess before the
>end of the year.

I'm curious if the porting will be able to handle BOTH versions of Mason or
if using Bric 1.6.0 will require Mason 1.15.

Drew

--
Drew Taylor | Web development & consulting
http://www.drewtaylor.com/ | perl/mod_perl/DBI/mysql/postgres
Re: [Bricolage-General] HTML::Mason >= v1.15? [ In reply to ]
On Thursday, November 14, 2002, at 09:02 AM, Drew Taylor wrote:

> I'm curious if the porting will be able to handle BOTH versions of
> Mason or if using Bric 1.6.0 will require Mason 1.15.

Well, I'm not working on the port; Scott is. However, if he's following
the pointers I gave him, it will require Mason 1.15. Bricolage
currently exploits a number of undocumented Mason 1.0x features, and we
can make it use only documented features with 1.1x (indeed, we have to,
since some of those undocumented features are gone now) by subclassing
Mason.

Scott, is that the plan you're following?

Regards,

David

Re: [Bricolage-General] HTML::Mason >= v1.15? [ In reply to ]
On Thu, 14 Nov 2002, David Wheeler wrote:
> Well, I'm not working on the port; Scott is. However, if he's following
> the pointers I gave him, it will require Mason 1.15. Bricolage
> currently exploits a number of undocumented Mason 1.0x features, and we
> can make it use only documented features with 1.1x (indeed, we have to,
> since some of those undocumented features are gone now) by subclassing
> Mason.
>
> Scott, is that the plan you're following?

Yes. We could consider keeping it in:

Is it possible to support both versions? Yes, I think
it would be fairly easy but might be annoying to maintain.
(Also a slight performance penalty with the "if" statements :)

Why keep 1.0x support? For existing users, presumably.
But switching to 1.1x seems to only affect the "Component Syntax"
(templates), and those component methods that were renamed are
deprecated (in HTML::Mason) but still work.

[insert your arguments here]

Re: [Bricolage-General] HTML::Mason >= v1.15? [ In reply to ]
On Thursday, November 14, 2002, at 12:44 PM, Scott Lanning wrote:

>> Scott, is that the plan you're following?
>
> Yes. We could consider keeping it in:
>
> Is it possible to support both versions? Yes, I think
> it would be fairly easy but might be annoying to maintain.
> (Also a slight performance penalty with the "if" statements :)

Well, since we're only going to support one at a time, you could
probably set a constant in a BEGIN block and use that in your "if"
statements. The perl compiler would then optimize away the irrelevant
parts of the if statements.

> Why keep 1.0x support? For existing users, presumably.
> But switching to 1.1x seems to only affect the "Component Syntax"
> (templates), and those component methods that were renamed are
> deprecated (in HTML::Mason) but still work.

Well, how does 1.1x affect templates? Will template developers need to
change their templates in any way to support 1.1x? My impression was
that, by and large, they would not, so there was little reason to keep
supporting 1.0x. But if I'm wrong, then I think it'd be good to support
them both for at least one major version (and throwing a warning at
startup) and then removing the 1.0x support in the next major version.

Regards,

David