system into Bricolage? How to import a story alltogether with
related media?

Regards, Zdravko.
Re: exporting stries from other systems [ In reply to ]
On Dec 15, 2009, at 1:03 AM, Zdravko Balorda wrote:

> has anyone tried exporting stories and media from some other
> system into Bricolage?

Many people have.

> How to import a story alltogether with
> related media?

pass the --all option to bric_soap when you export stories.

HTH,

David
Re: exporting stries from other systems [ In reply to ]
Hi Zdravko,

There's a thread about it here:
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/bricolage/devel/35684

John was looking at importing from Tumblr and Wordpress; I was working with an Atom feed. bric_soap is your friend and can handle stories + related media just fine.

--Greg

Re: exporting stries from other systems [ In reply to ]
Greg Heo wrote:
> Hi Zdravko,
>
> There's a thread about it here:
> http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/bricolage/devel/35684

Excellent! This is a good starting point because I have mostly
the same questions. Mimicking bric_soap is not that
straightforward, while the power of it is amazing. I wonder
has anyone ever crashed bricolage by bric_soap?

Regards, Zdravko
Re: exporting stries from other systems [ In reply to ]
On Dec 15, 2009, at 11:47 PM, Zdravko Balorda wrote:

> Excellent! This is a good starting point because I have mostly
> the same questions. Mimicking bric_soap is not that
> straightforward, while the power of it is amazing. I wonder
> has anyone ever crashed bricolage by bric_soap?

Only when there's a bug. If you're exporting a lot stuff you should use --chunks so as not to run out of memory.

Best,

David
Re: exporting stries from other systems [ In reply to ]
> Only when there's a bug. If you're exporting a lot stuff you should
> use --chunks so as not to run out of memory.

Good. I can't figure out the difference between the three dates:
cover_date, publish_date, first_publish_date. What should one put
there when importing a story? And where is the expire_date? In my
example of exported Bricolage story there is no expire_date.

Regards, Zdravko.
Re: exporting stries from other systems [ In reply to ]
On Dec 18, 2009, at 1:30 AM, Zdravko Balorda wrote:

>> Only when there's a bug. If you're exporting a lot stuff you should
>> use --chunks so as not to run out of memory.
>
> Good. I can't figure out the difference between the three dates:
> cover_date, publish_date, first_publish_date. What should one put
> there when importing a story? And where is the expire_date? In my
> example of exported Bricolage story there is no expire_date.

This should be in the FAQ, frankly.

1. Cover Date: Date you want associated with a story. Usually the dateline. It can be arbitrary because a lot of organizations publish things early. For example, the January issue of Macworld comes out in December.

2. Publish Date: Date a story was last published by Bricolage.

3. First Publish Date: Date a story was first published by Bricolage.

Usually you don't populate the latter two when importing into Bricolage, and Bricolage fills them in when you publish them from Bricolage. But some folks populate them and mark a story published based on when it was actually published to a site (if you're migrating existing content, for example).

HTH,

David